New motherboard

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL ya I know... just a 'warning shot' if you will. I'm sure we can both get over this ... in any case ... to answer your question(s):
1. The Winchester, 3000 (S939) is a decent processor
2. Buying 3GB of memory is actually a bad thing: you forfeit one of the main benifit of the Socket939 platform -- dual channel memory support. If you decide you want dual channel that badly, consider the 'Hammer 3000s with 1MB L2 cache for Socket754 (and pair it with an nForce250). If you decide you want the Socket939 platform (which i would reccomend), go for 2GB dual channel and pop the extra money to sometjhing else like video, ram or mobo (i.e., what do you intend to do with the system)
3. In any regard, id hunt down a nForce3Ultra based motherboard, if your budget allows, the MSI K8N Neo2 [Platinum]. The Gigabyte model is well done too :)

charleslong

Praetor said:
LOL ya I know... just a 'warning shot' if you will. I'm sure we can both get over this ... in any case ... to answer your question(s):
2. Buying 3GB of memory is actually a bad thing: you forfeit one of the main benifit of the Socket939 platform -- dual channel memory support. If you decide you want dual channel that badly, consider the 'Hammer 3000s with 1MB L2 cache for Socket754 (and pair it with an nForce250). If you decide you want the Socket939 platform (which i would reccomend), go for 2GB dual channel and pop the extra money to sometjhing else like video, ram or mobo (i.e., what do you intend to do with the system)
3. In any regard, id hunt down a nForce3Ultra based motherboard, if your budget allows, the MSI K8N Neo2 [Platinum]. The Gigabyte model is well done too :)
Ok, man you alright. I think we just got of on the wrong foot or should I say I just got off on the wrong foot. I am going through a gang of ish right now. LOL I just got the medical boot for asthma. I am looking for a job, I am trying to get my trans rebuilt (1500 bucks), I am trying to find a new house in St. Louis and thats 700 miles away. LOL

I am not new to computers at all, but I feel like I am b/c things have changed since I last bought a new system. I am really unclear on the memory, but I think that i am going to go with a 939. I dont really play too many games, but I do play games. I plan on getting Half-Life2 and prob a couple of other games. Other than that, I browse the net, I will have a wireless network that consist of 3-4 computers with this being the one with the most HD space. I will use this computer for (extra) storage for my other computers and xbox. I will be burning DVD's and music with this also. I will post a list of what im looking at. Nothing is set in stone. I may go with some different memory and probably a gig of it instead of 512mb.
162.00 Processor http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-103-501&DEPA=1
116.00 MBoard http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-263&depa=1
60.99 Memory http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-164&depa=1
114.86 HDrive http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-324&depa=1
66.00 Video Car http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-152&depa=1
36.50 Tuner http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=15-100-103&DEPA=0
61.00 Dvd burnr http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-054&depa=1
229.00 monitor http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-004-005&depa=0
Video/tuner card wise, I just wanted to keep it under 180.00. If someone wants to recommend something, by all means go ahead. I will also check out the board that Praetor recommended.
Thanks for the help, sorry for the LONGGGG post.
Charles

Last edited:

charleslong

Praetor said:
Hey would there be a difference in performance if I ran the gigabyte or the MSI?
What are the dual channel mem sticks running price wise?

Yeti

VIP Member
I know you said you want to keep the graphics card/ tuner under 180 but I would recommend the All-in-wonder instead of those separate cards. Also memory runs in dual channel because of the memory controller not the actual memory sticks so you just buy two sticks of regular memory (same size & speed)

charleslong

Yeti said:
I know you said you want to keep the graphics card/ tuner under 180 but I would recommend the All-in-wonder instead of those separate cards. Also memory runs in dual channel because of the memory controller not the actual memory sticks so you just buy two sticks of regular memory (same size & speed)

Hey thanks for the help Yeti. That cleared up a huge questions that I had with memory. I wanted a card that had DVI out, but that looks like a good card. Are there any other cards that you recommend? I know that the card that I have isnt the best.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you had no info to add to my thread, maybe you should not have posted anything.
I did add something to the thread :p. I informed you that it was not a 3GHz processor, thus clearing any misconceptions you had about processor speed :D

Anyway, for an AGP board a 9800 AIW is a bit pricey but it can handle pretty much anyhting you through at it, failing that the 9600 AIW is decent

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hey would there be a difference in performance if I ran the gigabyte or the MSI?
What are the dual channel mem sticks running price wise?
1. Brand doesnt matter that much.
2. MSI and GB both make good boards and they make bad boards. Need to be a bit more specific.
3. Dont waste ur time with dual channel, your CPU doesnt support it

I know you said you want to keep the graphics card/ tuner under 180 but I would recommend the All-in-wonder instead of those separate cards
Why? With a AIW, you're bound to a specific graphics platform.

failing that the 9600 AIW is decent
Just consider buying a off-the-shelf HSF for it .... i ran one for a bit and i wasnt entirely convinced passive cooling was the way to go for that

charleslong

Thanks guys
I ordered, got an email saying that it didnt go through. So I guess I reached my spending limit today. :mad: It should just ship out tomorrow. I will let you guys know how I like the new computer.
This will be my first time doing a PC build with a SATA drive, hopefully it will go smooth.

charleslong

charleslong said:
Thanks guys
I ordered, got an email saying that it didnt go through. So I guess I reached my spending limit today. :mad: It should just ship out tomorrow. I will let you guys know how I like the new computer.
This will be my first time doing a PC build with a SATA drive, hopefully it will go smooth.
Ok, they sent me an update saying that it went through, I also had it ship 2nd day. Hopefully it will be here by Friday.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL its stupidly simple to physically install, getting drivers to work at runtime (without native support), can be a bit tricky .. doable ... but sometimes tricky.

charleslong

I am only recieving my monitor and case today and I ordered all this stuff wednesday. :mad: I paid for 2 day shipping so that it would all being in by today. I will recieve everything else on Monday. :mad: If I would have thought that everything wouldnt make here by today, I would have just shipped regular.
Well, I guess I will let you know how the monitor shows. :D
Charles

charleslong

got the monitor and case in, everything looks good, BUT I have 2 dead pixels. :mad: The case looks really good and is really weighs almost nothing. I didnt think there was anything in there, b/c the monitors box was so heavy.
Is it normal for these LCD's to arrive with a dead pixel or two?
Thanks
Charles

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any LCD screens but most places wont let you RMA unless it has 7-8+ dead pixels so I would expect a few dead ones are pretty much a given

charleslong

Cromewell said:
I don't have any LCD screens but most places wont let you RMA unless it has 7-8+ dead pixels so I would expect a few dead ones are pretty much a given

Yeah, with newegg you have to have 8 or more. Its not that big of a deal, just a small spec, and you cant even see it when just browsing the net.
Of course I would have like a defect free monitor even better.

I am a little worried about the MB though, b/c last night I read a bunch of threads of nothing but problems. :eek:
All I can think is why didnt I do a search before I bought the board. Hopefully I have one that has the most up to date bios. I guess most of the probs occured on F3 bios and prior. I am not an expert on this stuff either. I did notice that gb had away to update the bios in a windows environment. Hopefully that works. I am expecting the rest of my stuff on Monday.

My case that came in is made by Chenming, and its a really good case. Well it appears to be a good case. This thing is SUPER light. I just wish I had the stuff to install.

Charles

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, with newegg you have to have 8 or more. Its not that big of a deal, just a small spec, and you cant even see it when just browsing the net.
Of course I would have like a defect free monitor even better.
It can be a problem if you're doing pixel intensive stuff like photography, animation or watch movies and stuff :)

I am a little worried about the MB though, b/c last night I read a bunch of threads of nothing but problems. All I can think is why didnt I do a search before I bought the board
Aye searching is always important but (1) what mobo and (2) what problems?

I did notice that gb had away to update the bios in a windows environment.
Most good mobo manufacturers do

My case that came in is made by Chenming, and its a really good case. Well it appears to be a good case. This thing is SUPER light. I just wish I had the stuff to install.
They know how to make their cases :)

charleslong

Praetor said:
It can be a problem if you're doing pixel intensive stuff like photography, animation or watch movies and stuff :)

Aye searching is always important but (1) what mobo and (2) what problems?

Most good mobo manufacturers do

They know how to make their cases :)

I picked up this MB GA-K8NS Ultra-939, This is one of the links http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1373918&enterthread=y , I am hoping that since mine is the Ultra that its actually different. (without the problems)
Looks like they had a bunch of problems. Man, I was thinking that newegg may get this board back. Only thing is, that I wont have the time, b/c the moving people are coming to pick my furniture up Monday. Well, let me know what you think of the board and if I will have to worry about the problems.
Thanks
Charles