*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

spirit

Staff member
You shoot too much B&W Vista. It's good for some situations, but it doesn't always fit everything,

I know, but the colour sometimes comes out a bit under-saturated. :(

Here's a colour shot of the car.

DSCF5908.jpg

Ramodkk

VIP Member
;) Yeah but I don't really like to edit my photos all that much. I try to avoid editing them if I can. I do sometimes increase the saturation using Ps though.

It's good to have that mentality, and some photographers really do a great job with it. But as a photographer, editing your photos is not a bad thing to do, to the contrary, it means you know what to mess with and how to edit those parameters to make the picture look a bit better without making it look like a little glittery-school-girl facebook profile pic.

Quality of unedited photos varies A LOT depending on the type of camera, so don't be scared or feel like you're "cheating" by editing your pictures. The word "editing" nowadays has gotten so many negative meanings. Even just a tiny saturation boost (like you said) to bring up certain aspects of your subject, is an edit.

Well executed edits will make awesome pictures look even more awesome. But again, it's a good thing that you don't like to edit them at all, it's almost like setting yourself up with a challenge with every shot you take; to make it as cool-looking, without adding or removing anything from it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
When I edit my photos, the only thing I change are things like brightness, contrast, saturation, clarity, etc., as well as pimple removal. Nothing major.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
It's good to have that mentality, and some photographers really do a great job with it. But as a photographer, editing your photos is not a bad thing to do, to the contrary, it means you know what to mess with and how to edit those parameters to make the picture look a bit better without making it look like a little glittery-school-girl facebook profile pic.

Quality of unedited photos varies A LOT depending on the type of camera, so don't be scared or feel like you're "cheating" by editing your pictures. The word "editing" nowadays has gotten so many negative meanings. Even just a tiny saturation boost (like you said) to bring up certain aspects of your subject, is an edit.

Well executed edits will make awesome pictures look even more awesome. But again, it's a good thing that you don't like to edit them at all, it's almost like setting yourself up with a challenge every picture; to make it as cool-looking, without adding or removing anything from it.
I see exactly where you're coming from. :) Here is a 'before and after' shot I did. I took the photo and then I bumped up the saturation a little.

Before saturation boost:
DSCF1722.jpg

After saturation boost:
DSCF1722modified.jpg

So the photo does look a lot better. :)

I guess I'll have to edit some of them to make them look good. I do like B&W photos, but that's the main reason why I shoot in B&W - because the saturation on the camera isn't the best. In lots of light it's fine, but in low light it's not so good.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
When I edit my photos, the only thing I change are things like brightness, contrast, saturation, clarity, etc., as well as pimple removal. Nothing major.

Exactly, just small things that won't do anything but make the picture more pleasing to the eye without compromising the photo pureness per se.

Last edited by a moderator:

spirit

Staff member
Exactly, just small things that won't do anything but make the picture more pleasing to the eye without compromising the photo pureness per se.

I think I'll start doing what you and Travis do then if my colour shots don't come out all that great. Sometimes I get some great colour shots (take a look through this thread), but other times they come out a bit dull. Since I've stopped using automatic/pre-loaded settings and I've started to use manual settings, I've been getting much better photos overall. :)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Good! Just wondering, do you make your photos B&W with software? Or do you take them like that with the camera?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Good! Just wondering, do you make your photos B&W with software? Or do you take them like that with the camera?

I personally tend to do it after the fact. Don't do it much with the camera. Just too much of a hassle to change it.

spirit

Staff member

I take them in B&W with the camera. All I have to do change it from colour to B&W is press a button and then just choose what colour settings I want. Takes all of a few seconds.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Oh I see. You should try to take them in color all the time, even if you plan on taking a B&W shot. It doesn't hurt to take it in color just in case you like it once it's on the computer screen or after a few edits. You can always "unsaturate" it with photo editing software.

Just a tip!

spirit

Staff member
Oh I see. You should try to take them in color all the time, even if you plan on taking a B&W shot. It doesn't hurt to take it in color just in case you like it once it's on the computer screen or after a few edits. You can always "unsaturate" it with photo editing software.

Just a tip!

Thanks for the tip. :)

Just wondering, if I wanted to take B&W shots what would be the best way to do it? Which way would give me the best photo? Would using the B&W mode on the camera or using tools within Photoshop to make the image B&W give me a better shot?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Thanks for the tip. :)

Just wondering, if I wanted to take B&W shots what would be the best way to do it? Which way would give me the best photo? Would using the B&W mode on the camera or using tools within Photoshop to make the image B&W give me a better shot?

I'd change the saturation to B&W with photoshop after the fact. Just make a mental note of which one(s) you want in monochrome. That way if you want that picture in color, it's already in color and you don't regret not getting a color shot :D

spirit

Staff member
I'd change the saturation to B&W with photoshop after the fact. Just make a mental note of which one(s) you want in monochrome. That way if you want that picture in color, it's already in color and you don't regret not getting a color shot :D

Ok thanks. :) Will start doing that. I went out this morning actually and actually took all the photos in colour for once. ;)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Very nice picture! You caught lots of detail in the center, you can even see the texture of the flower pistil. Just one thing, you might have over-saturated it a tiny bit; the intense blue caused some minor detail loss on the petals.

But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

spirit

Staff member
Very nice picture! You caught lots of detail in the center, you can even see the texture of the flower pistil. Just one thing, you might have over-saturated it a tiny bit; the intense blue caused some minor detail loss on the petals.

But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks! :) I didn't actually edit this one, this is the original shot copied straight off the camera. I agree with the over saturation, I reckon using a higher shutter speed to allow less light in would have given me a better overall photo. I use manual settings on my S4000 by the way - automatic modes don't work great.