Nexus One or iPhone?

PabloTeK

Note: The iPhone I'd be getting is the one that is rumoured for June/July; my contract is up in September.

Seeing as my university have just caused me to have a rather large surplus (thanks for cutting the rent short without asking first SAS) I fancy a new smartphone because I now HATE Symbian as an OS. I've been looking at the Nexus One (current favourite) and some rumours of the new iPhone, but usually they're fan-blinkered so are as trustworth as Lord Volde... NO MANDELSON.

Any views anyone? I want a terminal for SSH, email, decent screen. I do also rather like the Android Amazon MP3 app.

bkribbs

Note: The iPhone I'd be getting is the one that is rumoured for June/July; my contract is up in September.

Seeing as my university have just caused me to have a rather large surplus (thanks for cutting the rent short without asking first SAS) I fancy a new smartphone because I now HATE Symbian as an OS. I've been looking at the Nexus One (current favourite) and some rumours of the new iPhone, but usually they're fan-blinkered so are as trustworth as Lord Volde... NO MANDELSON.

Any views anyone? I want a terminal for SSH, email, decent screen. I do also rather like the Android Amazon MP3 app.

Ive messed around with the android and they seem pretty good. My choice would be the iPhone. It has everything you said you wanted. I have an iPod Touch and love it. I just wish i could use it everywhere instear of needing wifi. But, obviously, this isnt a problem with the iPhone as you get 3g. Imo, it is a sleek, fast operating system, which goes great with the hardware of the iPhone. I think you would be happy with whichever you choose, but i would go with the iPhone. Good luck! Oh, if it comes out on verizon like it has been rumored, go with verizon. If not, at and t is still ok.
Enjoy!
Bkribbs

speedyink

VIP Member
I'd go for the nexus one. I much prefer the open platform it runs on. Also, the Nexus has a higher resolution screen which is slightly bigger, and the camera is much better. I also like the idea of expandable memory. Note that the camera issue will most likely be resolved in the new iphone. They might improve the screen as well, but I'm not so sure about that one.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Don't get an iphone if you want to do anything with bluetooth, my dad learned that the hard way...

bkribbs

Don't get an iphone if you want to do anything with bluetooth, my dad learned that the hard way...

They are upgrading certain capabilites with the bluetooth. I would reccommend that you wait until it is closer to September and the new iPhone has come out with the new os-also around the same time as the iPhone- and then decide, as we dont know what exactly all is included in the os or the new iPhone.

Ethan3.14159

This should helo your decision out, no iphone. (Ignore the HTC if you aren't into them)

Hmm, I think that's a bit wrong seeing has how I can copy/paste from Safari on my iPhone, transfer bluetooth files between my iPhone and Macbook Pro, and record video and audio with the camera. :rolleyes:

Not to mention there's the Skype App for iPhone for video calls. ;)

Anyway, go with the iPhone. The Apps available make it far more capable than any smartphone. I can do anything from spreadsheets to editing PDF's to using the iPhone as a remote control for my PC or Macbook. Also, the next iPhone OS will include multitasking, which is a plus.

Last edited:

The Chad

Okay. point taken then. I'll remember that for next. I've removed the picture.
I'd still have the Nexus One though, as my personal choice.

speedyink

VIP Member
Not to mention there's the Skype App for iPhone for video calls. ;)

How does that work with no front facing camera? Do you have to choose whether to see or be seen? Also found out it only works on wifi :( Can't use it on my phone then. Guess I don't need it though..since video calling is built in. Just gotta wait for the inter-carrier thing to go through.

Last edited:

bkribbs

I should hope it would get it. I'm just wondering how in the hell you use skype on the current iphone.

i have an ipod touch, and you cant do video calls. im pretty sure its the same with the iPhone, as i dont think there are two versions of skype. i think that for now, all you can do is the chat and talk. but they would reprogram it if the iphone has a front camera.

Roykov

Ive heard many problems with androids, they lag, they freeze & they crash. Ive used one and the touch screen isint as sensitive and easy to use because it works by pressure points where as the iphone works by tiny heat sensors, giving it a better user experience

Although it is a rumor that a new iphone will be released, its pretty much a %100 chance that it will. Seeing as tho they update their products yearly untill it gets to a standard they think is the best they can achieve, I think that this new iphone will be the last. for many years to come

Many people hate the iphone just because apple makes it, this is a stupid reason lol its like saying "I hate food because the ground grows it"

I would pick the iphone because it is a much more stable product, not to mention it isint a phone, its more than that, its a hand held computer.

I hope this helps

Tuffie

Pablo what about the N900.

I just got mine, and I love it. As far as I can see, it's designed as a nerd phone, 600mHz ARM CPU, infrared transceiver (it's so much fun changing the channel with your phone you wouldn't belive.), FM transmitter, 802.11 b/g, not to mention the fact it can be used as a phone almost anywhere (GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 900/1700/2100).

Its even got a terminal lol.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Nexus One! Open OS which means a lot more independent content will be available down the road. Does the Nexus have flash? This is an irritating issue with the iphone, even my blackberry browser can do flash.