OC'ing E6300

Kornowski

VIP Member
I didn't see any performance gain when @ 2.4Ghz compared to the 1.86Ghz at stock.

About my Northbridge, is it being warm (not burning my hand) Ok? Is there a way I can check the temps of it?

Rambo

I didn't see any performance gain when @ 2.4Ghz compared to the 1.86Ghz at stock.

About my Northbridge, is it being warm (not burning my hand) Ok? Is there a way I can check the temps of it?

Warm = fine. Unbearably hot = bad. Slowly start taking it up to 2.8 GHz now. You won't regret it.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, It's hot / warm, it doesn't burn me so I guess that's Ok.

How much hotter will it get if I add 0.1v to the MCH?

Is that all I should do, then put the FSB up some more?

Rambo

Ok, It's hot / warm, it doesn't burn me so I guess that's Ok.

How much hotter will it get if I add 0.1v to the MCH?

Is that all I should do, then put the FSB up some more?

Yeah, sounds right. What is the default voltage your RAM takes?

Rambo

Ahh, ok, same RAM. That means that by default (without overclocking) you should be running your RAM overvoltage setting at +0.1v, since our RAM requires 1.9v (instead of the BIOS's default 1.8v).

So make sure you add that extra 0.1 volt to the MCH and RAM. ;)

Rambo

Ok Sure, Thanks a lot Rambo!

Howcome you've dropped yours from 3Ghz to 2.8Ghz?

Well, I know it's not much of a difference from 2.8 to 3.0 (that's 57 MHz extra on the RAM) but I just felt it was stabler at 2.8 GHz. I may take it up again actually, to see how it goes. But as of now, it's REALLY stable - hasn't crashed in months!

:)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ah right, Yeah, It's better to have it stable than running slightly faster... Mine hasn't crashed since I got it, Don't know how long it's been, but I haven't had it OC'ed.

Rambo

Ah right, Yeah, It's better to have it stable than running slightly faster... Mine hasn't crashed since I got it, Don't know how long it's been, but I haven't had it OC'ed.

Well, there will be a time when it resets itself cause it's overclocked too much - and then you know it's time to up the voltage, or just go back down. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
So I could test it with Orthos you mean, and if it passes stable, it could still restart some other time?

I may just shoot for 2.4Ghz or 2.6Ghz, I don't think I'd need / want to go any higher... I think I need to buy a new HSF before I try it again, because I was idleing at about 38c.

Howcome my RAM is working fine when it's 0.1v under the recomended?

Rambo

So I could test it with Orthos you mean, and if it passes stable, it could still restart some other time?

I may just shoot for 2.4Ghz or 2.6Ghz, I don't think I'd need / want to go any higher... I think I need to buy a new HSF before I try it again, because I was idleing at about 38c.

Howcome my RAM is working fine when it's 0.1v under the recomended?

No, I meant as you overclock it, you may find it'll restart/crash and that's when you know to up the voltage or take the FSB down.

And your RAM works at 1.8v, but the recommended is 1.9v. It's up to you what you want to run it at, but if you want to overclock your RAM, it's best to put it on +0.1v at least.