p4800-e unable to install on ide drive

Hello all..its been a while since i felt the need to visit this site. i have learned quite a few tricks since my last visit and have built and or saved alot of computers from demise. I find myself stumped on my latest thrift store find. and asus p4800-e which is the only reason i would ever build a p4 again. i am stuck on finding out how to get it to install windows on an ide drive as it gets all the way through the proccess of loading until it finds the hard drive. it keep saying that the bios will not allow it to boot from this device. upon boot it says no device attached to promise controller and bios not installed. i disabled the promise controller and switched the setup from raid to ide mode and that went away and i got exited but still same outcome on install. i do not have a sata hard drive at my disposal so i have not tried the sata ports. all i have is a couple of old 20g and an 80g seagate. i was able to get my hands on a set of 4 corsiar xtreme speed ddr400 1g memory sticks with the cool led strips so i am trying to build a virtual dj pc for my booth as this set up will look sick. if there are any oldschool p4 builders out there who are familiar with this mobo i would love to hear your feedback.

The bios on this thing is very extensive. i got it to recognize my 2 20g hard drives through the fast track control bios but windows wont see them on the install screen. im pretty much done messin with this thing unless someone is familiar with this mobo.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you please verify the model number of the motherboard? There is no such thing as a p4800-e.

p4p800-e deluxe maybe.

Make sure the ide cable going to the hard drive is connected to the blue IDE header just to the left or below the atx power connector. It's possible you have it connected to the raid controller toward the bottom of the board next to the Sata ports.

the board is an asus p4800-e rev. 1.02 which i believe is p4800 extreme..all is connected as should be. when i try to use the primary ide windows recognizes the drives as well as bios but states that bios will not allow boot from this drive. i checked bios and disabled the promise controller and still not allowing install on primary. when i use the fastrak controller the drives are recognized in fastrack bios and array set but on install windows says no devices are found. there is something i am missing in bios because all my connections are fine. this motherboard has some sort of dual bios system to controll raid configurations that i am not familiar with.

StrangleHold

Staff member
First, since this is a IDE drive. Is there any other drive on the IDE cable, if so are the cable select pins set right? When you boot from the Windows DVD does the setup see the drive?

using the primary raid ide connector i have 2 20 gig hard drives both with pins set as CS because it would not work on any other configuration. i am able to set the array using the fastrack control. they show up on boot menu as fstrk array and are shown as functional before dvd rom boots. but windows does not see them for formatting/install. there are also the 2 normal ide slots which i tried to use first but windows would see them and state that they are not bootable. i disabled the promise control as suggested from research with no luck.
Also the mobo is a p4P800-e i was missing a p...sorry.
thanks for the replys.

i am now assuming the mobo is fried because i connected all ide drives and set the configuration to p-ata+s-ata (primary+secondary) and they all showed up on install screen but as i selected them windows froze and they all disappeared and i got no drives found again. i am assuming that the the hdd buss capabilities have been compromised

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery? That is a very old board, so it may be on its way out.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Kinda confused on what your trying to do. Which drive are you trying to install windows on? Just hook it up by itself on the standard IDE port/blue port and see what happens. If it shows up when you boot to the windows DVD at the harddrive setup page, just delete the partition. make a new one and try installing again.

yes . i used the clear cmos jumper pin and removed the battery. i am thinking it is either a bios flash, driver or ide buss issue from the chipset being overheated... it would have been a sweet blast from the past setup for virtual dj system. i really want to use this cool ram so im gonna look for an old 939 or socket t 775 that has four ddr slots and agp to use my sparkle video card.
just built my msi board.
I found a fried phenom II quad system at goodwill for 5 bucks and got a proccessor, fans, sata dvd, 8g ddr3 and cooler master 550w psu out of it and then bought an MSI 970-g46 and an AMD Diamond 2g vga and 500g HD. now all i need is solid state, 8core and water cool...and the second card to run crossfire. this is my fastest pc yet and hope i can keep improving....researching this site and building old pcs as guinea pigs has helped me learn alot......thanks to all here at computer forums. :)

Kinda confused on what your trying to do. Which drive are you trying to install windows on? Just hook it up by itself on the standard IDE port/blue port and see what happens. If it shows up when you boot to the windows DVD at the harddrive setup page, just delete the partition. make a new one and try installing again.
Sorry. i missed your reply. i was trying all different configurations for this mobo. it has 2 sata raid ports and 1 ide raid port for 2 ide drives. then it has 2 parallel sata ports and 2 parallel ide ports (ide1 & ide2 normal configuration blue/black) the raid side has a promise controller using fastrack which can be disabled to run a normal parallel configuration instead of raid. i have tried all configurations but either no drives are found or they are found but windows is not allowed to boot them. i cant even format or create on the drives. i got it to recognize the ide raid configuration once but when i went to format windows froze for about 3 minutes and the drives dissapeared. i was using windows7 pro.(maybe xp might work for this mobo?) This was the top of the line 478 mobo so i figure someone here must have had one 10 years ago.

??????????????????????:confused::good: Sooooooooooooooooo! did some more research and somone had similar situation and swapped ports an got it to work. I hooked up the master hard drive to secondary ide port and poop howdy im installing 7 on it right now..problem is that its the only ide port that is bootable so i had to use for dvd rom also...something screwy in bios and i am blaming it on promise controller wanting to use a sata rais configuration leaving the secondary ide port functional for cd/dvd rom connectivity. thats my SWAG (scientific wild ass guess). ill have to say that this mobo has been my biggest confuzzlement yet.

now trying to use the ide raid controller but i guess the promise controller is its own entity. array is functional on fastrack boot and appears in boot menu as second devise. usb is in forced floppy mode and is recognized in xp. i was told to run xp and then upgrade to 7 and i will be given updated drivers to run the raid. i found some sata drivers for my mobo that need booting during insallation but i cannot burn them on a flash drive so i can run it in forced floppy mode..........so close. does anyone have any info on making a flash drive emulate a diskette so that i can run the make disc on it?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Why would you want to install XP? There are ways to get around it. Can slipstream drivers.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OK, gonna give a short description of how your drives should be setup. I'm assuming you have an IDE dvd rom drive.

1. Connect Hard drive to primary IDE1 connector (blue) connector, make sure hdd is jumpered for master.

2. Connect dvd drive to Secondary IDE1 connector (black), make sure dvd drive is jumpered to master.

3. Go into bios and change your first boot device to dvd rom, save changes, insert windows install cd and restart computer.

4. Press any key when you see text on the screen that says press any key to boot to cd. Install windows.

You should have no problems doing this. No promise controller, no fast track controller needed. The promise controller is the IDE raid connector at the bottom of the board, don't use it. The fast track controller is the sata raid ports at the bottom of the board, don't use them.

primary ide does not work with promise disabled or in any other setup in bios. i spent days on this and found others had to use secondry. secondary ide now has 7 installed and functional. problem is i want to use the ide raid on promise controller. i am able to set up the array and it is functional in fastrack but cant find it on install...need raid controller booted during install by forced diskette usb but dont know how to burn image to usb instead of floppy.