Oil Aquarium w/ Xbox

ScottALot

I've seen those videos where people submerge an entire computer (except for the OD and HDD) in a baby oil filled aquarium for better cooling and/or lack of noise. Can this be done with an Xbox 360?

Bacon

I've seen those videos where people submerge an entire computer (except for the OD and HDD) in a baby oil filled aquarium for better cooling and/or lack of noise. Can this be done with an Xbox 360?

Yes, granted the CD drive and Hard Drive shouldn't be in there.

Drenlin

There's quite a few. Just type "aquarium computer" or "mineral oil computer" into youtube.

Cams

I have seen evidence to say quite the opposite. Those oil systems run quite hot most of the time. Once that oil gets warm it stays that way unless you have really strong pump and rad/fan combo. The only way I would ever do an aquarium setup is if I used flourinert from 3m. But it would have to be air tight because that stuff evaporates.

TFT

VIP Member
^:good:
Cooking oil is made for chips(UK) or fries(other odd countries) :p or running your old diesel engined car on, not for sane computer peeps

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

The OP said "Baby Oil", not cooking oil.

Besides, Mineral Oil is what's commonly used for these ridiculous setups.

bomberboysk

I have seen evidence to say quite the opposite. Those oil systems run quite hot most of the time. Once that oil gets warm it stays that way unless you have really strong pump and rad/fan combo. The only way I would ever do an aquarium setup is if I used flourinert from 3m. But it would have to be air tight because that stuff evaporates.
Fluorinert is sweet stuff, but crazy expensive last i checked. You really need something like FC-70 though, because Fluorinert has a super low boiling point.

If anything you would want some very thin oil, thinner than mineral oil even as well as it being clear, and you'd prolly still need an iwaki to move the oil...

The Chad

What would you do then if you ever wanted to remove your xbox from the aquarium. The parts would be covered in oil, and the thin bit of oil on it could act as an insulator.

But I must admit, it would look awesome! Seen some computers where the submerged it in veggie oil (i think). But as said^ it heated up after a while.

ScottALot

Fluorinert is sweet stuff, but crazy expensive last i checked. You really need something like FC-70 though, because Fluorinert has a super low boiling point.

If anything you would want some very thin oil, thinner than mineral oil even as well as it being clear, and you'd prolly still need an iwaki to move the oil...

I thought the exposed surface area of the mineral oil would dissipate heat once the oil and the heat from the hardware were at an equilibrium...

And would you just put the pump randomly in the aquarium?

bomberboysk

I thought the exposed surface area of the mineral oil would dissipate heat once the oil and the heat from the hardware were at an equilibrium...

And would you just put the pump randomly in the aquarium?
No....the pump would go outside the case, attached to tubing inlets and outlets in the case, through a radiator, and back into the case. The oil would continue to get hotter until the xbox 360 overheated and shut down, or until it failed and shut down, as there would not be enough surface area in the case to effectively disipate the heat without a radiator of some sort.

ScottALot

For some reason I feel like you're describing an oil cooled computer that has the same looks as a watercooled computer. Are you talking about a submerged computer like I am?

mineral-oil-computer-submerged017.jpg

Unless that's a pump and radiator on the left, I think we're talking about two different things.

Last edited: