*Official * Windows 7 Thread

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since some of us have been using 7 for a bit, doesn't it just make you think that all Microsoft have really done is got Vista....fix what they should have fixed in it...give it a fancy new desktop and a new name?

I mean for example we had Windows 2000 which itself was a fantastic reliable workhorse and which Xp was based off so Xp was a great os too.

but they're basing Windows 7 off of Vista which was a failure at launch and is still an irritant to many of us today.

I do agree that 7 runs allot better than Vista but I think Microsoft are just screwing us all over again in terms of making us buy 7 instead of giving those of us who purchased screw-up vista an update to Windows 7 for free!

I suppose i will have people disagree with what i sad above but im a person who says what i think or should i say in this case "Types" what i think :D :good:

/\E

I put 7 on my laptop again just now and it resulted in me downloading and burning Ubuntu 64-bit.

I really can't use it, I don't like the new taskbar, icons! Are you kidding me? Okay, just for argument's sake, what happens if I run an app that doesn't have an icon or am debugging several apps with no icons? Do I have to click through each one? Leave the text alone Microsoft, most computers users are literate.

Action Center? What kind of stupid name is that(for Microsoft)? I figured it would have been "Computer Maintenance Control Terminal."

Microsoft needs to stop trying to rub off a Mac UI and start taking pointers from Linux. Linux is going to eat their lunch if they don't watch out. And another rant I have about Microsoft, trying to sell something new and "improved" every time one operating system settles. Microsoft doesn't make their money from ideas, engineering, or looks. They make it by selling software...

Last edited:

gamerman4

Windows 98 = updated Win95
Windows XP = updated 2000
Windows 7 = updated Vista

Windows 7 is definitely better and I applaud MS for going for performance rather than throw in a ton of features, which is why Vista had such a big footprint, lot of new features (or just re-made features) and not enough quality control. The Superbar is well worth it IMO if for that feature alone.

speedyink

VIP Member
but they're basing Windows 7 off of Vista which was a failure at launch and is still an irritant to many of us today.

Thats not fair, a lot of the improvements are under the hood in Vista. Yes, it used a lot of resources, but it also added a lot of technical improvements that average joe doesn't use. It irritates people cause it's different. They're gonna bitch no matter what, usually about stupid things that are user error more than anything. I work with the public..I see what goes down.

I put 7 on my laptop again just now and it resulted in me downloading and burning Ubuntu 64-bit.

I really can't use it, I don't like the new taskbar, icons! Are you kidding me? Okay, just for argument's sake, what happens if I run an app that doesn't have an icon or am debugging several apps with no icons? Do I have to click through each one? Leave the text alone Microsoft, most computers users are literate.

Way to not customize it at all. I think it's a stupid default option but it takes few clicks to get it the way you want it. It's not like Ubuntu comes pre-done the way you want it either.

/\E

Way to not customize it at all. I think it's a stupid default option but it takes few clicks to get it the way you want it. It's not like Ubuntu comes pre-done the way you want it either.

If I had to customize everything(on a conscious level), I would be extremely unhappy. Right, I am just saying that it's stupid to default... Ubuntu doesn't come made to my liking but at least I can pick it up, open the Package Manager, find my IDE or Wine to start plugging away. I can get done what I need with little frustration. But look at it from this perspective, a nonprofit organization is beating a company whose CEO has a net worth of $58 billion. Really all I am saying is that they need to step it up and quit relying on their market share so they can exist. Making stupid shiny icons doesn't impress me, being able to see what is going on in a matter of seconds impresses me, it's all about speed, simplicity, and usability not looks. Looks may be a plus but it's not the top priority.

And I know your thinking "Oh, but you're a Mac user heh." At least Apple can do it with a good speed:interface ratio, their visual effects don't take all the CPU cycles.

Last edited:

epidemik

Im really not having any issues with 7. I've been running it since it came out and other than the occasional hickup, it tends to work nicely. Games have been working fine so far and everything.

That isnt to say I'd replace old faithful XP with it...but its good enough that its not worth the hassle of reinstalling XP (until i have a major issue with 7)

speedyink

VIP Member
If I had to customize everything(on a conscious level), I would be extremely unhappy. Right, I am just saying that it's stupid to default... Ubuntu doesn't come made to my liking but at least I can pick it up, open the Package Manager, find my IDE or Wine to start plugging away. I can get done what I need with little frustration. But look at it from this perspective, a nonprofit organization is beating a company whose CEO has a net worth of $58 billion. Really all I am saying is that they need to step it up and quit relying on their market share so they can exist. Making stupid shiny icons doesn't impress me, being able to see what is going on in a matter of seconds impresses me, it's all about speed, simplicity, and usability not looks. Looks may be a plus but it's not the top priority.

And I know your thinking "Oh, but you're a Mac user heh." At least Apple can do it with a good speed:interface ratio, their visual effects don't take all the CPU cycles.

I've used macs (more than you think), and to be honest the speed isn't all that much greater. At least not compared with windows 7.

Looking at your specs i dont think you need to have any worry about cpu cycles. Windows 7 even runs speedy on my EEE PC.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
:rolleyes: Still no mentions of how much the theyre going to charge for a copy windows 7 :cool:

why wont microsoft tell us yet how much its going to be? surely they have a figure in mind? usualy a big one.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
:rolleyes: Still no mentions of how much the theyre going to charge for a copy windows 7 :cool:

why wont microsoft tell us yet how much its going to be? surely they have a figure in mind? usualy a big one.

It would be cool if they give beta testers a discount to upgrade.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be cool if they give beta testers a discount to upgrade.

Yeah i agree,especialy since we are helping them out finding bugs,problems etc.

But this is microsoft were talking about,Its all about the money not its customers.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i agree,especialy since we are helping them out finding bugs,problems etc.

But this is microsoft were talking about,Its all about the money not its customers.

Yup. Many technology writers are referring to Vista as a cash grab. Basically, release an unfinished OS, shove it down our throats, make a ton of money, then quickly release a "better" version...then make more money. I dunno. I'll be unhappy if they charge Vista prices, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Invisible Man

Did you all enroll or got this email from windows 7 beta team?

Did you all enroll or got this email from windows 7 beta team?

Dear Beta Participant:

Hello again from the Windows® 7 Beta team. Be sure to check out the list of resources at the right. In particular, you might enjoy the new Windows Live QnA community for Windows 7.

If you've installed the Beta and gotten familiar with the basics, here are a couple things to try:

- HomeGroup: See how it's easier to connect to other computers, your home printer, or other devices over your wireless home network. To use HomeGroup, you'll need to have at least two PCs running Windows 7. If you set up a second PC, don't worry about getting another product key. You can use the key you got for your Beta on up to five PCs.
- DeviceStage: Device Stage is a new way to work with cameras, printers, phones, and other products. When you connect a Device Stage-compatible product, you'll see a picture of the device and a list of things you can do with it right on one screen. Here's a list of products that take advantage of Device Stage. We update the list regularly, so check back if you're curious about a specific product.

Looking for other things to try? Browse through the What's New page.

Touch the future. Join the Windows Feedback Program so we can learn more about how you use Windows every day. We'll use your feedback to design upcoming versions of Windows. If you send us automated feedback for at least three months and participate in surveys, you will receive a free version of Windows Vista or Office Ultimate 2007. To sign up, please send email to [email protected] with the subject line: "Request to sign up for Windows Feedback Program on Windows 7." We'll send you a registration link. Enrollment is limited to the first 500 participants.

Stay informed

You've got lots of ways to learn about Windows 7 and get answers to your questions. Take a look at the upper right corner of this mail for links to blogs and a QnA site. Those are great for specific and one-to-one discussion. One other thing you might want to do is subscribe to the Exploring Windows Newsletter. It's a monthly e-mail with general Windows news, how-to tips, special offers, and download suggestions. Think of it as a little light reading after a busy day of testing Windows 7.

Thanks again for helping us finish Windows 7

Sincerely,
The Windows 7 Beta Team

Coz I did and testing since then.

gamerman4

$50 for a Home Premium upgrade? That's decent, I at least hope they keep the full retail under $200. I doubt it will happen, good thing newegg sells OEM disks which are much cheaper.