My first Rig and I need Help

Yeap So I have decided to keep the Blackhawk case but I did update the PSU for the TX 650 as recommended. I still got some other things that I'm unsure about I'll let you guys know soon. Excited as can be boy!!!

Last edited:
First Rig Built Ever

Lets say I decided for the i5 2550k and was planing to mildly OC at 4.1ghz. What type of after market fan or cooler would I need? Can you guys find me one for under $25? If possible. Nothing fancy like Water Cooling.

spirit

Staff member
Well firstly don't get the 2550K, save money and get the 2500K. I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 on my 2500K and it's overclocked to 4.3GHz. Runs cool and no problems to report, so I'd get one of those. If you want a cheaper one, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7/Freezer 7 Pro should do the job.

Thank you, looking good guys. Anyone know were I can find a blue backlit keyboard for $35 or less? It don't have to be nothing major, just something that looks and feels nice, all I need is that is responsive for like BF3 or MP3 (FPS) Something that doesn't feel cheap.

Yes guys I'm this much of a noob when it comes up to PC stuff, I swear to god I'm not just being lazy.

Last edited:

tech savvy

Thank you, looking good guys. Anyone know were I can find a blue backlit keyboard for $35 or less? It don't have to be nothing major, just something that looks and feels nice, all I need is that is responsive for like BF3 or MP3 (FPS) Something that doesn't feel cheap.

Yes guys I'm this much of a noob when it comes up to PC stuff, I swear to god I'm not just being lazy.

For $35 or less, your not getting much. I found this one, which is probably your best bet for under $35, here- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

tech savvy

Well firstly don't get the 2550K, save money and get the 2500K. I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 on my 2500K and it's overclocked to 4.3GHz. Runs cool and no problems to report, so I'd get one of those. If you want a cheaper one, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7/Freezer 7 Pro should do the job.

There's nothing wrong with the 2550k, and if anything, I believe it will clock higher with lower temps then the 2500k, do to it not having intergated graphics. I can OC my 2550k to 4.5 and stay under 55c under full load(Corsair H60). There's a few people on here that can vouch for this.

spirit

Staff member
There's nothing wrong with the 2550k, and if anything, I believe it will clock higher with lower temps then the 2500k, do to it not having intergated graphics. I can OC my 2550k to 4.5 and stay under 55c under full load(Corsair H60). There's a few people on here that can vouch for this.
What's the point in spending the extra on the 2550K when the 2500K is just as good and will easily overclock to 4.5GHz? I'm pretty sure a 2500K would OC to 4.5 and the temps would still be relatively low with an H60.

tech savvy

I'd rather keep the i5-2500k and not lose IGP for diagnostics.

I do agree. If your not computer savvy, I would suggest the 2500k, which would give you the IGP for diagnostics, if you suspect your GPU at fault.

What's the point in spending the extra on the 2550K when the 2500K is just as good and will easily overclock to 4.5GHz? I'm pretty sure a 2500K would OC to 4.5 and the temps would still be relatively low with an H60.

Nowhere in my statement did I say he should get the 2550k over the 2500k. I was just stating that the 2550k would give him better (CPU) performance at around the same price.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Nowhere in my statement did I say he should get the 2550k over the 2500k. I was just stating that the 2550k would give him better (CPU) performance at around the same price.
OK fair enough. Sorry about that. :/

But yeah, as mentioned, sometimes the onboard video the 2500K has can be very handy. I used it for a few months whilst I still saving for a GPU.

Okedokey

I do agree. If your not computer savvy, I would suggest the 2500k, which would give you the IGP for diagnostics, if you suspect your GPU at fault.

I wouldn't pay any premium for 100MHz.

Speakers

Since my case comes with standard Blue LEDs and my room is blue, I have decided to keep the Blue LED theme Going. Found this speakers with pretty good ratings with built in Blue LEDs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836150044&nm_mc=BAC-GDR&cm_mmc=BAC-GDR-_-dyn-_-NA-_-NA&gclid=CLWQ7dOI5bECFWlgTAodQEQACQ
Along with my Razer Abyssus With Blue LED and The Blue Backlit keyboard someone suggested. Freaking sick! I'm buying the parts in about 2 weeks and should have it all build pretty soon after.

Jiniix

(I wanna note that I haven't read EVERY post in this thread, as I don't care about flame wars)

I would definitely use the 300R, it's great for cable management and built like boss.
Corsair 300R @ Newegg (80$)

Before you question this suggestion, listen to this:
Given a GPU with roughly 88% of its CUDA cores enabled and slightly lower clock rates, we’d expect the GeForce GTX 670 to give up at least 12% of its performance compared to GeForce GTX 680. But then you start factoring in the complexities of GPU Boost and add on the fact that frame rates often don’t scale based on shader resources—particularly when an application isn’t bound by shader throughput.
Knowing all of that, it is still surprising to see our GeForce GTX 670 sample perform just 4.5% slower than our reference GeForce GTX 680—certainly less of a gap then we were told to expect.
- Toms Hardware
GTX 670 vs GTX 680 @ TomsHW

Gigabyte GTX 670
GA GTX 670 @ Newegg (399$)

Use the money saved on an SSD, the OCZ Agility 3 is good value.

As for PSU, all I can say is stay clear of Roadkill. I can however suggest the new line of Fractal Design Platinum series, although I haven't tried one myself.

Good luck!

azeem40

Excuse me? I am computer savvy. Wanting an IGP for diagnostics doesn't make someone less of a computer (insert lesser word for expert).

Jiniix

I don't feel like throwing wood on the fire, but the actual performance between 2550k and 2500k is miniscule. 100Mhz difference, but both will probably be overclocked at the same frequency anyway, where IGP could come in handy at some point.

I would also like to add to my previous post that the graphics card from NVIDIA has been personally recommended to me from a very tech knowlegdeable person I know. It's virtually silent (atleast in his Corsair 600D case) and being a GTX 670 it performs incredibly well.

You should also consider buying a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (35$), it's the best value CPU cooler in history!
I own 4 of these, and looking at reviews (real reviews) you clearly see that it is close to a D14 and way better than Freezer 13. I also own a D14, it is better, but waaaaay more expensive.

i7-2600K with ASUS P8P67 Pro @ 4.6GHz
i5-2500K with ASRock Z75 Pro3 @ 4.4GHz
Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 3.8GHz

All withing very reasonable temperatures (78C and under at full load (Large FFT via Prime95 v26.6))

Last edited: