New Xbox revealed!

M1kkelZR

and I still stand by PC > Console.

Its true the console has a bigger community on most games, and some games I do prefer on console (old school feel of the NES etc.). The Xbox One to me seems more like some Media PC with alright hardware to just about run a game, I don't think it looks good. It's just a shiny box and a few flashy lights. Just my opinion though.

cracker2

Even if it is a dolled up version of the 360 it's about time.In PC hardware years It's pretty old.
A 8 core cpu,8gb ram,& blu ray format seems pretty much up to date to me.Hell I still don't have a bluray lol.Imo it isn't far off from being a decent pc.I read it has IE,finally a web browser!Lol.For $600 I was expecting much better,wonder how good of a pc build you could get with that.That is what game console companies are facing up against.I also read the HDD isn't removable like the 360s,what the hell.

salvage-this

I was saying that the 360 is old. Xbox one is considerably better than the 360 but still no high end gaming PC. For $600 that is to be expected.

Troncoso

VIP Member
You guys act like it needs 690's in SLI to be able to do anything. You have to remember that these machines are designed and optimized to run the games made for them. Unlike a PC, nearly all of a console's resources are dedicated to running a game. Granted, Microsoft is going for a much more HTPC approach. Though, considering they've had some 7 years for this, I'm sure their execution for a game console/media center is a lot more thought out than any of our 5 minute speculations.

These companies aren't putting bleeding edge hardware in these machines because, first off, they don't need it. And second, that would considerably increase the price. Hardware these days is quite far ahead of the day to day software we run on it. (And for those who are going to bring up Crisis or something similar, learn a little about software optimization before looking stupid)

Not that I'm defending this machine. From what I've seen, it is no more enticing than the first 2 consoles. I'll stick with Sony.

Last edited:

salvage-this

PCs don't need 690 SLI to work either. I understand that consoles are optimized for gaming. That is why they can have lower end hardware and still have decent performance.

It just seems to me that if I were a console gamer I would be pissed because I want to play with my friends that have the new console I have to fork over $600 (if that is the starting price) for a console that wants to do everything. I just think that gamers want a box to play games on for less money. The extras are nice but for the general public it seems un necessary

This is what I got from watching the stream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw&feature=player_embedded

Turbo10

iPEJc7x.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Just wanted to show you guys this:

tumblr_mn7t24QmwV1rr8jsmo1_1280.jpg

You can see the GeForce 8800 Ultra tech demo by NVIDIA here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIGWAYS5uRw

Looks like the details on human heads in COD Ghosts is similar to that of a tech demo NVIDIA demonstrated 6 years ago... you can see in Turbo10's post above what you can do now with newer cards. Though I guess constantly comparing console graphics to that of high-end gaming cards is a little pointless because the hardware in these consoles is never really 'high-end'.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Yes. Let's compare 2 different platforms by using two different games...Really? Comparing Crysis 3 to the new CoD doesn't show/prove anything. The difference has nothing to do with hardware, the game companies' decision of how much quality they wanted to achieve in their graphics. Compare the same game on both platforms. While the PC version will still look better, the difference will be marginal.

And even besides that, you would probably have to spend a lot more than the new Xbox will cost to run Crysis 3 at max settings. So, there's that.
Not saying this article is accurate, but as a reference point, it says to run Crysis 3 on "High Performance Settings" (Note that it doesn't say "Max Settings"), you'll need a setup that consists of something like an i7 2600, and a GTX 680. So, that alone can easily net over $600 (Assuming the the Xbox is at that price point), not to mention the rest of the components you need...

And Spirit, rendering a static 3D model isn't really comparable rendering a virtual world with numerous animated objects.

Rit

But even then. If I'm going to spend $600 on the xbox one. Or I can get a better computer for another $100-200, the better computer is going to be a better investment.

Justin

VIP Member
Jesus Christ, you lot are difficult to please.

Same hardware 7 years apart. It will become better over time.
921995_20051025_screen002.jpg

black-ops-2.jpg

On topic: The console itself is alright. Microsoft's strategy to appeal to a broader audience worked when even my father said he wanted one. My Christmas shopping has been made easier. :p

As of now, I'm leaning towards getting a PlayStation 4 over the Xbox One. Most of my friends have PlayStation 3's right now. If they'll be picking up a 4 then why switch camps?

jonnyp11

Yes. Let's compare 2 different platforms by using two different games...Really? Comparing Crysis 3 to the new CoD doesn't show/prove anything. The difference has nothing to do with hardware, the game companies' decision of how much quality they wanted to achieve in their graphics. Compare the same game on both platforms. While the PC version will still look better, the difference will be marginal.

And even besides that, you would probably have to spend a lot more than the new Xbox will cost to run Crysis 3 at max settings. So, there's that.
Not saying this article is accurate, but as a reference point, it says to run Crysis 3 on "High Performance Settings" (Note that it doesn't say "Max Settings"), you'll need a setup that consists of something like an i7 2600, and a GTX 680. So, that alone can easily net over $600 (Assuming the the Xbox is at that price point), not to mention the rest of the components you need...

And Spirit, rendering a static 3D model isn't really comparable rendering a virtual world with numerous animated objects.

Too bad that component talk is a mute point since game devs said it is weaker than the ps4 which is like a 2ghz fx8 series with a 7850. My friend built a computer equal to these consoles at christmas if not better (6300+7870) for around 7 or 800. And for 100 more he got way more freedom

jonnyp11

Thanks for the laugh: 'EA exec says Xbox One/PS4 are a generation ahead of top-spec PCs'

Really now, eh? :rolleyes:

Yup, a 2ghz quad module amd processor and a gpu around a 7850 is definitely better than a 3960X and dual titans or 7990s or 690s