New Build

tlarkin

VIP Member
So there is no way to get the two to communicate directly?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I gather you have multiple PCs in your house and they all use dial up? Correct? Well, you can run the internet set up wizard on your machine and configure it to share the dial up connection. Then you can have it dial out and connect to the ISP. Then network your machines, and run that wizard again and it will apply the network settings to share the connection from the machine that is already connected. So, all traffic is tunneled through the one machine that is connected. So, technically if a virus were to hit you while online (extremely rare, like winning the lottery rare with dial up) it would hit the machine that is connected to the internet first. Which would have your A/V software on it. Then the machines that are sharing the connection are technically behind it. Basically in a certain perspective you are setting up one dial up machine to act as a gateway for your other machines to connect to the internet. Mind you it will be extremely slow, but yes it is possible. This does require your machines to be networked.

Netskimmer

I gues I had two goals. First would be to netword the two PC together so that I could access the programs and data on my old system from my new one. Second to allow my new system to access the internet through my old system. However if it is going to be slow (as if dial-up wasn't slow enough) then I won't worry about the second option. But I would like to be able to access the files and possibly the programs on my old rig from my new one. Maybe something like a remote desktop setup.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just network them. A switch and a few patch cables aren't expensive and most PCs have NICs built in. If not you can get a PCI NIC for like 5 dollars probably.

Just try the internet sharing and see how slow it is. You have to realize I have a 20Mbit broadband connection, so dial up no matter what is going to seem ridiculously slow to me. If you try it and like it, then use it. If not, hey at least you know its not worth the hassle and keep one system online.

What OSes are on your machines, I can only assume they are both windows? What versions?

Netskimmer

I am running XP pro 32-bit on my current rig and the new one will be either Vista Ultimate 32-bit or 64. probably start out at 32 since I won't have >4Gb of RAM.

How can I tell if they have NIC built in? I know they both have RJ-45 ports on them. My current mobo is a ASUS P4P800 478 Intel 865PE and the new one will have a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Netskimmer

Cool, I'll see if I can't find the CAT5e patch cords locally as it would cost about as much to ship as it would to buy. :p Thanks for the help.

As for the rest of the build, I added a RAM active cooling unit to the list, CORSAIR CMXAF1 Fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835704001 . I don't know if it would be necessary but keeping the RAM cooler is always a good thing regardless. At the very least it shouldn't hurt anything.:D Haven't gotten a tracking number yet but I'm in no hurry, even if it doesn't get here before the system is ready to boot up it won't kill my system (I hope:eek:) to run it a few days without it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
As for the rest of the build, I added a RAM active cooling unit to the list, CORSAIR CMXAF1 Fans I don't know if it would be necessary but keeping the RAM cooler is always a good thing regardless. At the very least it shouldn't hurt anything.:D Haven't gotten a tracking number yet but I'm in no hurry, even if it doesn't get here before the system is ready to boot up it won't kill my system (I hope:eek:) to run it a few days without it.

Yeah, I own the same fan. I'm sure it helps. Like you said, it definitely doesn't hurt to have it. ;)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Cool, I'll see if I can't find the CAT5e patch cords locally as it would cost about as much to ship as it would to buy. :p Thanks for the help.

As for the rest of the build, I added a RAM active cooling unit to the list, CORSAIR CMXAF1 Fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835704001 . I don't know if it would be necessary but keeping the RAM cooler is always a good thing regardless. At the very least it shouldn't hurt anything.:D Haven't gotten a tracking number yet but I'm in no hurry, even if it doesn't get here before the system is ready to boot up it won't kill my system (I hope:eek:) to run it a few days without it.

I highly doubt you'll need that... except for looks :rolleyes:, but still... It's not really needed.

Netskimmer

Parts from Newegg came today, RAM cooler has shipped. All I need now to get this thing up and running is my CPU from ClubIT. In the mean time I'll begin assembly as we discussed earlier. I'll post pics of my progress.

What kind of software should I get to test the stability/performance of this new rig? I suppose I should get a copy of memtest, I had one once but I don't know were it is. Should I get a benchmarking prog like 3dMark?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Parts from Newegg came today, RAM cooler has shipped. All I need now to get this thing up and running is my CPU from ClubIT. In the mean time I'll begin assembly as we discussed earlier. I'll post pics of my progress.

What kind of software should I get to test the stability/performance of this new rig? I suppose I should get a copy of memtest, I had one once but I don't know were it is. Should I get a benchmarking prog like 3dMark?

Definitely 3DMark06. Futuremark just released PCMARK Vantage. That application tests your whole PC. I like it. You can check it out for yourself.

You should run Prime95 after you configure the FSB and VCore for the processor. That program stresses the CPU, and tests stability. Run the program for 24 hours. Most overclocking guides will provide you w/ more detailed advice w/ regard to that subject.

Search the forum for advice on the best CPU temp monitoring software. There's differences in opinion. I still haven't found one I like completely. CPU-Z is an other useful tool.

Last edited:

Netskimmer

Some of the standoffs marked in the case instructions for ATX form factor boards do not line up with mt mobo I can't remember but I think this is normal since all ATX mobos are not the same shape but I wanted to be sure. One of the standoffs is underneath the mobo, I removed it for fear that it might contact something it shouldn't.

Netskimmer

Ok, this is going to be a long post so bear with me. I'm in the process of connecting the various components to the mobo and PSU.

A have a few questions about connecting the case wires to the mobo. There is a bundle of wires coming from the front panel of the case, I found the array of pins on the mobo that they hook to but I can't remember some things and there are a few connectors that I'm not familiar with. Regarding the two prong connectors for the HDD LED, power switch ect, the color wire is the hot and the white wire is the ground correct? Along with the reset, powers switch, the is a pin set on the mobo that I don't have a connector for labeled "msg" what is it?

There are also four cables with black 10-pin connectors, each one having a plug in one of the pin holes, I'm assuming this is so you can't connect it to the wrong set of pins. Two of the cables are marked "USB" and fit onto the F_USB pin sets on the mobo, obviously they are for the USB ports on the front panel. There is another cable that is wired differently than the USB cables but has the plug in the same pin-hole and it is marked "1394" where the heck does this one go?

The last cable has two connectors, the first is marked HD Audio and its plug configuration matches the F_AUDIO pin set in the mobo. I'm assuming that it connects the headset and mic ports on the front panel to the mobo but there is a plug that branches off from that one that is labeled "AC`97" and I don't see any pin-sets that it could connect too.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
1394 - Firewire. Some motherboards only has USB. IE - My IP-95 has USB, but not onboard Firewire. Ignore it if you do not have it.

You probably need to find an 4pin place to connect the sound part...

Netskimmer

I went ahead and installed the VGA and Sound cards since I'll need to take them into account while trying to manage the cables. Here are some pics:

Here is the empty case:
emtcase.jpg

Here is my mobo in the case (ingore the standoffs to the side of the mobo, I removed them shortly after taking the photo.) :
mobo.jpg

Here is a shot of the raptor and the little black bag it came in:
raptor.jpg

Here is a shot of the almost complete system. The only things missing are the CPU which I haven't gotten yet and the RAM. I didn't see a reason to install the RAM just yet as it might get in the way when I try to install the CPU. I could probably do a better job regarding cable management but I've been up for 20 hours and I don't feel like messing with it anymore, at least until I get some sleep. I would also like to mention that cable management is not as easy in this case as one might think. There is VERY little room behind the mobo tray and running cables across from behind is limited by a bar that sits almost flush with the removable panel. In any case (no pun intended) I don't plan on messing with it anymore until I get some sleep.
ncomp.jpg

One last pic, this one shows the VGA hood, I'm assuming that as long as I am air cooling the VGA card that it would be beneficial to leave the hood on.

vgahood.jpg

I have some good news, FedEx now says that the CPU should be delivered sometime today!! So I'm going to take a little cat nap and hopefully the CPU will get here and I can try to get this thing running.

Thanks for the software suggestions, I'll look into acquiring the necessary progs when I get up, for now I'm just too dang tired.:p

oscaryu1

VIP Member
VERY NICE cable management, as with the computer!

Even the Raptor looks great! (Never seen an transparent HDD :p)

Netskimmer

VERY NICE cable management, as with the computer!

Even the Raptor looks great! (Never seen an transparent HDD :p)

Thanks, I should be sleeping but I just got woken up by a call from FedEx wanting directions. Now they are saying that it will be Tuesday before they can deliver it:mad: The weird thing is that they claimed they could not find me but when I asked about the possibility of picking it up they said that the package was at there station. Their station is almost two hours away and he said the driver just left so my question is how could they not find me if the guy hasn't even come out here yet? It looks like they just decided they didn't want to drive all the way out here on a Saturday so they are just going to hold it until Tuesday!!! As much as I want to get this thing up and running, I can't justify a 100 mile round trip just to get the package.

What is it with this build?:confused: I've never had so much trouble before.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Hmm, I've had almost the same experience as you before. They said that my zip was "Cologne, Texas" instead of "Victoria, Texas". I mean, how can there be 2 towns/cities in the same zipcode?!?! Somehow UPS got almost the whole address messed up (two times with RMA'ing with compaq...)...

The one day I entered 77901 into the Ebay calculator...

"Shipping to Cologne, Texas - $xx.xx"

:confused: