New Build

X24

hmmm, well it looks awesome, but idk why you can't use a few of the parts you already have. your current sound card and hard drive will work, and are still pretty high up, and will save u quite a bit of money

Geoff

VIP Member
You're spending a good amount of money on good parts, why go with Patriot ram? Patriot isn't a bad brand, but I'd still go with Corsair...
I went with the Patriot because the only corsair that was 1.8v was the Value Select, but I would rather have the Patriot RAM. If you can find me some other good DDR2 memory thats 1.8v, feel free to post some.

Why don't you buy an EVGA 7900GT or 7950GT and use there step-up program???

buy one of those cards and get a really beefy PSU then save up, use the step-up program later and get a 8800GTX:D :D :D
I was thinking of buying a 7900 or x1950 series card, but if I really think about it, for ~$150-$200 more I can buy an awesome DX10 card that wouldn't have to be sold or traded in a month later.

hmmm, well it looks awesome, but idk why you can't use a few of the parts you already have. your current sound card and hard drive will work, and are still pretty high up, and will save u quite a bit of money
If I wanted just the bare minimum, I would just get a new Mobo, GPU, RAM, and PSU. The X-Fi Fatal1ty will only end up costing me about $50 more then my current card after rebates, and I would like a higher capacity hard drive.

Tigerdirect have got the specs wrong. You can see the same PSU here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

It actually has quad rails (+12V@18A+18A+18A+18A)
I'll look into that, sounds pretty good. Does it have an 8-Pin CPU cable?

The_Beast

[-0MEGA-];500336 said:
I was thinking of buying a 7900 or x1950 series card, but if I really think about it, for ~$150-$200 more I can buy an awesome DX10 card that wouldn't have to be sold or traded in a month later.

Do you know what the EVGA step-up program is??? OK get the 8800GTS but than use the EVGA step-up program to get a 8800GTX

you don't have to sell your 8800GTS you send it in to EVGA and pay the difference between the 8800GTS and 8800GTX. They will send you the 8800GTX without losing any money on the 8800GTS

do you get it???

Geoff

VIP Member
Do you know what the EVGA step-up program is??? OK get the 8800GTS but than use the EVGA step-up program to get a 8800GTX

you don't have to sell your 8800GTS you send it in to EVGA and pay the difference between the 8800GTS and 8800GTX. They will send you the 8800GTX without losing any money on the 8800GTS

do you get it???
I know what the step-up program is, im not an idiot :p

It seems more of a waste of time buying a 7900 series and only using it for a month, then buying the 8800GTS. You can only step-up I believe after 30 or 60 days after purchasing your video card, you can't wait for months and months.

The_Beast

[-0MEGA-];500345 said:
I know what the step-up program is, im not an idiot :p

It seems more of a waste of time buying a 7900 series and only using it for a month, then buying the 8800GTS. You can only step-up I believe after 30 or 60 days after purchasing your video card, you can't wait for months and months.

why not get a 8800GTS and step-up to a 8800GTX???

Jet

VIP Member
Just because Corsair memory isn't spec'd at 1.8V, it is not any reason to not get it! Many people have had great experience with Corsair's DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 RAM with Core 2 Duos. While I think most of your build is great, I am surprised that you care so little about RAM.

Geoff

VIP Member
Just because Corsair memory isn't spec'd at 1.8V, it is not any reason to not get it! Many people have had great experience with Corsair's DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 RAM with Core 2 Duos. While I think most of your build is great, I am surprised that you care so little about RAM.

The reason it has to be 1.8v stock is because my motherboard (as well as most of the other C2D ones), have issues running memory thats not JEDEC compliant, and which runs at 1.8v.

I ended up buying most of those things for my final build, new specs will be in my sig in a few moments :)

Jet

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];501313 said:
The reason it has to be 1.8v stock is because my motherboard (as well as most of the other C2D ones), have issues running memory thats not JEDEC compliant, and which runs at 1.8v.

I ended up buying most of those things for my final build, new specs will be in my sig in a few moments :)

Most memory can run at relaxed timings and lower voltages, and then you can raise the voltage and tighten the timings. Oh well. Hopefully it won't limit your overclocking performance too much.

Geoff

VIP Member
Most memory can run at relaxed timings and lower voltages, and then you can raise the voltage and tighten the timings. Oh well. Hopefully it won't limit your overclocking performance too much.

I know thats possible, but most memory doesn't do that automatically. So the memory would try to run at DDR2-800 with a CL of 4, at 1.8v instead of 2.2v or w/e.

And this memory is mid/high end, so with a little overclocking i should raise it pretty far.

Geoff

VIP Member
Here are some pics from my new rig :D

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

You have 4 speakers there....what number is that total (7.1, etc)..i've never seen 4 in the front..ive got 1 center, 1 front left, 1 front right, 1 back left, 1 back right.

but sweet comp.

MatrixEVO

You have 4 speakers there....what number is that total (7.1, etc)..i've never seen 4 in the front..ive got 1 center, 1 front left, 1 front right, 1 back left, 1 back right.

but sweet comp.

He just has the rear speakers on the side because it would be difficult to make them be behind him.

Geoff

VIP Member

but sweet comp.

It's 5.1, I dont have stands behind me so I put them on the corner of my desk, it works well still for surround sound.