*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

Geoff

VIP Member
Nice, man! How long was the exposure?
Looks like maybe 30-90 seconds?

I believe mine was around 90-120 seconds.

i-sPddCtT-XL.jpg

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Thanks guys, the sky was clear and the moon was very bright right above so it was only 5 seconds. I had never done it before, was experimenting. Will definitely keep an eye on obstructions next time! :D

Kornowski

VIP Member
I know I posted a few fairly recently, but I just uploaded them to FlickR, so here's a few different ones. Much better than the shitty Facebook quality.

11295848434_95b2e45277_b.jpg

11296290673_6a82f69448_b.jpg

11296155283_0349d50006_b.jpg

11296015143_854750b2bf_b.jpg

G80FTW

So much scraping.... :eek:

Just so everyone knows that was probably close to a couple hundred pounds worth of ice covering my car. It was the kind of cold that my defroster actually made things worse because it hardened the ice covering the exterior defrost vents because the air coming out of the defroster cooled almost instantly.

Due to the unique way Mercedes designed the wiper on the W202 (not my picture):

If you can see there is about a half inch or so gap between the plastic cover for the wiper motor and the windscreen. Somehow, ice got packed all inside there. And the defroster only made sure that it stayed there. I had to take it apart to break all the ice out from the wiper motor itself. Oh what a day....

Jamebonds1

So much scraping.... :eek:

Just so everyone knows that was probably close to a couple hundred pounds worth of ice covering my car. It was the kind of cold that my defroster actually made things worse because it hardened the ice covering the exterior defrost vents because the air coming out of the defroster cooled almost instantly.

Due to the unique way Mercedes designed the wiper on the W202 (not my picture):

If you can see there is about a half inch or so gap between the plastic cover for the wiper motor and the windscreen. Somehow, ice got packed all inside there. And the defroster only made sure that it stayed there. I had to take it apart to break all the ice out from the wiper motor itself. Oh what a day....

As experienced with truck. Always clean snow off daily before it is sunlight day. Sunlight can melt snow and make ice. Ice are very cold than snow. It can kill gear, destory plastic, and damage paint. Plastic are on wiper and handle.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That's what car covers are for ;)

Jason, fantastic shots! We don't have cool marketplaces like that here in the US :(

G80FTW

As experienced with truck. Always clean snow off daily before it is sunlight day. Sunlight can melt snow and make ice. Ice are very cold than snow. It can kill gear, destory plastic, and damage paint. Plastic are on wiper and handle.

I dont think the ice will damage anything....

But, we had freezing rain a few days before so thats where the ice came from. It just froze at it was coming down. And I wasnt taking my car out all weekend so I waited until monday to clean the ice off. I did clean the snow off and shovel it right after it snowed though expecting more. But now its supposed to be 50F this weekend and sunny so probably wont see snow until next week ;)

The only problem I have with my car being covered in ice is just that. Iv never had my car completely encased in ice and as cold as it was I was afraid that if I tried to break the ice off it would actually break my windows. Since the inside of my car was warm and the outside was 0 having drastic temperatures on both sides with me chipping away at it I didnt know what else to do. But it all worked out no windows busted.

That's what car covers are for ;)

Your not talking about the cloth ones are you? That would have only been worse I would think...having a giant ice cloth over my car weighing a couple hundred pounds..

But anyway, I do have a garage but sadly there is only room for one car in it right now and thats my CL600. No chance Im gonna let my CL600 out to play in the snow :)

Even though it would be wiser to drive the 600 since its got full coverage for twice what I paid for the car if I total it Id be rich!

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Thanks. I do as well. I took a few different shots before settling on this one. All I did was cool the white balance and increase the contrast.

Looks good - what software do you use to process your RAW files? I usually add split toning to my photos in Lightroom to make the colours and tones look a bit more interesting (you can use the Variations tool in Photoshop to get the same kind of effect).

One thing I would do though is perhaps and try and crop it a bit to cut the houses out. Not sure how well it'd work though.

spirit

Staff member
Jason, fantastic shots! We don't have cool marketplaces like that here in the US :(
Only just seen this. Thanks Travis! :)

Those shots were taken almost a year ago (several days after I got the D3200, which I've owned for a year tomorrow!) but I reprocessed them last month. My Lightroom skills have improved since I took those photos.
Luckily I keep all of my RAW files (yes, all 16,000 or so of them - that's how many shots I've taken in a year) so I can easily go and reprocess my older photos. :)

Last edited:

G80FTW

Looks good - what software do you use to process your RAW files? I usually add split toning to my photos in Lightroom to make the colours and tones look a bit more interesting (you can use the Variations tool in Photoshop to get the same kind of effect).

One thing I would do though is perhaps and try and crop it a bit to cut the houses out. Not sure how well it'd work though.

I use Photoshop CS6. I havent really tried the variations tool. I do do alot of tone and level editing though when I get really deep into a photo :D

spirit

Staff member
I use Photoshop CS6. I havent really tried the variations tool. I do do alot of tone and level editing though when I get really deep into a photo :D

Yeah try the variations tool and add some nice tones to your pictures. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you high?