Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!

**matt**

whenever I'm messing with a motherboard, I always keep it on top of the static bag it came with at all times...

I thought it's bad to put the mobo on the anti-static bag because anti-static bags keep static electricity on the outside of the bag.

Matt

lol curtains. building a cmputer isn't hard. for the most part, you can just plug in the stuff in the only place it fits :p

nepts, just because the motherboard doesn't work doesn't actually mean it was your (or your brothers) fault. it could have just been a defective motherboard.

when i work on my computers, i'm always lying cards, ram, etc on my bed, the rug, a chair, ontop of the pc case, anywhere thats close and without any anti static bags. my hands usually get sweaty too and i'm often dropping screws on the motherboard. hell, half the time i don't even unplug the power cord, i just shut down the pc to make minor changes (like cards or drives). yet after many years, i have had no problems. the stuff isen't as delicate as many people seem to think.

remind me NEVER to buy a pc from you ... you haven't got a pet horse by any chance have you ? ...... cos i've found the COWBOY!!

bumblebee_tuna

No, don't....... In fact, if your desk is made out of wood, a bare surface is one of the best things to work on; wood doesn't conduct electricity.........

I don't know if this hasn't been mentioned yet but whenever you work on computers without an anti-static strap, it's a good practice to touch something metal, such as the case, to discharge any electricity you have.......

Also, from personal experience, if you ever drop a screw in your case, never use the actual screwdriver to fish it out. I must of touched something because somehow that fried one of my mobos........

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
It's not hard building the computer its just hard knowing what your doing and what you need to buy i think is the hardest part about it, its hard when u dont know about buses and stuff cause u could by the wrong parts but after that yea its pretty stright forward. just fit it where it fits.

It's not hard building the computer its just hard knowing what your doing and what you need to buy i think is the hardest part about it, and maybe the other thing is knowing when ur getting riped off for crap like a celeron may look fast to noobs cause of there cheapness, compared to say a athlon, a athlon with the same frequency would out perfrom a celeron with same frequency hardcore, but the real thing is celerons just suck... or say a 7300 compared to a 6800gt for instinct a 6800 is way better but the 7300gt is a higher number that fools alota noobs., its hard when u dont know about buses and stuff cause u could buy the wrong parts but after that yea its pretty stright forward. just fit it where it fits.

It's not hard building the computer its just hard knowing what your doing and what you need to buy i think is the hardest part about it, and maybe the other thing is knowing when ur getting riped off for crap like a celeron may look fast to noobs cause of there cheapness, compared to say a athlon, a athlon with the same frequency would out perfrom a celeron with same frequency hardcore, but the real thing is celerons just suck... or say a 7300 compared to a 6800gt for instinct a 6800 is way better but the 7300gt is a higher number that fools alota noobs., its hard when u dont know about buses and stuff cause u could buy the wrong parts but after that yea its pretty stright forward. just fit it where it fits.
I think he heard you the first time.... click happy were we??

Thanks for the carings. Should I wear vinyl gloves then?

whatever floats yer boat !!

No seriously, you can go a bit over the top with anti static protection sometimes.
All the pc's i've worked on i do three things EVERYTIME....
1. obviously turn off the power and take out power lead from pc

2. press the power button on front of pc to discharge any residual power

3. touch the side of the PSU(NOT CPU !!) to discarge any static from myself

then just as a precaution, if i leave the room for any reason i will touch the PSU again on returning.

I have never had a fried componant due to static in the 4 years i've been fixing pc's.

PohTayToez

I thought it's bad to put the mobo on the anti-static bag because anti-static bags keep static electricity on the outside of the bag.

Matt[/q]

Antistatic bags don't 'keep' the electricity anywhere. I'm pretty sure they work by being slightly conductive themselves, and absorbing and dispersing any electricity.

PabloTeK

I use an anti-static wristband because our carpet has polyester in it and it creates a massive amount of static if I'm in trackies. I hook myself up to the radiators because they're earthed. I also built this rig on the dining table because it has wooden legs. I use the anti-static mat that came with my DS4 just-in-case and because it'll damage the table mat.:p

In the 10 or 15 years that my family has been using and playing with PC's we've never fried anything.

EDIT: Anti-static bags are made of a plastic that's very hard to pass electricity through. Static is always high-voltage, low current. That's why it arcs but doesn't kill you.

Last edited:

curtains

Just some facts.

Ok, from what i leant at school, electricity arching is around 10,000 volts per CM. so if ur mobo only uses a 5v, 3.3, 12v rails + ur cpu that uses like 1.3v - 1.5v, and ram thats like 2.2v. So say u put 10 volts through it through static, that'll only have to be .001mm of a arch would be 10 volts now do u think u can see that? and thats already enough to fry ur CPU and RAM.

Styrak

Originally Posted by curtains
It's not hard building the computer its just hard knowing what your doing and what you need to buy i think is the hardest part about it, its hard when u dont know about buses and stuff cause u could by the wrong parts but after that yea its pretty stright forward. just fit it where it fits.

Quote:

Quote:

You, sir, are an idiot.

PabloTeK

It's probably likely that something went pop in production or along the line. A magnetic screwdriver isn't going to have much of an effect if the system is powered down because there aren't any EM waves floating around.

bumblebee_tuna

I'm guessing I touched something like those half-circle thingy's with the wires wrapped around it or something...... Another thing is that I probably didn't turn the power off so it probably shorted something........ All I know is that I smelled something that was burnt and didn't really think about it until I found that my computer wouldn't start.

I'm also getting a conflict of different safety procedures as I have read that you should leave the power cord in the wall as then it would be grounded but also taking it out then pressing the power button makes sense too..........

curtains

sry bout my tri post lol .. i forgot what happened .. i think i ediited it then pressed post or somehting ..