New to Linux....need help installing

NJNETSFAN

no, the computer came with vista pre-loaded in it. But I would assume the upgrade cd would have everything on it I need to repair it, if I can't get it fixed I might take the computer into a local computer shop(last resort) and see if they can get it working. thanks a lot for spending the last few hours trying to help me, I really thought you were going to get it(my computer is just stubborn). I'll try working on the computer all day tomorrow, because being half asleep trying to fix a computer just isn't working for me. I will post in this thread to keep everyone up to date. thanks again, I'm off to bed for the night, I'll probably be up nice and early trying to fix this thing becuase its going to bother me. Atleast linux is working.

munkyeetr

no problem, I just wish we could have gotten it working tonight. If i'm around tomorrow, I'll be back to help (if I can). Sorry it wasn't as smooth as hoped.

NJNETSFAN

yea no problem,I obviously took on too big of a task and I wasn't prepared if anything went wrong(no back up cd's) so its my fault. I;m on linux right now typing this responce. Linux is way faster than vista, and I see vista stole some Ideas from Linux. Thanks for all the help, I probably won't be working on the computer until about noon.

Vinnie

NJNETSFAN

I took a screenshot of the partitions on the hard drive, maybe that could help someone figure this out. I know all my data is still on the drive, just ubuntu obviously is using some files that windows needs to startt. Any1 think reinstalling linux would help

Last edited:

NJNETSFAN

ok well I changed the Windows Vista to this :
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Being at (0,1) I was able to get past the vista loading screen and I got to a blue screen and all it showed was my mouse arrow nothing else, so I did get a little farther going on (0,1) kinda wierd that vista worked on two partitions don't you think?

munkyeetr

Good morning.
From the looks of your screen shot of the partitions, Partition 1 is your Vista Installation, Partition 3 is your Ubuntu Installation, and I am assuming Partition 2 is your Backup Partition (the 50GB). So (hd0,1) will be pointing to your backup partition, which even though it got further most likely isn't what we want.

So I would say, change it back to (hd0,0), the Vista partition, and boot into it, and instead of choosing the Repair option, choose the Command Prompt. Then enter the following:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Basically this should give Vista back control of the Master Boot Record, hopefully then we can either boot into Vista or run the Repair option with more success. If we can get Vista to boot, then we can try to give GRUB back control of the MBR and see of they will live together and play nice. But for now, let's just try and get Vista running.

p.s. - did you get the upgrade disk?

NJNETSFAN

ok,i will go and try to do what you said(just need to go get my laptop so I can view this page to remember what to type in). I tried the upgrade disk of vista with no luck, It did nothing but sat at a black screen with a cursor like it expected me to tell it what to do. I called up HP and ordered the restore cd's so they will be here on tuesday so If we don't get it working I can always get it restored.(I'm on the linux computer right now without a problem)

munkyeetr

It may be case-sensitive. Try running all 3 of these commands:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
bootrec.exe /FixBoot
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

If it still says unrecognized command try changing into the C:\Boot directory
And just so you know where I got this information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

p.s. - I'll be out for about 40 minutes.

munkyeetr

Wow, this is getting pretty frustrating.

I believe Error 27: Unrecognized Command is a GRUB error, not a Windows Error. So we need to try and get back to the screen where you get to choose to repair Windows.

This is the same link I sent you last night: http://www.windowsvista.windowsreinstall.com/vistahomepremium/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm

Do you see any of these windows when you try to boot to Vista and get to the repair option? What we want to do is get to the screen that looks like the 11th image on that link and choose Command Prompt. If you can get to there.

NJNETSFAN

ok well I'm on my laptop right now, I'll try to do it in a little while, but I doubt it'll work. The thing that worries me is that I can't even get into System recovery on the startup screen, so I may have ordered the restore disks for no reason.

munkyeetr

Well, you should be able to boot from your Restore Disks (when they come), and everything you need for a fresh installation should be self-contained on them. It should restore your computer to exactly as it was when you bought it.

Let me know how things go and if you need more help I will be watching for this thread.

NJNETSFAN

ok, well thanks for all your support on trying to get things straightened out. I'm on the linux computer right now, so linux is up and running fine, I just wish i could get my wirless card to work on here so I don't have to tie up the home office while this computer is down. I will keep this thread up to date with what happens,

munkyeetr

You never know, you may like Linux enough to just ditch Vista.:rolleyes:

And if you have any questions about doing things in Ubuntu bookmark the ubuntu forums. It is an invaluable resource of information. Most of the time you don't even have to post questions, just search and chances are the issue you are having has been addressed in another thread - like your wireless for instance! Good luck. :D

NJNETSFAN

yea, I headed over to the ubuntu forums last night and posted a thread about it. I had one guy responded but his "fix" got me no farther than what you told me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok well I changed the Windows Vista to this : Being at (0,1) I was able to get past the vista loading screen and I got to a blue screen and all it showed was my mouse arrow nothing else, so I did get a little farther going on (0,1) kinda wierd that vista worked on two partitions don't you think?

change this:

Code:
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

to this:
Code:
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify ([b]sd0,1[/b])
makeactive
chainloader +1

You may need to change it to sda0,1 because Linux recognizes SATA drives typically as sda instead of hda. hda, or hd0 is typically how it identifies an IDE drive.

NJNETSFAN

change this:

Code:
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

to this:
Code:
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify ([b]sd0,1[/b])
makeactive
chainloader +1

You may need to change it to sda0,1 because Linux recognizes SATA drives typically as sda instead of hda. hda, or hd0 is typically how it identifies an IDE drive.

ok, i tried that and got Error 23 upon trying to boot. Error 23= Error while parsing numbers