Official 3dMark06 Rank Thread

sef24

hmmm. I do not see any Enable text... currently near the bottom this is what I see...

[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

I have put each to 1, but it didnt seem to change anything.
Ill search for results and see if I can figure it out myself

edit:
So I have found out that I would need to add this. . .

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

I also enabled the unlock voltage control in the options, though I dont know if it was needed

edit2:
Now I seem to get a BSOD whenever I apply any type of overclock, even at 840 (which was the max before unlocking the software).

Last edited:

sef24

OK there's just something up with teh dumb 2.1.0 version.

Try the 2.2 beta-

http://downloads.guru3d.com/-MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-1-download-2604.html

That seemed to work, but I seem to get some awkward problems.
I increased my core voltage to 875 and tested with 3dmark06, score ~30950, small improvement. I went ahead and increased it to 900, though whenever I open an application, I end up getting a blue screen.

Once I rebooted, I opened up MSIAfterburner, changed it to 850, and instantly got a blue screen when hitting apply. So it seems that once I hit a blue screen, the computer crashes whenever I try to OC the gpu at all until I redownload the software all together (I think).

Possibly the drivers? Ill have to look into it. . . Either way, this new setup is giving me some strange problems at the moment. Such as turning on the computer, It boots up for 5 seconds, turns off, reboots up and works just fine. Every time I turn it on it goes through that. Gonna have to look into it

87dtna

Sounds like you are just changing core clock, not core voltage.

At the bottom of afterburner, click on the settings button. Then make sure that unlock voltage control in checked and voltage monitoring.

I think stock voltage is around 1.175v, not really sure. But it will show like 1175. Core voltage should be the top bar for adjustment.

Your 6950 is apparently just not a great clocker when unlocked, those unlocked shaders aren't as stable so you need more voltage.

Last edited:

sef24

Sounds like you are just changing core clock, not core voltage.

At the bottom of afterburner, click on the settings button. Then make sure that unlock voltage control in checked and voltage monitoring.

I think stock voltage is around 1.175v, not really sure. But it will show like 1175. Core voltage should be the top bar for adjustment.

Your 6950 is apparently just not a great clocker when unlocked, those unlocked shaders aren't as stable so you need more voltage.

Thanks, pretty new to overclocking so im overcautious a bit when I test.
I ran furmark and my 2nd gpu stayed pretty cool, mainly tested my 1st gpu and at about 5 minutes of running it it jumped up to 94C.

No game will put that much pressure on the GPU, but I am curious if that temp/length of test would be ok in terms of regular play?

edit: this is at 900/1250 @ 1175 voltage

edit2: stock voltage of a 6950 is @ 1100, 6970 is at 1175, my unlocked cards changed the shaders only, and not the memory/core/voltage.
Ill mess around with this more, if I dont get much of a difference with a 900core clock, ill switch the bios (dual bios cards) and see how an overclock does with 1408 sharders OC'd

Last edited:

87dtna

Always manually set fan speed to 100% while benching.

20 minute test of furmark, I really wouldn't want to see over 80c with the fans at 100%.

Subby

My Score

I ran 3dMark03 where it covered the CPU/Graphics/Fill Rate etc tests and I got a mark of: 48355

Is that "Pretty good"/"Average"/"Bad"

Of course there are many ways to look at it e.g. Gaming sense, video editing etc - Just give me a rough, rounded up/down small definition...

(One thing "Technalists" (if there is such a word) love to do is to derive more confusion out of a confusing/pending request/question or an agenda).

My specs are: i7 2600, HD 5770, 1.5TB, Win 7, H67 Chipset

Oh and, go easy on me.

Subby~

87dtna

I don't really bench 03', why don't you just bench 06' and let us know what you get?

What is your CPU's clockspeed at?

Subby

I'm on it!

I'll post tomorrow with my score.

The CPU is a i7 Sandy Bridge 2600 running @ 3.4GHz Stock (Turbo Boost goes up to 3.8GHz, I think)

Subby

17579 3DMarks

That was using 3DMark06 (But it said that my graphics driver was not suitable even though I downloaded the latest catalyst and driver for my 5770...lol...Silly website).

Subby~

Last edited:

Laquer Head

I'm comfortably over 13,000 now, trying to get those extra 24 marks to break 14,000--

Got cpu to hit over 3GHz stable...and running on full 16GB ram now!!

Last edited:

87dtna

Try lowering the multiplier on the CPU and raising the base clock so you can get higher North bridge speed. Even if you can only get the same overclock on the CPU the higher NB speed should put you over the edge.

Windows XP really helps as well if you feel like changing an OS. I've had it make a 500 point difference.

Also, 06' is very clockspeed oriented, can you shut down hyper threading and add more clockspeed? If you can get ~200 mhz more clockspeed without HT it will be worth it. Plus temps will be cooler as well without HT.

87dtna

If you can get 167 X 20 (3.34ghz) with no HT, that'll put your ram to 1600 where it should be and and put the north bridge speed to 2500. Should be a huge improvement. The CPU score may go down ever so slightly (not much if at all, and actually it will go up if you install XP) but the SM2 and SM3 scores should be quite a bit improved.

Ram amount has no affect...and actually if you are populating 4 slots that will hurt your ability to overclock the CPU because the memory controller is stressed. Cut down to 2 sticks. Even 2gb of ram is sufficient with 06', 16gb doesn't net you any gains.

Laquer Head

Finally broke 14,000 and I cant push it further without crashing now!

3DMark0614K.jpg

87dtna

How'd you do that? I don't see any differences from the 13k run...? You're still in win7, still same CPU clockspeed, and GPU clocks are the same....?