New to Linux....need help installing

NJNETSFAN

Well on the Bios screen is says press F11 for system Recovery so I think I'm pressing the right key, but I'll give it a try. Also, tlarkin, I don't think the linux got rid of the recovery partition because that is a read only drive, you can't change anything on it so that's why I don't think thats what happened.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well on the Bios screen is says press F11 for system Recovery so I think I'm pressing the right key, but I'll give it a try. Also, tlarkin, I don't think the linux got rid of the recovery partition because that is a read only drive, you can't change anything on it so that's why I don't think thats what happened.

no but linux could have over written the boot sector of the drive, which could have contained the loader for the recovery partition. Recovery partitions suck, and I hate them, the manufacturer should just give all their customer's restore CDs.

NJNETSFAN

no but linux could have over written the boot sector of the drive, which could have contained the loader for the recovery partition. Recovery partitions suck, and I hate them, the manufacturer should just give all their customer's restore CDs.

ok, so if that did happen by chance. my only way arround it is to buy a full version OS correct?

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok, so if that did happen by chance. my only way arround it is to buy a full version OS correct?

No, HP will send you the restore CDs if you call them, or maybe you can purchase them for a nominal fee (like $20 instead of $120). Either way, you can obtain them from HP.

NJNETSFAN

ok tlarkin, I'm assuming you haven't read the whole thread( I know its pretty long). I ordered the restore cd's and they came yesterday. I put them in, and nothing happens, I just get to a black screen with a blinking cursor and then after about 20 seconds it goes to the grub loader and launches linux. I talked with an HP tech last night and they are sending me new cd's, so maybe that'll fix it, but I doubt it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok tlarkin, I'm assuming you haven't read the whole thread( I know its pretty long). I ordered the restore cd's and they came yesterday. I put them in, and nothing happens, I just get to a black screen with a blinking cursor and then after about 20 seconds it goes to the grub loader and launches linux. I talked with an HP tech last night and they are sending me new cd's, so maybe that'll fix it, but I doubt it.

So you can't boot off any CD at all? If that is so then that would be hardware related of some sorts. I have read through the whole thread but honestly I did not pick up every detail since I was probably rushed over the topic while eating lunch at work....

sorry bout that

back to the matter at hand....Linux would not affect this, and if the boot order were set to the optical drive first then it should boot before the boot sector of the HD, ie GRUB. However, the wrong restore CDs could very well be a factor.

I honestly hope you don't have to buy an OEM copy of windows, that would be just asinine.

NJNETSFAN

ok, I understand you can't get every detail, I've tried a lot of stuff over the last 4-5 days to get this thing running. The computer runs off the linux live cd with no problem so it's gotta be the restore cd's. Like it was stated earlier in this thread, Hp's can be a bitch to get restored, so thats most likely my problem, hopefully the next shipment of cd's(should be at my door step by around 2:30pm tomorrow) will work.

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok, I understand you can't get every detail, I've tried a lot of stuff over the last 4-5 days to get this thing running. The computer runs off the linux live cd with no problem so it's gotta be the restore cd's. Like it was stated earlier in this thread, Hp's can be a bitch to get restored, so thats most likely my problem, hopefully the next shipment of cd's(should be at my door step by around 2:30pm tomorrow) will work.

I work for a certified HP self maintainer, and before that I worked for a certified HP ASP, so I am very familar with HP. Have you recently had your motherboard repalced? I only ask this, because retail HPs have this thing on them called a 'tattoo' which is basically a firmware stamp (like a TPM) that codes the system what model it is, and what restore cds it supports. So, you could have gotten the wrong restore CD, or if your motherboard was replaced recently the techs didn't re-tattoo the motherboard. HP tattoos are not available for public download and only certified repair people can access them.

I am just glad I don't ever deal with retail systems anymore, I only deal with business class now and it is so much better.

NJNETSFAN

Nope, the computer hasn't been touched internally. I bought the computer just a tad over two months ago and nothing has been touched, the side panel has been off the case twice just to check everything out. So it's gotta be the restore cd's. If the new set of restore cd's don't work, I'm going to be really confused.

NJNETSFAN

OK, so I got the 2nd set of brand new restore cd's and they didn't work either, so HP is sending me a prepaid box so I can send the computer to them and let them take a look at it for free. Now my only problem is that in the grub loader Windows Vista doesn't automatically boot, I have to edit it and add chainloader +1 for it to work even though in the document on linux I have it edited so that all the info is in it. Ex:
title Windows Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
. Also, I have Windows Vista first on the grub list so it automatically tries to boot into Vista before launching linux.

tlarkin

VIP Member
thats why I don't really like debian based Linux distros, redhat ones at least have a root level control panel where you can edit the GRUB menu via GUI, which makes it so much easier to configure.

NJNETSFAN

ok, well I found out that it was a typo error in the grub menu on my part, but I fixed it and the computer attempts to load vista first(even though it doesn't work). I just wanted to set it up that way so it's easier for the HP guy to see what Vista does.

NJNETSFAN

OK, well here's an update to everyone that was following this thread when it first started. I sent the computer to HP. They received it on 7/6 and they said I should get it back around 7/17. It was a little later than I was hoping, but I was like hey, they're doing it for free, so I was ok with it. Then on about 7/11 I get an email saying that they were waiting for parts so it wouldn't be here until 7/24. So then I started to get worried as to whether or not I would ever see my PC again. So today I went on to check the status of the repair, and now it says the computer won't be here until 8/15/07. This really pissed me off so I decided to do a "chat" with a technician and they escalated the case so a depot manager will be calling me on monday. The tech said the write up said the motherboard was bad, which is b/s if you read what happened to the computer. Since when can linux blow up your f!#^%#! motherboard. So, which way do you think I should go about this when I'm on the phone with a manager?

tlarkin

VIP Member
maybe you had a bad mobo to begin with. Linux can be forgiving and run on systems with hardware problems. The problem with your motherboard could have also been a very slight defect, not causing any obvious problems but could have failed a diagnostics test.

I feel your pain about not having your computer my guess is that a part is back ordered and that is why its taking longer for the repair. I would calmly tell them you need your computer for whatever reason (work, student, etc) and that you are not able to do your work with out it. If you get all pissy and yell you might get no where.

NJNETSFAN

maybe you had a bad mobo to begin with. Linux can be forgiving and run on systems with hardware problems. The problem with your motherboard could have also been a very slight defect, not causing any obvious problems but could have failed a diagnostics test.

I feel your pain about not having your computer my guess is that a part is back ordered and that is why its taking longer for the repair. I would calmly tell them you need your computer for whatever reason (work, student, etc) and that you are not able to do your work with out it. If you get all pissy and yell you might get no where.

Ok, well I forgot to mention that they said the motherboard was back ordered(I was trying to keep the post short). Since I bought my computer, HP has released an upgraded version of my computer which is now called the HP M8120N where mine is the M8020N. The M8120N has a different mobo in it, so I don't see why they can't just give me the upgraded mobo so I can get my computer back in a timely fashion. By the time I get the computer back, it'll be worth $700 instead of the $1200 I spent on it. I would have probably been better off just upgrading the motherboard and saved time. I guess this is what happens when you try to get things done for free.

tlarkin

VIP Member
well, any PC you buy loses its value very quickly no matter what you get. In fact the only computer's that really hold any resell value are Macintosh ones.

In some cases they will upgrade you for free if its mission critical. I have seen companies do it before. It doesn't hurt to ask.

NJNETSFAN

well, any PC you buy loses its value very quickly no matter what you get. In fact the only computer's that really hold any resell value are Macintosh ones.

In some cases they will upgrade you for free if its mission critical. I have seen companies do it before. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I really hope they do upgrade it for me because the newer model of my pc has the quad core in it and I planed on picking one up after the price drops tomorrow. And I understand that computer prices drop(next worst investment next to buying a new car), but to have a new computer loose value and not even being able to use it really hits hard, especially when your a 16 year old student and thats about two months worth of pay on my part time job.

NJNETSFAN

OK, well I just got off the phone with The HP Case Manager( I kept missing his phone calls). THey could do one of two things for me: Send me a new computer and if my model wasn't available they'd send me a better one, or wait for my computer to be fixed and they'd do something to compensate me like giving me an extended warranty. I decided to go with the first one so I'll be getting a new computer from HP, I wish I had talked to this guy 4 weeks ago. So now I have to wait for a new computer to show up, I'll probably see it late next week, if not early the following week, so I'll still end up getting it about 10 days sooner than I would have if I decided to wait.