new build

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well monitor should be in today, rest of the parts tomorrow! Monitor shipped from TN, and everything else from CA. The CA side is lazy and they are coming a day apart instead of on time!

tlarkin

VIP Member
it is all at UPS waiting for me to pick it up. The UPS guy never comes around when I am actually home so I am having them hold it for me at the hub.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Go pick it up now! :p

I left a note for the UPS guy to call my cell phone on my front door, he said he wouldn't be ready for pick up till probably 5:30ish from will call.

I got an hour to wait, just going to get some work done and stop by on my way home, since it is on my way home from work.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It is built, installed Vista Ultimate 64, install took about 20 minutes total. Running tons and tons of updates, and updating my drivers

Should be in full force tomorrow night after work

Just need to go buy a game, and I am thinking Crysis...

I didn't like the cooling fan that snaps on top of the RAM, so I left it off for now. Enabled multi core CPUs in the BIOS.

Windows updates still take like 9 years to download and install....

I am also downloading a new copy of 3D mark, and I am wondering what it will score stock with zero over clocking.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Is SP1 integrated in your copy of Ultimate? I'll guess a 14K score in 3DMark...stock clocks.

Pics please. :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
Is SP1 integrated in your copy of Ultimate? I'll guess a 14K score in 3DMark...stock clocks.

Pics please. :D

Camera is in my backpack which is like 20 feet away, pics tomorrow. I did tie all the cables down...

No my copy is the release version of Vista 64 Ultimate. When it first came out our MS rep showered us with free copies hoping our IT department would actually deploy it.....:rolleyes:

tlarkin

VIP Member
So, now I am wondering what settings I should run 3D mark on as, and how I should tweak my system if any.

Does anyone here use that RAM cooling fan that snaps on top of the DIMMS? I am not sure that I like that.

Also, in device manager it seems to only list 3 cores of my processor? I was up till about 3AM just updating it and I didn't get a chance to figure that one out yet. I wake up for work at 6AM every day so I am kind of tired today, but had my coffee!

Overall, I don't regret buying anything just yet, but there are some things I wish were slightly different. The Vista installer NEEDED DRIVERS! That is so lame. Of course my Vista rating is 5.9. It also uses about 1 gig of RAM when idle. Like i said though I haven't gone through and tweaked the OS yet, everything is running at default.

This weekend when I have lots of more time I am going to go through and tweak the crap out of it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So, now I am wondering what settings I should run 3D mark on as, and how I should tweak my system if any.

I always run 3DMark at the default settings. Honestly, I don't think the program tells you too much about your system, i.e, what changes to make. Running actual games would be the best way, and you can download a program called TPUbench that has the ability to benchmark the latest games, so long as they're installed on your system.

If you're looking to increase your score, overclock the processor.

Does anyone here use that RAM cooling fan that snaps on top of the DIMMS? I am not sure that I like that.

I used to use that fan when I had the Dominators. I thought it looked kinda cool, although I don't think it's really necessary. It'll obviously lower the temps, but I think the heatspreaders are sufficient enough.

Also, in device manager it seems to only list 3 cores of my processor?

That's strange...

tlarkin

VIP Member
In my BIOS there was something that alarmed me. It said to enable multiple cores, enable this feature, then it said a maximum of three?

I think I need to scour the Asus site for a BIOS flash

Linux and OS X ftw with system updates. OS X downloads them all to cache and then reboots/installs them in one large swoop. Updates that don't require a reboot, don't force a reboot.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
In my BIOS there was something that alarmed me. It said to enable multiple cores, enable this feature, then it said a maximum of three?

What!? Well, I'm assuming a BIOS update would solve that, but what the hell are they doing releasing a board that only supports three cores? You can flash the board within Windows, if you want. The program is called EZ Flash or something...it'll automatically download the latest BIOS.

Here's a link to the BIOS download page, if you haven't looked yet...

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us