New Build

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by Netskimmer, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    So Vista 32bit OEM, is there a reason to go above 2GB of ram at this point?

    I think I'll go with the P35-DS3L mobo.

    What do you guys think of this card? The specs on it make it look as though it could outperform the 8800 ultra, though I know specs can be decieving.

    DIAMOND 2900XT1GPE Radeon HD 2900XT
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103044
    $516.99
     
  2. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    The only OEM or 32-but version I can find is the "for system builders" version which says it cannot be transfered to another computer. What exactly does this mean? If I change my mobo or processor will it become useless?
     
  3. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
    Eventually, > 3GB will be necessary. If you want your rig to be "future proof," as Bert recommended, then go with a 64 bit OS. Am I contradicting myself? Not really. 2GB is suitable for all the latest games. However, if your goal is to allow your rig to last > 2 years, you should get an OEM 64 bit OS. When you add memory in the future, you will not have problems.

    The 3DMark06 (graphics benchmarking application) record was broken - if not shattered - by this card in the record holder's configuration. It's faster than the Ultra, and compatable with your mobo's chipset. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't buy this card.
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  4. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
    For more information on this topic, click here. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

    For further info, view the CF poll that discusses OEM vs. Retail. The consensus on this forum suggests that OEM is far better than retail. Normally, I would disagree. However, in your situation, I think you should choose between 32 and 64 bit, and not concern yourself w/ significant hardware changes that could affect your product key.

    Read the license agreement carefully. Microsoft only requires that you purchase a piece of hardware W/ the software, and refuses to offer customer support for OEM license holders'. Product support is offered here, 10,000 other forums, and on the MS website. Don't let the lack of "technical support" prevent you from saving a few bucks.

    Finally, the most you would have to do, it seems, is call MS if you upgrade your mobo from the current build. You would most likely have to re-install Windows in order for the license to transfer - not to mention a successful install - to take place. Unfortunately, simply popping in your HD into the upgraded mobo will not allow you to successfully boot your old installation.

    As far as I know, changing the CPU will not trigger a reactivation.

    Good luck, Netskimmer. :)
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  5. maroon1

    maroon1 New Member

    Messages:
    3,068
  6. b3rt_d4ni3l

    b3rt_d4ni3l New Member

    Messages:
    943
    How's your build going?

    For the GPU, stick with the 8800, up to you GTX or Ultra. If you want cheap then GTX otherwise Ultra is fine.

    The RAM I mentioned, this one: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145034
    has a better timing (4-4-4-12) compared to the one oscaryu1 suggested which is 5-5-5-18. The 4-4-4-12 timing is usually preffered for gaming though having 5-5-5-18 does not mean you cannot game at all. And with the price difference of only $10 after rebate, I would go for the 4-4-4-12 timing RAM.

    As for the OEM version of the OS, when you change your mobo you need to call MS to re-activate your copy of OS. Just tell them that your mobo failed on you or you just upgraded your mobo and need to re-install the OS. When your processor changes you don't need to do all this. Just replace it with the new one and you are good to go.

    Good luck, mate! :)
     
  7. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    I suppose I'll just go with vista 64-bit oem and and the MSI 8800 Ultra and see what happens.

    Ok, if 4-4-4-12 is better then I'll go with it.

    Have any of you guys ordered anything from swiftech? I wanter to get a VGA water block for that ms1 8800 ultra since a lot of people said they had to underclock it to get stable performance out of it. I figured that since I am putting wc in this thing anyway it would be worth it in the long run to add the card to the loop, especially if it will keep me from hafting to underclock it. The problem is that when I go to check out it windows gives me a warning that there certificate is expired and that the name on the certificate is swiftech while while the name of the site is swiftnet, it changes halfway through the checkout process. This kind of made me nervous. Another problem is that my checkout total is $0.00 instead of the actual price. The whole thing makes me want to avoid them altogether and get Danger Dens vga water block but theirs is out of stock.
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  8. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    Well, I'll have to authorize the bank to let me take that much out and I have to do it in person. By the time I go in there I won't have time to come back and make my purchases, so it will be tomorrow before I can buy the parts.:(

    I was looking at this Koolance vga block http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835127033, some say it doesn't fit right and will warp your card because it doesn't have a back plate and others say it fits right if you use the thermal pads it came with instead of paste and that it won't warp your card. Does anyone here have any actual experience with this block that can give me a definitive answer?:confused:
     
  9. b3rt_d4ni3l

    b3rt_d4ni3l New Member

    Messages:
    943
    I have no experience with water cooling so I can't give you any advise on it. But as an alternative, check out www.xoxide.com they have quite a collection of water cooling parts that might interest you.

    Sorry I didn't let you know this earlier. I just thought of the website while typing this post. :eek:
     
  10. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    Cool, they have the swiftech vga cooler I was looking at. I kind of wanted the danger den block because it is ported for 1/2" tubing where the swiftech block is ported for 1/4" and comes with adapters for 1/2" tubing. I'm not sure but I would think the more narrow ports on the vga block will bottleneck the wc system at the vid card.
     
  11. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
  12. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    Well, it looks like I'll be going with my original purchase after all.

    When I got home from work this morning at 3:30am (I work nights) I checked my email and found that newegg had received my payment and shipped my order!!! :eek: WTF!!! The first email I got from them said that the order had been voided and that I would have to resubmit the order after correcting the problem with the bank. Apparently as soon as I got clearance from the bank paypal transfered the money and newegg filled the order. Not the end of the world but it still pisses me off. :mad: What if I had come straight home from the bank and placed a new order or placed an order on Clubit for the Q6600 before getting that email? As soon as neweggs customer support center opens today I'm going to call and raise hell about this. In the mean time I have to go to a 9:00am business meeting, at which I will be a key speaker, I've been up since 11:00am yesterday, and now I'm too pissed to sleep. It's going to be an interesting day.:(
     
  13. b3rt_d4ni3l

    b3rt_d4ni3l New Member

    Messages:
    943
    wow...

    That was quite an experience you got there. I didn't know newegg would do that.
    Anyway, good luck with your day, dude! Looks like you're gonna need it. :D
     
  14. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    My business meeting this morning went well. I didn't have time before work today to contact customer service and they won't be open again until Mon. I could e-mail them but I'd rather talk to someone in person. According to UPS the parts will be here on Tues but it will probably be sooner given neweggs track record regarding shipping. I'd don't know if I should just take the parts or if I should raise a stink about the whole thing. Do you think it would do any good?
     
  15. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
    After the adjustments to your build, how much did you end up saving?
     
  16. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    About $300, the question is will they accept responsibility for this?
     
  17. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
    Well, if worst comes to worst, you paid 12% more than what the new configuration would have cost. You'll have everything on Tuesday. That's not too bad. Best case scenario, I suppose, would be a refund and cancellation of your order. Hopefully, newegg is available either by email, or over the phone this weekend. If it doesn't work out - it still works out. You know what I mean?

    However, I do agree that either PayPal or newegg should be held accountable. PayPal has a notorious reputation for bad customer service. The payment went through, right? Don't completely leave PayPal out of the equation. Maybe your bank is partly responsible. Who knows? Anyway, best of luck this weekend. :)

    The build that never ends...:p

    EDIT: On the first page of this thread, is that all the stuff (from newegg) scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday?
     
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  18. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    Everything but the monitor, it is estimated at Wed.
     
  19. Netskimmer

    Netskimmer New Member

    Messages:
    119
    Ok, I probably won't hear from Newegg until at least tomorrow so I 've been going over my options depending on their response.

    A) They void the sale like they were supposed to and I RMA the stuff back to them and receive a full refund including tax and shipping charges.

    Call me jaded but I don't really see this happening. It's possible but I'm not expecting it. If it does happen though I'll just order the new set of parts and everything will be resolved.

    B) They refuse any responsibility and tell me that I will have to return their merchandise pursuant to the return policies applicable to each individual product ordered.

    I see this as much more likely and thus far I have thought of three possible options.

    1) I accept that things didn't go as they should have and just keep the parts and build the rig.

    2) I RMA the parts I don't want and pay the %15 restocking fee.

    3) I refuse the shipment when the UPS driver gets here.

    Option 1 is pretty self explanatory, the other two options on the other hand...

    If I go with option 2 the greatest restraint on time is the CPU which must be returned within 7 days of invoice. I received the official invoice from new egg via email on Oct 27 so as long as I get the stuff on its way by next Saturday I should be alright. As for the restocking fee, it will cost about $171 to return all the hardware in the proposed changes we discussed which wouldn't end up saving me too much especially considering the all the trouble. Since most of the changes were made to improve the cost/performance ratio of the setup this would generally be counter-productive. The only exception was the CPU, If I RMA the one their sending me it will cost about $20 for the restocking fee. Do you guys think it would be worth it to RMA it and get the better processor?

    As for option 3, I don't know if it would work. I know their return FAQ says that Bulk are non refundable so you would have to refuse it from the driver with would result in a full refund including tax and shipping but that was under the "bulk item returns" section so I don't know if it would work for the other stuff.
     
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  20. mep916

    mep916 Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    10,995
    IMO, I think you should keep everything. The retail Vista Ultimate gives you both the 32 bit and 64 bit OSes, and possibly a "stronger" license key. The RAM is great. The original configuration was great, only a little more expensive.
     

Share This Page