Nexus One or iPhone?

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1459133 said:
I've used them all. redsn0w was only for a few versions of the OS, and likewise was blackra1n. I used whatever was available to jailbreak the latest OS.

How iPwn worked is that it just modified the actual image of the iPhone OS and modified a bit of code to let the Cydia package manager run. I have had zero problems for the most part. To be honest though, I would rather it run native than to hack it. So, I do gotta agree with Speedy on that regard. Hacking it can get annoying...

And tlarkin, I know what you mean, people brought cameras to some of my parties and I specifically tell them NOT to upload any photos of me, I then check their facebook to make sure that I am not in any, because I don't want my co-workers, employer, or future employers to see any of that. You just need to use common sense. If you call out of work sick, don't post on facebook that you are out partying. I typically do not post my location online anyways, and although I am signed up for Google Latitude, I've never had any issues.

You can't control friends of friends, and for the most part I am the same. I also have untagged myself from a few photos that were a bit risque. I do have several professional contacts on my FB page, but for the most part, those people only use it for social networking and not work. If I were to hand a resume out today, I would link my personal website as the go to site, which is one of the reasons I created it. So that I can use it as a resume and provide all the info a employer would want to know, all the while avoiding the social networking sites. Though, as a standard procedure these days, HR will check all of the social networking sites. At my previous job we had 3 candidates that were dismissed from an open position because something on their myspace or FB did not sit well with the supervisor.

Oh, and Google Buzz? That automatic opt in, with automatic publish to the general public??? Hmm, what about that? That should be proof Google doesn't care all that much about your privacy. Then all Google said, was "Oh dang, our bad..." That was only after someone filed suit against them, otherwise they would most likely still be doing it.

The Astroman

Even though it's not part of your original choice, I would recommend the HTC Desire. It's basically a friendlier, better-looking and more ergonomically friendly device than the Nexus One and is open-source.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You can't control friends of friends, and for the most part I am the same. I also have untagged myself from a few photos that were a bit risque. I do have several professional contacts on my FB page, but for the most part, those people only use it for social networking and not work. If I were to hand a resume out today, I would link my personal website as the go to site, which is one of the reasons I created it. So that I can use it as a resume and provide all the info a employer would want to know, all the while avoiding the social networking sites. Though, as a standard procedure these days, HR will check all of the social networking sites. At my previous job we had 3 candidates that were dismissed from an open position because something on their myspace or FB did not sit well with the supervisor.

Oh, and Google Buzz? That automatic opt in, with automatic publish to the general public??? Hmm, what about that? That should be proof Google doesn't care all that much about your privacy. Then all Google said, was "Oh dang, our bad..." That was only after someone filed suit against them, otherwise they would most likely still be doing it.
Well, the advantage of living in a small town is that I know almost everyone. I usually know everyone at the parties and such, and since we are all friends on facebook it hasn't been an issue.

I also opted out of Google Buzz. I did read an article though that Google is collecting data with Google Maps installed on their phone to help report traffic on secondary roads, and there is no way to disable that as far as I know. The way I see it, there are so many people that are in a similar situation that it doesn't really bother me, and since I'm not doing anything bad I could care less.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1459158 said:
Well, the advantage of living in a small town is that I know almost everyone. I usually know everyone at the parties and such, and since we are all friends on facebook it hasn't been an issue.

I also opted out of Google Buzz. I did read an article though that Google is collecting data with Google Maps installed on their phone to help report traffic on secondary roads, and there is no way to disable that as far as I know. The way I see it, there are so many people that are in a similar situation that it doesn't really bother me, and since I'm not doing anything bad I could care less.

That is exactly Eric Schmidt's stance on it. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then why bother? I know it is mostly harmless right now, but who is to say it won't cause damage in the future. This all reminds me of a famous quote:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up for others that it may. You never know when you may need them to speak up for you.

Geoff

VIP Member
That is exactly Eric Schmidt's stance on it. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then why bother? I know it is mostly harmless right now, but who is to say it won't cause damage in the future. This all reminds me of a famous quote:

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up for others that it may. You never know when you may need them to speak up for you.
That is a very good quote, and I do see where you are coming from, but it's not just Google. Even though I seem nonchalant about this whole thing, I would never get an RFID chip. I do feel as though with everything being moved to the "cloud", that all it takes is some hacker or some major mishap to clear out my bank account, IRA, add a few extra digits to my mortgage, and for all my E-Mails, calendar events, etc. to be erased with no local or hard copy for me to refer to as proof. I'm surprised this hasn't been more of an issue, and if it wasn't for the simplicity of doing everything online, I would do everything locally.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1459170 said:
That is a very good quote, and I do see where you are coming from, but it's not just Google. Even though I seem nonchalant about this whole thing, I would never get an RFID chip. I do feel as though with everything being moved to the "cloud", that all it takes is some hacker or some major mishap to clear out my bank account, IRA, add a few extra digits to my mortgage, and for all my E-Mails, calendar events, etc. to be erased with no local or hard copy for me to refer to as proof. I'm surprised this hasn't been more of an issue, and if it wasn't for the simplicity of doing everything online, I would do everything locally.

Whenever anyone asks for my social security number I ask why they need it. If they cannot give me a valid answer I say nope. I don't want some idiot putting it into an unsecure database to have it stolen, mined, and then my identity being hijacked.

speedyink

VIP Member
Whenever anyone asks for my social security number I ask why they need it. If they cannot give me a valid answer I say nope. I don't want some idiot putting it into an unsecure database to have it stolen, mined, and then my identity being hijacked.

Why would anyone need that other than an employer?

Geoff

VIP Member
Why would anyone need that other than an employer?
People ask for your SSN all the time. When you sign up with a new cell phone provider, apply for a credit card, want your credit score, open a bank account, heck even my college used to identify people with their SSN's.

speedyink

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1459213 said:
People ask for your SSN all the time. When you sign up with a new cell phone provider, apply for a credit card, want your credit score, open a bank account, heck even my college used to identify people with their SSN's.

Whhhat?? Thats insane. I guess it's used a lot more down there. Here it's usually just 2 pieces of valid ID.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Man, this is getting really off topic you guys! :rolleyes:

Not really, but yes in some ways it is. Being aware of how telecom companies handle your information is valuable, but doesn't really affect the decision making process when buying a phone.

If you buy Android, you get all those Google apps built in and turned on by default. So, it is relevant somewhat to the decision making if that is a deal breaker or deal maker for you.

speedyink

VIP Member
Screw it, i'm waiting to see what windows phone 7 is like first hand before i even think about this decision again.

bioevo

In my opinion- Nexus is much more useful and Android beat Iphone OS.

Android is developing very fast, I heard its already most popular OS on phones, so choice is rly simple to me.