*Official * Windows 7 Thread

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Any cost estimates?

None that I've seen. Awhile back, I read that M$ was working on a subscription price point, as opposed to selling the full license for a one time fee as they do now. I'm not sure if they'll do this with this version.

speedyink

VIP Member
Cool things I've found so far in Windows 7:

WMP 12: -New, cleaner interface
-Exit button on full screen mode

New Taskbar: -Actually useful in practice (surprised me :p)
-New no notification balloon settings for specific programs
-Access wireless networks within taskbar

New personalize menu, as with seperate display settings (from within right click desktop)

Libraries; Like virtual folders, but actually used. This is very useful as well

IE8 seems to have more options, though none that I would use(finds websites you might like??)

Shake thing is cool, though about as useful as 3d flip (ok, a bit more useful than 3d flip :p)

Sensitive edges (forgot the actual name, lol). The left and right aren't all that useful for me, though the top action (maximize window) is actually very useful in practice

NO MORE DOWNLOADING VIDEO CODECS!!!!

Thats all I can think of for now..

Edit: Battery life!!

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Sounds like a few new features, would you pay for it if you already had Vista though?

Does it have DX10.1 or DX11?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Cool things I've found so far in Windows 7:

WMP 12: -New, cleaner interface
-Exit button on full screen mode

I have hated WMP since the beginning, I doubt this will change my mind. Does it actually support every format out of the box yet? If not I will stick with VLC.

New Taskbar: -Actually useful in practice (surprised me :p)
-New no notification balloon settings for specific programs
-Access wireless networks within taskbar

To be honest, for me to consider interface a very good feature it has to be efficient in my mind. I think that interfaces can indeed be a deal breaker with certain technologies. I don't like a start menu and haven't since I discovered docks. I know there are third party docks with Windows, but I don't like putting third party apps like that on my system, to have them be exploited and turned into spyware or malware.

New personalize menu, as with seperate display settings (from within right click desktop)

So, everything can be accessed from a right click menu now?

Libraries; Like virtual folders, but actually used. This is very useful as well

You mean like symbolic links to the actual resources?

IE8 seems to have more options, though none that I would use(finds websites you might like??)

Firefox for the win, sorry IE is not even considered a feature by me any more.
Shake thing is cool, though about as useful as 3d flip (ok, a bit more useful than 3d flip :p)

Again, interface features can be deal breakers if they are done right, what exactly is shake?

Sensitive edges (forgot the actual name, lol). The left and right aren't all that useful for me, though the top action (maximize window) is actually very useful in practice

Sounds like expose' for OS X.

NO MORE DOWNLOADING VIDEO CODECS!!!!

So, WMP does play everything out of the box now?

speedyink

VIP Member
Sounds like a few new features, would you pay for it if you already had Vista though?

Does it have DX10.1 or DX11?

It looks like just directx 10 so far

I have hated WMP since the beginning, I doubt this will change my mind. Does it actually support every format out of the box yet? If not I will stick with VLC.

I have to yet to find something that hasn't played (though so far I've only tried various videos and mp3's)

To be honest, for me to consider interface a very good feature it has to be efficient in my mind. I think that interfaces can indeed be a deal breaker with certain technologies. I don't like a start menu and haven't since I discovered docks. I know there are third party docks with Windows, but I don't like putting third party apps like that on my system, to have them be exploited and turned into spyware or malware.

Well I guess that part is a matter of personal preference, I like the start menu. I don't know how efficient the new taskbar would be for you specifically, but I can gaurantee it would be just as efficient, if not more so than the old taskbar.

So, everything can be accessed from a right click menu now?

This is right click on desktop
rightclick.jpg

You mean like symbolic links to the actual resources?

No, you choose which folders you want to participate in the different categories (music, pictures, etc.) and they will all appear in the libraries, where you can do what you want to them. It's kinda like shortcuts, but instead of links to the files, it shows you the actual files.

Firefox for the win, sorry IE is not even considered a feature by me any more.

I use firefox as well, though I figured it was worth mentioning

Again, interface features can be deal breakers if they are done right, what exactly is shake?

Grab a window and shake it, and all the open windows will minimize, except for the one you just shook. It's actually pretty useful.

Sounds like expose' for OS X.

Nope, not at all. Drag a window to the left and it will resize to the left half of the screen. Same thing for the right.
When you drag to the top, it maximizes the windows. This also works the opposite way, effectively allowing you to drag things out of a maximized state, which is damn useful.

So, WMP does play everything out of the box now?

I don't believe this has anything to do with wmp, but the actual codecs built into windows. wmp just benefits from it I guess. But yeah, so far I have yet to find something that doesn't play. Granted I need to test this further.

EDIT: Tested with MPEG-4 files now, they work just fine. flac however does not play, though I'm not too surprised.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
More things:

Album art shows on individual mp3 file icons (It did this on Vista too, but for some reason it would only show up on a couple of my files.)

Loading bars for copying etc. show in the taskbar (I digg this one)

Permanent show desktop button on the right end of the taskbar(no need for the quick launch button anymore, yes!)

WMP controls built into the taskbar preview

How the search in the start menu now automatically fills up the start menu when you start typing. I guess this would be a hit more miss with different people. I like it, I found the Vista one crowded for longer file names

For being in pre-beta state, it's incredibly stable. Haven't had any crashes or errors yet. Applications install just fine so far (even my modified ati drivers worked just fine!)

I'm loving wmp 12. Compact design for now playing mode, light on ram usage, and just generally how it works. Nothing groundbreaking, but intuitive, easy, and even in it's state works quite well.

Many more options in "All control panel items" view than Vista had.

In 'Computer' removable disks now have the free space bar that was reserved for hard drives and CD's in Vista.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The latest unofficial information I got was that prebuilds will see a new boot partition making life easier if Windows 7 needs to be reinstalled or you what to run different versions or another OS along with the next version. But everything at this point is still in the prebeta stages.

The SP2 beta for Vista meanwhile is currently being tested since news on that was just seen last week. That alone will still take some time for the finished version to be released. Likewise nothing is ready for the first beta of 7 at this point. Another look at the prebeta stages is seen at http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne...7_a_sneak_peek_prebeta_reveals_some_surprises

The MS page on 7 requires you sign up to see what the development teams are working on at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

PC eye

banned
As far as prices for the retail packages besides simply being the single disk seen with all previous versions MS included or provided a coupon for the 64bit version of the same edition when seeing the $399.99 tag for Ultimate 32bit for example. I think everybody was a little stunned when first seeing those prices without a full explaination being widely known.

On that I had originally thought the coupon was a promotion for 64bit until someone pointed out seeing both included. The original retail price many years back for 98SE was $180 then for a single disk when looking back showing they didn't actually go up much on prices when you only average that out to a little over $20 in all the years inbetween.

Windows 7 won't see any finalized full retail or OEM version until 2010. The most to expect in the next year is like what was seen during the fall of 2007 with the beta releases of Vista(RC1, RC2) since the developers are still in the early prebeta stages and will be for some time.

newguy5

did they even give vista 2 years? that's nuts. they shoulda never come out with that crap OS. this whole time i've had xp and never even considered the switch. windows 7 looks like it might be solid, though.

PC eye

banned
They gave Vista far more then 2yrs. there! XP came out fast following the ME flop of 2000 back in 2001 with a fast service pack(SP1) seen in 2002 due to rapid change in hard drive capacities being realized. The 137gb barrier for XP without SP 1, 2, or 3 on is one item. Vista or "Longhorn" kept seeing one supposed delay after another taking 6yrs. to come out.

As far as 7 as well as any other version when first out who has drivers or apps that will run? The common complaint about upgrading from one version to the next has always been rebuying the softwares all over again for each version. Games have fared a little better however with more seeing use on different versions unless specifically written for one alone there.

speedyink

VIP Member
did they even give vista 2 years? that's nuts. they shoulda never come out with that crap OS. this whole time i've had xp and never even considered the switch. windows 7 looks like it might be solid, though.

If you hate Vista still, you might as well not even look at windows 7

mac550

any idea when in 2010? Im building a new computer in the last quarter of '09... lol. I was hoping I could put Windows 7 in.

lol you'll be lucky, it wont be out in 2010, microsoft never release there OS's on time, 2012 at the earliest.

PC eye

banned
any idea when in 2010? Im building a new computer in the last quarter of '09... lol. I was hoping I could put Windows 7 in.

None at this point. The next version is still only in the early stages at this time with primarily only main Vista elements present until the final preparation is reached for the first beta stage. Any unconfirmed by Microsoft information at this time is still wild guesing and not any official MS release.

lol you'll be lucky, it wont be out in 2010, microsoft never release there OS's on time, 2012 at the earliest.

Considering Long Horn's countless delays... :p it could turn out to be another 6yrs. who knows! I'm sure it will be sooner then that however since MS realizes the competition being seen now with Linux, Mac, and SUN Microsystems own OS Solaris, and others.