my last attempt

Knunez

And do I really need an i5 2500K?

would it increase my FPS in games?

what is a amd CPU similar to the i5 but is cheaper?

thank you I appreciate all help:D

wolfeking

banned
thats a joke, right?

There is no AMD CPU that will perform right up there with the 2500k. There was a thread here the other day that showed a 1100T (990FX) vs 2500k (p67) on sli 590 (same as quad sli 570) and they were pretty close, but the 2500k came out ahead always.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Could do the build in your first post, get the 955 instead of the 2500K. Saves you a 100 bucks and up the video card to a 6950.

Knunez

I would also need to upgrade my PSU so It would work with SLI and Crossfire.

is 750w good enough?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You having a hard time making up your mind. No doubt though, every thread started bigfella comes along and tries to get everybody to go Intel. Then it just turns into a back and forth mess.

Why not a 6950? You would save 100 bucks on the CPU/ plus end up with a 16X/16X 990FX board that would support Zambezi when its released.

It all depends if you want to spend 100 bucks more for a 2500K for a extra few frames.

Its really up to you and nobody else which way to go.j

Knunez

You having a hard time making up your mind. No doubt though, every thread started bigfella comes along and tries to get everybody to go Intel. Then it just turns into a back and forth mess.

Why not a 6950? You would save 100 bucks on the CPU/ plus end up with a 16X/16X 990FX board that would support Zambezi when its released.

It all depends if you want to spend 100 bucks more for a 2500K for a extra few frames.

Its really up to you and nobody else which way to go.j

thank you,

one little question about AMD though.

the 955 processor is just a 965 but with a lower core clock,correct?

and If I OC the 955 to 3.4 ghz will I need an aftermarket cooler?

thank you:)

StrangleHold

Staff member
thank you,

one little question about AMD though.

the 955 processor is just a 965 but with a lower core clock,correct?

and If I OC the 955 to 3.4 ghz will I need an aftermarket cooler?

thank you:)

Not just to 3.4ghz. probably would do it with stock voltage. Voltage is what heats the CPU up. With a stock cooler I would not go over 1.4V. My (guess) with 1.4V you could probably get around 3.6ghz. It will vary alittle between processors. The 965 and 955 both clock close to the same.

Starting with the 970/975/980 you get alittle better yield core and can get a few more 100mhz out of it.

Or you could just get a 6950 that has 1gb. of memory, they are about 40 bucks cheaper then a 2gb. and the performance is close to the same and with the 40 buck get a after market cooler.

Last edited:

Okedokey

As i described Strangle, the 2500K is by far the better CPU and when someone is building a new system, i think it is only fair to let them know the options dont you?

Knunez

For 2 6950 I would get atleast a 750W. Antec/XFX/Corsair/PC Power&Cooling/Silverstone/Seasonic.

ok, thank you for clearing that up for me.

can you recommend me a good aftermarket heatsink and fan?

I don't know much about heatsinks and fans for CPU's:eek:

thank you

StrangleHold

Staff member
Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member