new build

tlarkin

VIP Member
I won't be over clocking, I don't like that stuff that much these days. I like it to run fast stock, makes it last longer and leaves less margin for errors. I am going to be using Vista, LOL, so I want stability over everything else.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I won't be over clocking, I don't like that stuff that much these days. I like it to run fast stock, makes it last longer and leaves less margin for errors. I am going to be using Vista, LOL, so I want stability over everything else.

lol. Fair enough.

Good luck, looks good. :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hmm, so I need to pick a new mobo then it is done, and now I am contemplating upgrading the processor so I can get double the cache.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, so I need to pick a new mobo then it is done

You're not sold on the 750i board?

and now I am contemplating upgrading the processor so I can get double the cache.

I was just about to bring that up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16819115043,N82E16819115041

The Q9550 is faster and has double the cache. You would know more than I would whether the increase in cache would benefit your uses; it's $60 more.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The whole DDR3 vs DDR2 board thing, and now that I am looking at possibly adding another card down the road for SLI maybe I need to pick a new board. The processor upgrade I think is a no brainer. If you are going to spend $1300 on a system, what is 50 more bucks?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Well, going DDR3 with an SLi board would add at least $400-$500 to the build. Is that what you're saying?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, going DDR3 with an SLi board would add at least $400-$500 to the build. Is that what you're saying?

No, I want DDR2, don't want to spend DDR3 money. The board I chose doesn't say SLI ready, does that matter in the end? I did read up on some of the newer boards that support DDR3 have some issues with stability, and the reviewers seem to think it is mostly memory related.

Thoughts on that?

Pablo-

I like the idea of having two hard drives for redundancy. Put all your data on one drive and if it fails, then you are screwed.

Right now I have an intel mobo and a e6300 C2D sitting in my closet doing nothing. I am going to build a media sever out of it and may buy the 1TB drive for back ups, netboot images of my machines, etc.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that looks awesome. You're lucky you don't have to pay tax. We have to in California. :mad:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think I am going to buy the case and heat sink and fan at microcenter so I can see them in person. Any last comments before I hit the buy button?

LOL newegg gave me 12 months no interest no payments, I am going to have this thing paid off by march!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I think I am going to buy the case and heat sink and fan at microcenter so I can see them in person. Any last comments before I hit the buy button?

No, I think you're straight. Looks really good. Yeah, check 'em out in person and you may find a good sale or something. sometimes newegg charges a shitload for shipping on some cases, so you may save money on that as well.

LOL newegg gave me 12 months no interest no payments, I am going to have this thing paid off by march!

It's a good deal. You can occassionally use credit to your own advantage if you do it right. :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
lol, don't do that. Now I am heading down to Microcenter to buy a case and maybe a heatsink/fan

then I will just have to wait it out while the parts ship to me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I ended up getting the HAF 932 by cooler master.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8..._Air_Flow_Full_Tower_Case_RC-932-KKN1-GP.html

There were a few features that sold me on it. For one the 5.25" drive bays have sleds which easily snap in and out. The optical drive rails are built in, with a push button lock, so no more of me losing rails and having to order them from the manufacturer. The PSU mount is adjustable so it fits all sizes of PSUs. It comes stock with all the fans, so you don't have to buy them extra. It allows you to take off the under mounting bracket of a CPU heatsink/fan with out taking the board out of the case via a access hole on the other side of the case. It also has cable routes on the outer bracket of the closed side of the case that allows you to snake your cables through there so they aren't in the way.

I really wanted the Antec P182 (I think that is the model) but they were out of stock on it. The Cooler Master case was only $149.00 and even though it was slightly too big for what I wanted, and it has sections for liquid cooling (which I won't use) the other features and the price were right enough for me.

So, now it is just a matter of waiting for my parts. A lot of my parts had free rush shipping on them, so hopefully that will apply to everything I bought.

I think I will post an update on my blog when I get it, and run some benches stock on XP and Vista maybe (if I have the time) and compare the differences.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
That's a sick case. Actually, I was gonna recommend it as an option, but I didn't think you were interested in a full tower. Congrats man.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah the full tower part was a put off, but the built in rail system is bad ass. I can't tell you how many times I have lost rails over the years. The case is sitting here on the floor next to me. Now I just have to wait for my parts. My buddy is already telling me all the games I have to try.

I also just factored in all my mail in rebates, which will drop the cost another $150ish so the total cost was like $1260ish all together. Not bad for all of that plus a bad ass Samsung Monitor.