Newb With Antivirus 2009 Problems....

ant_8u

If i copy stuff to he external drive am I not at risk of copying the virus/worms to it too?
Once i transfer the file back to the formatted drive could i be at risk of transfering the virus too?

Sorry for the simple questions - like I said i'm new to this, i'm here to learn

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you copy the files she needs saved to an external drive then you should be fine. But give Ceewi1 a chance to clean it up for you. It might take a couple days as he lives in Australia and he is online while most of us are sleeping.

ant_8u

Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything unless instructed by others

I don't know anywhere near enough to start doing things myself

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Usually a full scan with Malware Bytes, followed by removing all infections with MB usually gets rid of it.

You scanned and removed and are still having a problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, it won't let him scan. There is a process that is running that has his cpu at 100 percent usage so he can't do anything until that process gets killed. Start from the beginning and read so you can understand whats going on. :D

lawson_jl

You could slave the drive and copy the data off it another drive and do a reinstall then. Most people have some data they want to keep so I never recommend a full reformt except as last resort.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Okay - I quickly perused it earlier. I get it now :D

It may or may not be worth it, but you could get an HDD to USB adapter and scan the drive with another computer.

ceewi1

VIP Member
OK, a few possibilities. Even if you are able to download Malwarebytes' onto the PC, it's quite possible that you won't be able to install it while the infection is present. I'd like you to visit this webpage for to familiarise yourself with ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

NOTE: When you download ComboFix.exe, rename it like so:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

In order to get it onto your system, is it possible for you to download it on another computer and burn it onto a CD? Alternatively, see if you can download it on the infected PC. Even without the mouse, it should be possible to download it using just the keyboard. Try pressing the Windows key + R , typing in iexplore and press Enter. This should bring up Internet Explorer. Use the tab key to go into the address bar and type in the address of one of the download locations:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Alternatively, try going into Safe Mode with Networking. When you are stuck at the black screen after logging in, press Ctrl + Alt + Del. Then press Alt -> F -> N to bring up the Run dialog. Type explorer.exe and press Enter. This should bring up the normal Desktop.

It may be extremely slow with 100% CPU usage, but hopefully it should eventually load. If you are able to run ComboFix, run it and post the log it generates. If not, please let me know what stage you were able to get up to.

If I copied everything to the external drive would this solve the problem?
Just copy the files that are to be kept then format and reinstall?
Yes, but I was under the impression you were unable to see the external drive at all when it was plugged in? Please clarify this point. If you are able to see it, try using the external drive to copy across ComboFix.

DeskAssist

Hi Guys

First off may I start by saying I have very little computer knowledge, so I may get things mixed up but please bear with me, your help is greatly appreciated

My sisters laptop has just got the Antivirus 2009 on it
I've read a bit about it and done a few searches but can't find anything quite the same as the problems she's having

In normal mode the desktop icons and start bar have disappeared
I can eventually get the task manager to open but it's really slow
The CPU is always at 100% even though it's not doing anything
The mouse/touchpad is disabled

I can restart the computer in safemode and everything appears to be there
But once again the mouse is disabled and the CPU is at 100%

I have used another computer to download and save Malwarebytes onto an external hard drive
I then connected the hard drive to the laptop and tried to run it but it does nothing as the CPU is already at 100%

From what I have read it looks like I can solve the problem my running Malwarebytes and ccleaner etc... but I am unable to do this as I cannot move the mouse or get the CPU down from 100%

I spoke to the guys at PC world today as I'd given up - But when they said they'd charge £150 to format/ system restore the thing I though I'd give it another go again myself

I hope i've done a good enough job to explain things - like i said i'm really new to this and don't have a great understanding

Can I enable the mouse and reduce the CPU usage in order to run malwarebytes, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance

Did you manage to get this resolved at all? I may be able to help!

ant_8u

Thanks Ceewi1
I will try this when I get home tonight and see if I can get Combofix going

In answer to your question - I cannot see the external drive at present
I thought I should just ask though incase it suddenly appears

BTW
is ALT -> F -> N ...
ALT then F then N
or ALT + F + N ?

Thanks

laznz1

Antivirus 2009 is that your Virus protection? i think you will find it is a virus in itself

it sounds real bad id personally reinstall windows

ant_8u

Ok - I got into safe mode with networking and loaded the desktop
I managed to open the task manager
I even opened internet explorer (eventually!) - but the page would not open (damn it)

I think it might have been because it was taking too long to load?
Guessing this is because of the 100% CPU usage?

If I can get Combo Fix onto a CD would I be able to run it from there once I opened the desktop? - That way I wouldn't have to worry about IE not loading?

Hugh9191

Personally I wouldn't trust a computer that had been that infected in the past. I'd boot into an Ubuntu live CD and copy all the files you need on to an external HDD (which Ubuntu'll recognise) and reinstall Windows.

Respital

Ok - I got into safe mode with networking and loaded the desktop
I managed to open the task manager
I even opened internet explorer (eventually!) - but the page would not open (damn it)

I think it might have been because it was taking too long to load?
Guessing this is because of the 100% CPU usage?

If I can get Combo Fix onto a CD would I be able to run it from there once I opened the desktop? - That way I wouldn't have to worry about IE not loading?

Yes, i believe ComboFix can run from a CD.

Please update us on your situation and post the logs once you finish runnning ComboFix.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't trust a computer that had been that infected in the past. I'd boot into an Ubuntu live CD and copy all the files you need on to an external HDD (which Ubuntu'll recognise) and reinstall Windows.

There are certain infections that the best way to clean them is by doing a format and reinstallation of windows, however this infection is not one of them.

ant_8u

Right then - I have Combo-Fix on a CD
I'm running it on the laptop as i type this

So far I think it has done a quick scan, deleted some stuff, and rebooted windows

I currently have a blue window on the screen saying "preparing Log Report" etc...

I'll let you know when things start to happen

ant_8u

Ok, so it's been 23 hours since my last post and there's been no progress

The screen still shows "Preparing Log Report" etc...

What are your thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i was wondering how it was going. Do you see hard drive activity? HDD activity light blinking? See if you see a file called combofix.txt under your C drive or search for it. That file is the combofix log itself.