*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

spirit

Staff member
I've used 447GB since 2010.

I've worked out that actually it comes to approximately 400GB for 2013.

2012 was about 30GB for the main folder I store them in, plus any extra folders not in the main folder, so maybe about 40-50GB or so.

This is the difference between having a bridge camera and using only JPEGs which are maybe 10MB at the absolute largest (but on average maybe 5MB or so) and having a D-SLR with RAWs about 20MB each and JPEGs about 15-20MB each too.

And taking a lot more photos. ;)

G80FTW

I've worked out that actually it comes to approximately 400GB for 2013.

2012 was about 30GB for the main folder I store them in, plus any extra folders not in the main folder, so maybe about 40-50GB or so.

This is the difference between having a bridge camera and using only JPEGs which are maybe 10MB at the absolute largest (but on average maybe 5MB or so) and having a D-SLR with RAWs about 20MB each and JPEGs about 15-20MB each too.

And taking a lot more photos. ;)

My D3100s 14mp only renders me about 12mb raw file sizes on average. Never seen larger than 15mb.

Of course, I never save my raw files after I process them. If you can see my storage in my sig, you will notice I really dont have the space for it :) I have MAYBE 75GB free on my system total. I constantly have to keep cleaning things off my drives for space. Too lazy to upgrade my storage.

And actually, my raw files and jpegs come out the same size with the same photo. Wonder why your raw files are larger?

G80FTW

Probably be detuned a fair bit for reliability though, also depending on the region it's from it could have different air/fuel maps for lower quality fuel.

Right. You have to remember, this was 1997. Back then, this car was built to compete with the bentley and rolls royce of the era. None of which were really "sports" cars. They are pure luxury cars.

And Id like to think that it was "detuned" for reliability since its Mercedes but I think thats probably not the case. I think that when Mercedes originally introduced this engine power was not their main goal to begin with. The 6.0L V12 Mercedes brought to the table seems to have been purposefully built to be quiet and smooth. The kind of smooth that a V6 or V8 could not have offered. It is still to this day considered one of the smoothest engines made.

That said, a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds in a car that weighs over 5,000 lbs in 1997 was a feat of its own really. So for its era, this was a very powerful car. Lets not forget the immense torque this car has.... its really insane. Id imagine if I chained it up to my house I could relocate my house to a more desirable location with ease :)

Last edited:

G80FTW

My RAW's vary in size and can be as small as 16MB or go as high as 35MB.

Yea but Im talking about the RAW files being larger than the JPEG files. They should be identical in size right? Mine are. They might differ by a few kb but they are pretty much the same.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yea but Im talking about the RAW files being larger than the JPEG files. They should be identical in size right? Mine are. They might differ by a few kb but they are pretty much the same.

I don't know. I've never shot JPEG with my camera. Though looking through my conversions, the JPEG's are about half of the RAW. JPEG's are normally much smaller than RAW because it compresses the photo and strips a lot of data out, whereas RAW captures everything and saves everything. That's why you can take a 4GB card and shoot far more JPEG's than RAW's.

G80FTW

I don't know. I've never shot JPEG with my camera. Though looking through my conversions, the JPEG's are about half of the RAW. JPEG's are normally much smaller than RAW because it compresses the photo and strips a lot of data out, whereas RAW captures everything and saves everything. That's why you can take a 4GB card and shoot far more JPEG's than RAW's.

Hmm. Never had them differ that much in size on my camera...

But anyway, been reading alot about shooting JPG versus RAW. Its an interesting read:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Its a bit dated, and this guy is obviously putting down RAW as much as he possibly can praising JPG but I think he does have a few good points.

While I do like processing my images, perhaps I should start learning to get perfect shots in JPG and see how I like it. When it warms up this spring I will do just that. As from what he is saying, letting the camera process the image could result in slightly better image quality. Dont know what truth there is to that, I have not really paid attention to the few JPGs I have shot with this camera.

EDIT: I just shot both RAW and JPG and yes they are half the size. I guess I never noticed.

The RAW file, with no editing done at all:

The JPG that the camera gave me also with no editing:

Unless I got the 2 mixed up, after resizing the JPG from the camera is 200kb larger.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member

RAW is usually always a bit bigger than JPEG. Even once the JPEG has been processed.

They might be the same size for your D3100 which has a 14 MP sensor, but for my D3200 with a 24 MP sensor, the RAWs still end up a little larger.

My JPEGs are typically between 15-20MB. My RAWs are typically 20-25MB.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can see the difference in your pictures, that the lighting was preserved in the RAW photo, whereas the JPEG tried to capture more of the light.

G80FTW

You can see the difference in your pictures, that the lighting was preserved in the RAW photo, whereas the JPEG tried to capture more of the light.

Yea. In that link i posted it said that shadows have higher quality in jpgs than raws. Im not sure if thats true, but going off those 2 pictures id prefer raw. Ill do more playing around when it warms up. The question is can my camera process the images with a higher quality than photoshop.

Geoff

VIP Member

RAW is always bigger. RAW files are uncompressed, while JPG uses compression. Mine are typically twice the size of the JPG equivalents.

G80FTW

RAW is always bigger. RAW files are uncompressed, while JPG uses compression. Mine are typically twice the size of the JPG equivalents.

Yea I got that now haha. I dont know what I was looking at before, perhaps I had my camera setup weird but when I first started shooting I could have swore both files were of identical size. But they arent now.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yea I got that now haha. I dont know what I was looking at before, perhaps I had my camera setup weird but when I first started shooting I could have swore both files were of identical size. But they arent now.
You should always shoot in RAW though, it allows much greater flexibility to edit the photo in post.