Nexus One or iPhone?

Geoff

VIP Member
Ive heard many problems with androids, they lag, they freeze & they crash. Ive used one and the touch screen isint as sensitive and easy to use because it works by pressure points where as the iphone works by tiny heat sensors, giving it a better user experience
I had an iPhone 3G for almost 2 years, and have had my Motorola Droid for a few months. The iPhone is great in the sense that everything just works, and the media interface is fantastic since after all, they did create the iPod.

My iPhone froze and crashed all the time. As for the screen, I can't say for sure about the Nexus One but my Droid has a capacitive touch screen, it is not pressure sensitive, meaning it will not accidentally open things up if you have it in your pocket. It has the same type of screen as the iPhone, the iPhone does not have heat sensors, they use capacitive touch screens.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The iPhone is the better rounded phone in my opinion. Having played with and owned several smart phones. The only downside is AT&T. I hacked my iPhone for T-Mobile, and it never crashes and it runs like a champ, but I don't get all the features and updating can be a pain when it's hacked.

However, I save $40 a month on T-Mobile, that adds up to $480 a year because AT&T has really over expensive rates. If I had to go out and buy a phone today, I would buy the Nexus, but not because it is a better phone, but because I can get a cheaper plan with it.

The iPhone has better app rates too. Pay for apps off the android store are almost all subscription based, meaning more monthly bills to pay, where as the iPhone you just out right buy the app.

I hear all this talk about open platform versus the apple gestapo for apps. However, no one has been able to prove that is really a huge feature over the iPhone. Sure, open platform, so that means you just get more crappy apps, since there are no standards. I have yet to see any app that doesn't have the exact iPhone version, or an iPhone counter-part that does the same thing.

The thing is, with the iPhone, it just feels more innovative. Multi touch + gyroscope-like interactions. I mean shaking the iPhone reloads a web page, that is awesome.

However, in the end it is all about $$$ to me, and since my current iPhone with my current plan is about $60 a month compared to the $99 a month AT&T plan (and they are the same plan almost) I will stick with T-Mobile, because spending nearly $500 a year is not really worth it to me - for a phone. Some people it may be worth it, but not me.

Geoff

VIP Member
There are a few apps out there that you can not get due to Apple's strict application policy. One is a tethering app, you can not get a WiFi tethering app on the iPhone without jailbreaking. A second app that I always use is a wardriving app that plots opens wireless access points on a map and uploads them online, neither of which are available on the iPhone. On the flip side, everything I had on the iPhone, I have on my Droid.

For rates, I don't know how you save $40, I talked to T-Mobile and for a similar plan (450 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data), it would only save me $10-$15 a month, plus their coverage is horrible around here. Verizon has the best service, that is the main reason why I switch. Why have a good phone if I can't use it because I don't have service anywhere? Verizon is $7 less per month for better service then ATT.

Being able to swap a battery is a godsend for me, I bought a spare battery to keep in my car and I've had to use it on several occasions if I had to go out after using my phone all day when I was planning on being able to charge it when I got home.

The only things I miss about my iPhone over the Droid is the awesome media interface, being able to open PDF's and doc/docx formats without any special apps, and that when jailbroken it was an awesome phone.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1457426 said:
There are a few apps out there that you can not get due to Apple's strict application policy. One is a tethering app, you can not get a WiFi tethering app on the iPhone without jailbreaking. A second app that I always use is a wardriving app that plots opens wireless access points on a map and uploads them online, neither of which are available on the iPhone. On the flip side, everything I had on the iPhone, I have on my Droid.

For rates, I don't know how you save $40, I talked to T-Mobile and for a similar plan (450 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data), it would only save me $10-$15 a month, plus their coverage is horrible around here. Verizon has the best service, that is the main reason why I switch. Why have a good phone if I can't use it because I don't have service anywhere? Verizon is $7 less per month for better service then ATT.

Being able to swap a battery is a godsend for me, I bought a spare battery to keep in my car and I've had to use it on several occasions if I had to go out after using my phone all day when I was planning on being able to charge it when I got home.

The only things I miss about my iPhone over the Droid is the awesome media interface, being able to open PDF's and doc/docx formats without any special apps, and that when jailbroken it was an awesome phone.

I've been with T-Mobile since 2000, so I get this

unlimited data
750 anytime minutes
500 texts (I can upgrade to unlimited for an additional $6, but I never use over 500 a month)
nights and weekends free
Plus the standard, call waiting, three way calling, yadda yadda yadda

total cost: $50 and after taxes and fees, $60 to $65. Their coverage here is fine, and I have traveled all over the US with T-Mobile and I hardly ever have issue with it.

Tethering? Um, wasn't that released as a native feature last OS update? Maybe not? War driving? That is, not a feature that makes or breaks a phone, and if I were to war drive I would do it with a netbook, not a smart phone.

Oh and this is the rumored, new iPhone right here

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Apparently Apple did lose a prototype of their phone...

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Ive heard many problems with androids, they lag, they freeze & they crash. Ive used one and the touch screen isint as sensitive and easy to use because it works by pressure points where as the iphone works by tiny heat sensors, giving it a better user experience

I'm pretty sure there was only 1 android phone that used a resistive touch screen. All others, including the Nexus One, uses capacitive touch screens.

Geoff

VIP Member
Tethering? Um, wasn't that released as a native feature last OS update? Maybe not? War driving? That is, not a feature that makes or breaks a phone, and if I were to war drive I would do it with a netbook, not a smart phone
Yes it is a function of OS 3.0, however ATT has it disabled. As for war driving, it's just one of those things that I think is pretty cool, and being able to use it on the Droid vs iPhone was just as an example. As I said before, I had an iPhone 3G for 2 years, so I knew quite a bit about what it can and can't do.

The purpose of the war driving app is to let it run in the background (can't do on the iPhone, at least not without OS 4.0), and it will plot the access points along with GPS data on a map, which you can then upload and view on a computer or on your phone. The GPS functionality is very handy.

PabloTeK

Bugger it Apple, that iPhone changes thigns slightly. I'm with Vodafone UK (contract due up in September) who do have the iPhone so by then they'll in theory have both of the phones! Might wait till then anywayz!

tlarkin

VIP Member
You gotta look at what Apple stresses to accomplish. End user ease and efficiency. Long, long, long battery life. Mobility, and sleek design. Those are their goals when designing a product.

My 1st gen iPhone still holds a decent charge, a lot better than almost all my previous phones (maybe minus my last Nokia, that thing would last weeks with out charging).

Then they want to build a complete and simple infrastructure to deploy new features and apps. The ITMS and iTunes does that. I mean you can manage all your features from iTunes and next sync bam, you get whatever you set. It is so easy my grandma could probably figure it out and robust enough to keep power users entertained.

War driving? Yeah, so you are gonna sniff wifi on a phone battery? Good luck, not to mention the antenna sucks say, compared to something that is actually used for war driving. I am not saying that you are wrong, but more so that the point is kind of invalid. I was asking for features that were not possible on the iPhone, and while you did give me one feature, a simple jail break changes that. Jail breaking is soft modding too, so no voiding the warranty. You got an issue, restore the phone take it in to Apple.

I am looking for a specific feature the iPhone just cannot do, that the Android can. Don't get me wrong, I will probably end up getting an Android for my next phone just because I am tired of hacking my phone and want native support for my carrier, and I will NOT switch to AT&T.

bkribbs

Oh and this is the rumored, new iPhone right here

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Apparently Apple did lose a prototype of their phone...

this has been confirmed now to be the new iPhone.. whoever lost it is going to need to find a new job... haha

You gotta look at what Apple stresses to accomplish. End user ease and efficiency. Long, long, long battery life. Mobility, and sleek design. Those are their goals when designing a product.

My 1st gen iPhone still holds a decent charge, a lot better than almost all my previous phones (maybe minus my last Nokia, that thing would last weeks with out charging).

Then they want to build a complete and simple infrastructure to deploy new features and apps. The ITMS and iTunes does that. I mean you can manage all your features from iTunes and next sync bam, you get whatever you set. It is so easy my grandma could probably figure it out and robust enough to keep power users entertained.

War driving? Yeah, so you are gonna sniff wifi on a phone battery? Good luck, not to mention the antenna sucks say, compared to something that is actually used for war driving. I am not saying that you are wrong, but more so that the point is kind of invalid. I was asking for features that were not possible on the iPhone, and while you did give me one feature, a simple jail break changes that. Jail breaking is soft modding too, so no voiding the warranty. You got an issue, restore the phone take it in to Apple.

I am looking for a specific feature the iPhone just cannot do, that the Android can. Don't get me wrong, I will probably end up getting an Android for my next phone just because I am tired of hacking my phone and want native support for my carrier, and I will NOT switch to AT&T.

Hold on until this year is over, as the iPhone may be coming to Verizon Wireless!

Geoff

VIP Member

Not sure what you are talking about really, my iPhone 3G needed to be charged 1-2 times per day, after all who buys an iPhone to just keep in their pocket all day? It will only last a few hours if you use it for music/videos and using apps.

I gave you two things that the Droid can do, one was wardriving, the second was tethering. On the flip side, tell me something that the iPhone has that the Droid doesn't?

And what happens if the issue is you can't restore back to the original software? I've never had that happen, but it's always possible.

Complete customization.
+1 Before OS 4.0 there was nothing you could customize, no background, no custom themes, no folders, and very little system settings that you can customize.

linkin

VIP Member
My Dad has the iPhone 3GS. It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong, but for me it's just not customizable enough, or supportive enough (think bluetooth)

And it's a little big, if i may add.

Ethan3.14159

My Dad has the iPhone 3GS. It's a nice phone, don't get me wrong, but for me it's just not customizable enough, or supportive enough (think bluetooth)

And it's a little big, if i may add.
What's wrong with the bluetooth on his? Mine works perfectly fine.

I think the sheer number of apps makes it more customizable than any other phone.

bkribbs

I think the sheer number of apps makes it more customizable than any other phone.

i agree. well at least with customization. i have never messed with an iphones bluetooth. i have an ipod touch and it works well. especially with os 4.0 coming out this summer with customizable themes, it will be fine.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member

Try using a bluetooth speaker, or bluetooth headphones with audio controls. Or try bluetoothing a song or a picture to another phone.

Take person with iphone A and person with iphone B and look at their main screen. Chances are they look identicle except for maybe the icons are different/different order. Number of apps is a stupid example. I can get over 4,000 apps for my sony ericsson k850i dumb phone. iphone is far from the only one with apps.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Try using a bluetooth speaker, or bluetooth headphones with audio controls. Or try bluetoothing a song or a picture to another phone.

Take person with iphone A and person with iphone B and look at their main screen. Chances are they look identicle except for maybe the icons are different/different order. Number of apps is a stupid example. I can get over 4,000 apps for my sony ericsson k850i dumb phone. iphone is far from the only one with apps.

i cant speak about bluetooth, as i dont use it. but, in 2 months, apple is giving us themes. so everyone needs to be patient...