My first Rig and I need Help

So as the title says it. I'm building my first rig and I need help. Its going to be a gamin Rig.
The specs I want to build are:
  1. Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower
  2. ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
  3. Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
  4. 8GB 1600 RAM
  5. GTX 680 2GB
  6. Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W Continuo
  7. Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20060572

With the monitor and everything else I hit right at my budget mark of $1,500
I'm just worried that the Mobo, SPU and GPU won't be compatible with the case and viceversa. So I would like to know if you guys see any compatibility issues between this components. Kinda nervous cause I don't want to buy the wrong parts :confused:

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I would get the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H over the Asus. Dont get a Roadkill power supply. Stick with Corsair/PC Power&Cooling/Silverstone/XFX/Antec/Seasonic.

Holiday

I had two different WD 500GB hard drives, WD5000KS and WD5000AAKS. The WD5000KS suddenly stopped working one day and I lost all my data, all it could do is play "the click of death" song... I bought the WD5000AAKS as a replacement, after a while it started to fail. I had extremely slow read and write speeds and when trying to run the WD S.M.A.R.T. test, the test program would just error. I am never buying WD again.

On another note, you should look into a solid state drive. I recently built a computer and I got the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for my OS and programs. It's super fast!

Everything listed looks compatible to me!

Last edited:

Gun

If you're just going to be gaming then you won't need an i7. The only advantage of an i7 is Hyperthreading which doesn't help gaming. Although you might want to get it if you're going to be editing or something in the near future. It's your choice :).

I had two different WD 500GB hard drives, WD5000KS and WD5000AAKS. The WD5000KS suddenly stopped working one day and I lost all my data, all it could do is play "the click of death" song... I bought the WD5000AAKS as a replacement, after a while it started to fail. I had extremely slow read and write speeds and when trying to run the WD S.M.A.R.T. test, the test program would just error. I am never buying WD again.

Considering his problem, I'd choice Seagate for your harddrive. They're a really good brand :).

Also, can you link us to the specific RAM you have. You've only written 8GB 1600.

Last edited:
Thank for the replies so far guys. I wasn't expecting to get them so soon.
I'm not sure about the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, reviews on NewEgg are iffy, and there seems to be a pretty common issue with them.
I have heard a lot of good things about Rosewill products, but in your reccomendation for a good PSU I will look for a major brand (don't want no accidents XD).
For the HDD: I can't really afford a SSD at this moment I just need something temporary that will hold all my games while I get more money for an SSD but I will definelty look for another brand, TBH you kinda Scared me away from Wester Digital:(
For the CPU: I know a little bit about Hyperthreading and that games do not really benefit from it, however I'm a full time student and I never know when I will need to render a video or something in those lines, so I'm sticking with the 3770 for future proof.

Thanks for all the great replies. Please keep them coming. PS: I have put a link to the New Egg wish list.
:)

Okedokey

Yeah avoid rosewill. Don't pay any credibility to newegg feedback. I agree, downgrade the CPU and get an SSD, will by far be a better bang for buck.

Holiday

I Currently have the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB which has been working great so far! Also to point at an interesting fact, the WD drive you posted is SATA 6.0Gb/s (SATA III) where as the SAMSUNG Spinpoint is only SATA 3.0Gb/s (SATA II). The interesting part is that 3.0Gb/s is equal to 384 MB/s and the WD drive has a transfer rate of (Buffer to Disk): 126 MB/s (Max). So it would be safe to assume that the only reason it's 6.0Gb/s is to attempt to make people think that the drive is faster than a SATA II drive.

wolfeking

banned
actually not. the main thing they are doing there has to do with burst rate and the backwards and forwards compatibility. It will not help to have a SATA III drive there, but it will not hurt either. They are not trying to say it is faster, but rather that you can use it on a SATA III without issue.

tech savvy

Yeah avoid rosewill. Don't pay any credibility to newegg feedback. I agree, downgrade the CPU and get an SSD, will by far be a better bang for buck.

Why would you say that? That is the most credibility of buying a product, the reviews. If they're a "Verified Owner", and more then half are having the same problem, im listing to it.

OP. Change the PSU to more of a reliable brand, Corsair, XFX, Antec, SeaSonic, PC Power and Cooling, and Silver Stone. I do agree with the i5 over the i7 to get an SSD. Also, change the WD Blue to WD Black, or, get a Seagate Barracuda. Other then that, your good to go.

Okedokey

Why would you say that? That is the most credibility of buying a product, the reviews. If they're a "Verified Owner", and more then half are having the same problem, im listing to it.

OP. Change the PSU to more of a reliable brand, Corsair, XFX, Antec, SeaSonic, PC Power and Cooling, and Silver Stone. I do agree with the i5 over the i7 to get an SSD. Also, change the WD Blue to WD Black, or, get a Seagate Barracuda. Other then that, your good to go.

Because anyone who knows anythign about these newegg voting system knows it bs.

wolfeking

banned
Why would you say that?
Personally I do not trust them either. Reviews such as
newegg said:
Pros: None, does not work at all

Cons: Does not fit at all

Other Thoughts: I got tired of my slow pentium 4 so I bought this to replace it. Well this piece will not fit in the slot at all. What a piece of garbage.
shows exactly why. That is on a 2500k from a verified owner with tech level saying 5.

Most people that do reviews only do them if they have an issue. Even then, if they are not reporting an issue, they probably will not come back to report later issues. Probably bet pretty well that most issues come from a lack of knowledge on how to use it properly.

azeem40

Because they are not professionals and they are mostly basing it on fanboyism or something that happened during shipment.

tech savvy

Because anyone who knows anythign about these newegg voting system knows it bs.

Because they are not professionals and they are mostly basing it on fanboyism or something that happened during shipment.

Im glad ya'll think you know everything. I've bought from newegg(my entire rig)and left reviews about the products I bought, which by the way arent BS, just the truth and nothing but the truth.

Edit: BTW, the reviews are under Tech Savvy if ya wanna look.

Last edited:

azeem40

tech savvy

LMFAO, really. I can see if they weren't "Verified Owners". Why would an AMD fanboy buy Intel(Verified Owners) just to talk sh!t about it?

tech savvy

Personally I do not trust them either. Reviews such as
shows exactly why. That is on a 2500k from a verified owner with tech level saying 5.

Most people that do reviews only do them if they have an issue. Even then, if they are not reporting an issue, they probably will not come back to report later issues. Probably bet pretty well that most issues come from a lack of knowledge on how to use it properly.

First, it's a 2550k not a 2500k. And it's not my fualt that someone dont know what there buying, lmfao.

azeem40

I see there is no convincing you, so you just stick to believing newegg reviews are to be considered with something more than a grain of salt.

tech savvy

I see there is no convincing you, so you just stick to believing newegg reviews are to be considered with something more than a grain of salt.

No offence, but are you retarded? Just reviews in general, it can be from anywhere.

Edit: Enough is enough. Lets stop this high jack and get back to purpose of this thread.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
the review was on a damn 2500k. Don't believe me then fine.
Untitled-125.png

And your the one saying that reviews are selling the product. I know it is not your fault that americans are retards that can't read. That goes back years in the education systems. But diverging, if you are going to say that reviews on newegg are good, then you have to take into account that 75+% of the tech level 5 people have never seen the inside of a computer, and that there are a lot of them that buy something before even researching if it works.