need computer for vid editing

bigscott

hi guys,
first post and not great with knowing what will work for me.
so i hope you guys can help.

im just getting into videos ( just picked up a canon vixia hf r400 )

but here's the catch , it need to be on a budget .

would like..
dvd / cd drive
wifi
bluetooth
duel monitor outputs
usb ports
fast
good speed , and good vid card and good audio card.
mulit takes ...

400 to 600 ??

and thats just for computer .. ill have to get some monitors later.
i have speakers/ amp with sub
bluetooth mouse
and keyboard.
card reader ( usb )
external dvd/cd drive

Last edited by a moderator:
I would reccomend building one yourself man, i do video editing myself and my specs work perfectly, though i to this day want a slightly more powerful graphics card... The only thing i would change is the OS, spend the money on windows, unless you want to learn luinx (a lot more faffing around than i expected)

apparently you can edit your posts, but i spent about 300 on my build in the end, so you have room to step up some off my specs.

bigscott

hi guys,
well im starting to do videos for youtube and now need a good cheap desktop pc that will handle hitfilm editing program.

here's the specs to run it..

Minimum system requirements
  • Windows PC - 64-bit version of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10
  • Apple Mac - OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.11 El Capitan or macOS 10.12 Sierra
  • 1.2 GB free hard disk space for installation
  • Internet connection required for online activation and web services
  • Intel Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or AMD equivalent
  • 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended)
  • Graphics processor with at least 512 MB video memory (2 GB or more recommended).
    Earliest graphics cards HitFilm supports:
    • NVIDIA GeForce 9 Series (2008)
    • AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series (2009)
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (GT2) (2012)
i found this but not sure if it will run it good..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INXJK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_25?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and thats my price range..

and the pc needs to be upgradable like vid card , mem, so i can make it work better for what i need.

not looking to do professional vids .

if these pc is not good to start with ( as i need something that will work ok/good right out of the box. then i can make it better with upgrades.

im using a acer laptop and its very slow running that program.

i have been thinking about that. but dont have a clue what to get. im sure i can put it together but knowing what parts work with what im lost.

from the reading i have done it sound like building one would be a little cheaper or a better one the buying say that one i listed.

im willing to spend $400 .. then i can upgrade down the road.
that may sound crazy but im disabled on only get so much a month ..

so i need to start out with something good for that price or cheaper.

o and i want to stick with windows 10 .

but im curious can that pc do good ?

what do you guys this about this setup ??

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1321552

i cant tell if this has bluetooth and wifi .

as what ever i get / build needs to have them.

bigscott

ya i know it was not complete. but was the bulk of whats needed..

what components do you recommend ?

as im thinking this will be my best option.

do you think the i3 is good enuff ? i really want i5 but..

what do you guys think ... if not what would you change ?

Screenshot (8).png

and ya a little more then $400 . but if thats a good setup then ill just have to buy what i can 1 month then get the rest the following month.

Screenshot (7).png

beers

Staff member
im looking at this m/b
There is a new amd platform coming out in a couple weeks, you can probably find a cheaper z270 board if you still wanted to go Intel. $100 ones aren't a huge stretch to find decent features etc. A lot of the time you'd pay a price premium on mini itx.

bigscott

im not aposted going with am3 ..
i just dont know enough to decide what would be better / cheaper ...

all this is very confusing for me. i was going to use the 6th gen i3 but for a little more money i could do the 15 . and maybe down the road get a i7 for it.
as it looks like most m/b for these can do all 3 ( i3 , i5 , i7 )

and if im going this route building a pc i want the most bang for my buck.

like m/b get one with a lot of upgrade potential .

there just so much out there im more clueless them i was to start with..lol

as im being a little picky.
i want 2 monitors
( would love to find a m/b with wifi / bluetooth ) but...
8gb ram . and 16gb down th road upgrade
quad core

thinking maybe this ..
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W

Deadpool

It is confusing. All 1151 socket motherboards support 6th and 7th generation i3, i5, i7, Celeron and Pentium CPUs.

The standard for video editing and content creation is the i7 6700k or 7700k. For heavier workstations you can either go 6800k or 6900k (as you can imagine, those are a bit on the expensive side of the world). What you need here is: a lot of cores with high speeds (with good floating point math performance), high memory bandwith and a decent GPU, since nowadays most programs can use GPU acceleration to take the load off the CPU. Also an SSD is recommended, bot not really necessary, if you are patient and you think you can restrain yourself from beating your computer to death

If you do plan to upgrade, go Intel. Otherwise wait for Zen (this is what I would do). The benchmarks are very promising. I think everybody would agree that something like this would be ideal:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($126.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Plextor M6S 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Raidmax Narwhal ATX Full Tower Case ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1200.89

(The PSU is big in case you want to add another 480 later)

beers

Staff member
No seriously, I said ideal because I know he can't afford it. It's just a model for the future or just for educational purposes.
Why not just post a quad socket Xeon build? There's no difference between that and any other budgetless sensational build threads.

bigscott

ok..

thanks deadpool.. see that helps. give me something to look into and do some homework.

the plan is to get a i5 for now. as like you said all these m/b will do all 3 types.

but some of them parts are way out. like case.. i can get the one i liked to.
and power supply.

i read that the i processors come with fans ???

and when all sead and done it will have the i7 , 8gb or more ram , good g card .

but need to stick with what i can afford for the hold build.. thats why i needed a setup that i can heavily upgrade as i go. and i dont have a problem with that. hell the parts i pull will go into another case ..

so maybe i should ask this..

if you were going to get a m/b and your going to use a i5 ( then i7 ) and you want to upgrade what board would you get.
as thats all im worried about now.
as we know what processor im going with.

would like qude core , ddr4 , a good graphics ( onboard for now )

that board you listed should i go with that ?

and trully guys, thanks for helping..

Deadpool

ok..

thanks deadpool.. see that helps. give me something to look into and do some homework.

the plan is to get a i5 for now. as like you said all these m/b will do all 3 types.

but some of them parts are way out. like case.. i can get the one i liked to.
and power supply.

i read that the i processors come with fans ???

and when all sead and done it will have the i7 , 8gb or more ram , good g card .

but need to stick with what i can afford for the hold build.. thats why i needed a setup that i can heavily upgrade as i go. and i dont have a problem with that. hell the parts i pull will go into another case ..

so maybe i should ask this..

if you were going to get a m/b and your going to use a i5 ( then i7 ) and you want to upgrade what board would you get.
as thats all im worried about now.
as we know what processor im going with.

would like qude core , ddr4 , a good graphics ( onboard for now )

that board you listed should i go with that ?

and trully guys, thanks for helping..

Get a Z270 (or Z170 if those are too expensive) chipset no matter what then. That way you can get the 7th gen processors, without BIOS problems (you know, updating and such) and also the K versions (the ones that are "unlocked" and have can be overclocked, and the Z270 -or Z170, although it may require BIOS update for 6th gen CPUs- is the only one that allows overclocking). Before deciding on a motherboard, look up reviews online (there may not be a lot, since they are pretty new) and see if they have good OC capabilities (if you plan to OC -highly recommended-, otherwise, all this is pointless).

All of them have integrated graphics so don´t worry about that (Intel HD Graphics 630). Also, remember the K versions DO NOT COME WITH CPU COOLER. The other ones do. Also, if possible, get high frequency RAM (2400MHz at least). If I were you I´d get 1 8Gb stick, so you add another one later.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hTtcm8

That´s $480. You may want to throw an SSD there (850 EVO or some of the cheaper options, like the PNY CS1311 or the Crucial MX300) or save up for a video card. The motherboard is just a parametric choice, I haven´t researched it or anything. Good luck.

bigscott

ok great, thanks very much. all looks good.

ill be ordering parts very soon.
and ill just get the 1 stick for now.
plus ill get a vid card in a month or 2.

im also going to get a dvd drive .

bigscott

yup..lol

and like i said, this will be a 2- 3 step build..

step 1 will be to get something to work with.. them onto some upgrades. to make it faster / better .

been reading and im wandering does the m/b have to be compatible to overclocking my cpu ?
as i want to get into gaming , and learning all this pc stuff...

decided im going with this right off the bat . so this coming month ill get this cpu and that m/b . then ill have to wait for the other parts.
so ya this is going to cost more then my $400 budget.. but i want the best bang for my buck right off the bat.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117728

all is about $580 .