Overclock Questions

Kornowski

VIP Member
I just OC'ed to 2.7Ghz, my temps are fine, 32c idle and 45c load, enough room to carry on, right?

But, OC'ing can't make a game stop responding can it, I mean, Windows was fine, I just had to Ctrl + Alt + Del out of it...

Thanks!

ETSA

Temps seem fine to me. The only time a game was unresponsive for me was when I was overclocking my GPU and temps got to high. Normally if a cpu doesn't like an overclock and depending on your mobo, it just wont start and revert back to default or safe settings.

g4m3rof1337

I overclocked my from stock to 2.8 but I have a CPU cooler.

I also ran a stress test for about an hour, nothing happened.

Good luck! :D

taylormsj

I just OC'ed to 2.7Ghz, my temps are fine, 32c idle and 45c load, enough room to carry on, right?

But, OC'ing can't make a game stop responding can it, I mean, Windows was fine, I just had to Ctrl + Alt + Del out of it...

Thanks!

Dont even stop until youve gotten to 3.2 GHz, mild overclocks dont interest me :p

HEHE, good luck :D

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yeah, keep going. If your getting "not responding" errors, chances are you need to up the voltage. I would Run OCCT (not orthos) for two hours, it stresses harder than orthos in shorter time to determine stability.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Haha! Thanks guys! :D

Yeah, I have a CPU cooler, I'd be kinda screwed without one... :rolleyes:

So, I thought that it would just lock the computer or something, I didn't know that it could stop certain apps from responding?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
XP will most likely give BSOD's i think, Vista will try and not crash.. thats the only thing i can figure :p

Vizy

Haha, so what does that mean? Could the OC effect the game?

Yea, if it does, the OC isnt considred stable <please note that i really had no prior knowledge about this, so i just derived my answer from one of the previous repliers to this thread> :D

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Haha, so what does that mean? Could the OC effect the game?

Yeah, if its unstable, instead of giving a lockup or bsod, windows just ends the program.

Run OCCT for about two hours, that should determine stability, if its not stable up the voltage by .025v

Kornowski

VIP Member
How do you run OCCT?

I've allways thought that it'd give BSODs or lockup, I'll try it with some other games and see what happens...

I'm not really in any rush to raise the voltage :eek:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Hahaha! :p That's awesome, I don't think I could've ever figured it out... :D

Hehe "of death" indeed! :D