Official - Unigine Valley Benchmark Ranking thread

Darren

Staff member
I'm surprised the 760 score is almost as good as mine.

C3yfJ3Z.png

Darren

Staff member
I wouldn't think the 4GB of RAM would make a difference considering the 7970 had 3GB.

Processor probably has a lot to do with it though.

spirit

Staff member
Oh yeah I forgot the 7970s had 3GB - been a while since I last looked at them even though you have GPU-Z open in your screenshot but I glossed over that. :p

As it turns out, the 7970 isn't a whole lot quicker than a GTX 760 anyway and don't forget that my GTX 760 is factory overclocked too: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1032?vs=1038 that's a regular 7970 - not the GHz Edition.

I'm not too sure how accurate this benchmark is anyway and I think the CPU does play an important part in this benchmark.

spirit

Staff member
Gotta be down to my CPU or possibly extra RAM then if this benchmark is 64-bit. Your card is clearly faster than mine and you should be beating me by more than about 1fps lol. :p

today i did my self a nice present i bought the msi gtx 970 gaming.
i did a small overclock, from 1114 on the core to 1254mhz on the core, not bad i think.

lemon07r

This is the overclock I use for all my games, rock solid and never over 56'C, have only seen it peak at 60'c in stress testing. Was a good gift to my self xD.
SddCLXI.png

New driver and settings tweak.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Gotta be down to my CPU or possibly extra RAM then if this benchmark is 64-bit. Your card is clearly faster than mine and you should be beating me by more than about 1fps lol. :p

Just ran it again and still got about the same thing. And this is a different 7970 I might add. :p

Results were essentially the same. I did notice my CPU usage was only at about 20 percent according to Windows and was only using 4 cores. I don't even know if the benchmark can make use of 8. Wonder if an overclock of my CPU would make much difference. Probably not. Also this 7970 runs almost 10 degrees cooler under load it seems like. Just barely getting to 60 degrees.

lemon07r

Just ran it again and still got about the same thing. And this is a different 7970 I might add. :p

Results were essentially the same. I did notice my CPU usage was only at about 20 percent according to Windows and was only using 4 cores. I don't even know if the benchmark can make use of 8. Wonder if an overclock of my CPU would make much difference. Probably not. Also this 7970 runs almost 10 degrees cooler under load it seems like. Just barely getting to 60 degrees.

Well turbobooster scored pretty damn close to me and i had a much heavier overclock then him. My guess is that it might have been because his cpu and ram are alot better then mine and might of made a few fps difference (not enough to warrant me a reason to have pay a couple hundred extra to get specs like his D:, i cut corners well i think xD).

C4C

Thought I'd bump this thread... I'm going for a higher clock on my 280X. It's currently clocked 80MHz above the "Overclock" settings and the memory is set at stock. The Notepad is wrong. I had it under-clocked before raising power.

dfc0a39f82426292340e1408625ad188.png

Darren

Staff member
Care to make it interesting? See which of us can get a better score. :p Mine is clocked at the GHz Edition speeds.

C4C

Care to make it interesting? See which of us can get a better score. :p Mine is clocked at the GHz Edition speeds.

Sure haha.. I think I reached the point of diminishing returns though.. 1150/1520 and I was only getting a score of 1443 with max 40FPS, average 28.

Darren

Staff member
I've got a better CPU than you though, which might help a little. I really should overclock it to 8350 speeds. I probably will for GTA V.

C4C

Yeah I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice with Kaveri because it's going to end up the minimum specs for games... Checked out Dying Light and I can't play that.. GTA V might be bearable.. I know it's really just a bottleneck.. The 280X could do much better with a higher-end CPU.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I really hate to say it but I see the whole FM2 platform as useless for anything except a REALLY budget minded system. You would have been better off with an i3.

I did the same thing though, wish I'd gotten an Intel board and chip back when I first built this. I am impressed that the board I bought 3.5 years ago is still "current" since it's an AM3+ board. Also my 8320 is no slouch, but I do kinda wish I had room to go up from this without needing a new board. I MIGHT see about getting an Intel setup around Christmas next year but it really all depends on my financials.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I really hate to say it but I see the whole FM2 platform as useless for anything except a REALLY budget minded system. You would have been better off with an i3.

I did the same thing though, wish I'd gotten an Intel board and chip back when I first built this. I am impressed that the board I bought 3.5 years ago is still "current" since it's an AM3+ board. Also my 8320 is no slouch, but I do kinda wish I had room to go up from this without needing a new board. I MIGHT see about getting an Intel setup around Christmas next year but it really all depends on my financials.

Gonna say it... got my i5 2500K 3 years ago (even then it was a year old CPU) - still absolutely perfect for my needs and still fast! No regrets! ;)

I have to agree about FM2. FM2 setup with a 280X? Obvious CPU bottleneck there.

Darren

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I love my 8320 and it's really as much power as I need for what I do. I may be singing a different tune come GTA V launch though. I guess I'll find out.

Edit: I should run this on my laptop while I'm at home this weekend. Curious how my 740M stacks up. :p

Last edited: