OC'ing E6300

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for that link, I'll get it when I get in, I don't know if I could do a 24 hour stress test on it, I could do maybe, 16... :p

What do you mean it could take days to finally get there?

Strange that it doesn't post, I wonder why it doesn't... :confused:

Nah, I think you're right, I won't be upping the Vcore at all :p

lol, Ok sure, I'll test it properly when I get in, I don't know it wouldn't work.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Thanks for that link, I'll get it when I get in, I don't know if I could do a 24 hour stress test on it, I could do maybe, 16... :p

What do you mean it could take days to finally get there?

Strange that it doesn't post, I wonder why it doesn't... :confused:

Nah, I think you're right, I won't be upping the Vcore at all :p

lol, Ok sure, I'll test it properly when I get in, I don't know it wouldn't work.

Overclocking is all about taking it slow.. Making a small jump and then testing to see if your system is stable. If you did a full prime95 test each time you made a small jump it would take you days. That's what i meant.

It's accepted that most CPU's have some headroom at stock. So one or two large jumps then subsequent smaller jumps is Much faster than the old way of 5mhz increase by 5mhz increase..

Kornowski

VIP Member
I get what you meant now :p :)

I think I need to buy a new CPU cooler to be able to go a little higher, as you can see it's running a little hot.

I'm going to get the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7, as you don't have to remove the MOBO to put it in and it's only £20.

What do you I will be able to read without touching the voltages, just using the FSB?

Also, I had trouble removing the CMOS battery, got any tips on how to do it?

Thanks a lot for all this help dude :D

Kornowski

VIP Member
Does OC'ing the CPU OC any other components, also, how do I check if anything else isn't get too hot, like the northbridge or something.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I got it to 2.2GHZ, I think it was 320mhz, I can't remember, it was Ok.

I've noticed though, when-ever I press the reset switch on my case, it goes to reset and then powers off, it then resets the BIOS to default settings and the OC is gone.

Also, I still don't know if it is worth it, I know I'm being a huge pain in the A$$...

Maddhatter

you really should get some high speed ram for overclocking and definitely a better cooler. Im getting the one you mentioned as well because its only $34 on newegg and it got some really good reviews. The way i see it tho if you don't need the overclock then its not worth it to do it as you will not see a performance increase unless you need it. I always wondered if intels chips were meant to be overclocked why didn't they just overclock them from the start? the rated speed they are shipped at has to be set for a reason. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
You can get alot higher then 2.2Ghz. I used an E6300 and cheap Patriot DDR2-667 RAM and got the speed up to 3.2Ghz and the RAM up to DDR2-920 @ 5-5-5-15 timings. You just have to raise the voltages of the RAM, CPU, FSB, Northbridge, adjust the timings, disable features such as spread spectrum and thermal throttling, and make misc BIOS tweaks.

ADE

banned
I sorry to tell you, but Prime95 did nothing for me. I used it, it told me my computer was stable, then, it random restarts. (that was then, a while back) i don't trust it, don't see how i can if it did nothing for me. i duno it it was just me, but what i needed to do was add .1V to the north chip set i think (while ago) and it was fine, but if it couldn't tell me that, then what good is it.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't want to mess around with the voltages and timings of anything, I happy to raise the FSB though.

I don't have it @ 2.2 right now as I feel it was a bit hot, so I've got it at stock, I'll wait to OC some more when I get my new cooler. I just need to check that it'll fit in my case though.

OMEGA, How come you havne't OC'ed your PC in the sig, do dell lock the FSB and the like?

Maddhatter, I see what you mean, I don't know if I need it, I may just be doing it because I can and it's smore performance, I don't know if it's necasery. Also, The Arctic Freezer 7 does read up well, and you don't have to take the mobo out to fit it, just take the fan off, install the heatsink and then put the fan back on, it's really simple... :p Apparently.

ADE

banned
I got it to 2.2GHZ, I think it was 320mhz, I can't remember, it was Ok.

I've noticed though, when-ever I press the reset switch on my case, it goes to reset and then powers off, it then resets the BIOS to default settings and the OC is gone.

Also, I still don't know if it is worth it, I know I'm being a huge pain in the A$$...

this is a safety feature, if you ever do something wrong, it will reset as to make sure you don't damage any parts. up the voltage by .1V to the GMH i believe and you will be stable. not the north bridge i said before. i worked for me. I recommend getting a thermaltake Extreme sprint 2 for your northbridge. it will get very hot at 3GHz.

Kornowski

VIP Member
this is a safety feature, if you ever do something wrong, it will reset as to make sure you don't damage any parts. up the voltage by .1V to the GMH i believe and you will be stable. not the north bridge i said before. i worked for me. I recommend getting a thermaltake Extreme sprint 2 for your northbridge. it will get very hot at 3GHz.

What did I do wrong by resetting the computer?

I don't feel comfortable upping any voltages, would it does this everytime if I left the voltage and only changed the FSB?

I don't plan on taking it 3GHZ, maybe 2.4 or 2.6...

Rambo

I don't plan on taking it 3GHZ, maybe 2.4 or 2.6...

Ok. You will want to take it to 2.8Ghz. ;)

What is your memory multiplier set at? It's 667Mhz RAM, so once you get the FSB to 350Mhz, you should start to consider changing the multiplier to 2.0. This way you're overclocking the CPU, but the RAM is staying the same as it would be at stock (Memory multi x FSB = RAM speed ;) ).

Kornowski, I encourage you to think about adding .1v+ to the Northbridge. Doing this will not hard your motherboard at all. If it did, why would they include the setting in the first place?

Your motherboard needs that extra juice running through the Northbridge/MCH (Memory Controller Hub) in order to keep it stable. Trust me. I took this thing to 3.5Ghz and beyond with the stock cooler - I know what I'm talking about.

So - what are you waiting for? Get OC'ing ;)

ADE

banned
Rambo, i think i must question your telling of getting that speed and saying it was stable.
1. why don't you have it at that speed now?
2. There is no way in hell that i could see a stock cooler getting that high OC with those temps!
3. why exactly does the manufacture date matter? I am hearing that when making CPU's there is something different in them or something as time goes on. something along those lines.

Although I total trust you on what you tell on overclocking, i find it hard to believe you have gotten to what you have said you had with what you had. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, why would you even want another cooler different from stock if it was more than enough? You wouldn't need another one. it does seem to add up what you tell me.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok. You will want to take it to 2.8Ghz.

lol, Ok OC King ;)

What is your memory multiplier set at? It's 667Mhz RAM, so once you get the FSB to 350Mhz, you should start to consider changing the multiplier to 2.0. This way you're overclocking the CPU, but the RAM is staying the same as it would be at stock (Memory multi x FSB = RAM speed ).

I don't know what it's set at, sorry. Why is that, changing the FSB past 350 will OC the RAM? What is the multiplier and how does it work?

Kornowski, I encourage you to think about adding .1v+ to the Northbridge. Doing this will not hard your motherboard at all. If it did, why would they include the setting in the first place?

Right, so is this in the tweaking options in the BIOS? So, what should it be set to? Is it unstable, you mean, when I hit the reset button it doesn't boot back up, it shuts off?

Your motherboard needs that extra juice running through the Northbridge/MCH (Memory Controller Hub) in order to keep it stable. Trust me. I took this thing to 3.5Ghz and beyond with the stock cooler - I know what I'm talking about.

Do I have to worry about the temps of anything like the northbridge, I don't know how I would check them...

So - what are you waiting for? Get OC'ing

I'm waiting to order the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 :p

Then I can OC some, I'm also adding an 80mm fan on the front, hopefully this will help by blowing air onto the CPU cooler.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Rambo, i think i must question your telling of getting that speed and saying it was stable.
2. There is no way in hell that i could see a stock cooler getting that high OC with those temps!
3. why exactly does the manufacture date matter? I am hearing that when making CPU's there is something different in them or something as time goes on. something along those lines.

Although I total trust you on what you tell on overclocking, i find it hard to believe you have gotten to what you have said you had with what you had. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, why would you even want another cooler different from stock if it was more than enough? You wouldn't need another one. it does seem to add up what you tell me.

You've been brainwashed. And the answer you're looking for lies in your third question. What you are referring to is called the stepping, kind of related to the 2 character revision you see in Cpuz, eg. B2. It's basically what you said, the production week. It's a 6 character stepping that is going to be on the front of of your CPU, It cannot to my knowledge show up in any system information apps like sandra, everest, ect but it plays a big role in what you can or cannot do with the chip. Unfortunately this isn't alot if information on the net regarding this, implying that it isn't widely known or accepted.. I do have firsthand experience with it however and can attest to it's importance.

Maddhatter

if i were you i would be perfectly happy with an OC of 2.4 Ghz for an E6300 afterall thats equal to an E6600 and for almost $100 cheaper?

Rambo

1. I had it at that speed when the F2 BIOS was out (I think). Sure, it wasn't exactly 100% stable either. But then again - have I said that it was stable @ 3.5Ghz? However, it was stable enough to run Windows XP and open programs with it. I did not go any further to test it's stability at the time (which I regret now), but it wasn't so bad that it crashed after 1 minute.

The reason I don't have it at that speed now was because it idled @ 40*C - a temperature I was not happy with, despite the fact that is a very acceptable figure, considering the conditions it was in.

2. Well, believe it or not my friend, those were in fact the temperatures it idled at. For anyone missing the screenshot I had at the time:

e6300oc2.GIF

I even went into the BIOS and the temperature was reported to be a few degrees below (38/39).

3. How is that relevant to my previous post?

What I have said on this forum has been the exact opposite of lies. I have never claimed to have a completely stable machine @ 3.5Ghz - just the fact that I was able to get it to that figure with great ease. That was my reason for bringing this up - the fact that it is piss easy to overclock these CPU's, and the fact the Kornowski is just getting into it.

- Rambo.

:)

Kornowski

VIP Member
if i were you i would be perfectly happy with an OC of 2.4 Ghz for an E6300 afterall thats equal to an E6600 and for almost $100 cheaper?

I reached 2.2 GHZ on it and it seemed Ok, but I didn't try and testing, didn't play a game or anything. Yeah, it would be a good OC I guess.

You know the reset problem what's causing that, why doesn't it boot back up?

Wow, Rambo, That's a post and a half :p

There's still that voice in the back of my head, "It'll break, you'll break it, warranty won't count, they'll know, you've done it, lost that money!"

You know :p I don't have voices in my head, by the way, it's just what I'm thinking, lol.