p4800-e unable to install on ide drive

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you using the raid connector? Raid is only for when you have 2 drives that you want to setup as mirroring or stripping. If you only have 1 hard drive then you don't want the raid.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you still have the motherboard manual? If so, turn to page 5-19 and read on how to create the raid array. You have to access a raid utility to actually set it up first and then install windows. You may be out of luck with this board and windows 7 since technically it doesn't support windows 7. Windows 7 will install drivers from flash drive but XP won't. I really wouldn't install XP as its support as ended and there will be no more updates.

You can try loading the XP driver for the raid controller in windows 7 via usb to see if it will work. Was reading online and have seen where they were using the XP driver for 7. Get the XP driver for the raid controller here and then just transfer to usb flash drive.

http://support.asus.com/download.as...P4P800-E+Deluxe&os=&hashedid=INIJUvLlif7LHp3g

Select XP as OS and then look in the IDE folder for the promise driver.

the raid controller driver is now installed and the array shows up in device manager but not in computer. how do i get to it and can i boot from it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It won't show up in my computer unless the drive is formatted and assigned a drive letter. Look in disk management.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into disk management and you right click on the unallocated space, click on new simple volume if you are running windows 7, then follow the prompts.

you are the man!!.:cool: thanks. in a nutshell for this mobo i had to install 7 on secondary ide, activate the promise, assign the fastrak array, go back in to secondary profile and install raid driver then format through disk management then finally boot win7 from live profile and find array.:confused: the promise raid worked great on my old 20g hd array. now i am installing 2 wd800s in raid.....its funny how you gotta be smarter to install on older computers..thanks again. i learned allot over the past couple of days....that's what these tests are for!!:D

Okedokey

Well done, yeah John knows his stuff, glad its sorted. Stick around on CF, help out others where you can.

so heres the deal.. the raid install seems to be piggybacking on the secondary ide with windows installed because i have to boot from a live os to install on raid as bios still does not recognize it. when i remove the old drive i am back at square one and have no boot device. when i put it back the boot screen shows 2 win7 os to boot from and the second one is the raid system. how do i make it independent?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What happens when you have a hard drive already in the system and you try installing windows on another drive is that the boot files are boot on the original drive instead of the drive that windows is installed on. You will have to install windows while only having your raid array connected.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, but thats the way it works. When installing windows 7 and it won't see the array you have to click on load driver, and load the driver from flash drive. The process is basically cut and dried.

that sucks cuz the driver wont burn on flash. only on fdd and i dont have at this time. how do i burn the image on flash drive?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean it won't burn to flash? Are you trying to install XP or 7? XP will only read from floppy, 7 will read from usb flash.

Okedokey

so heres the deal.. the raid install seems to be piggybacking on the secondary ide with windows installed because i have to boot from a live os to install on raid as bios still does not recognize it. when i remove the old drive i am back at square one and have no boot device. when i put it back the boot screen shows 2 win7 os to boot from and the second one is the raid system. how do i make it independent?

You need to go into Disk Management and repair the RAID.

using win7. driver is a make disk app and only asks to insert disk into drive "a" diskette.
i have the driver on flash but install cannot open it in load driver screen. format not supported.

Okedokey

Ok may be i missed something?

Is this correct?

1. You have 2 HDD both with the same Windows 7 image.
2. You can access either of those drives, but 2 x Boot Options (Win 7) are shown at the beginning?

If the answer is yes to both, access either, download EasyBCD and remove one of the boot installer version of Win 7. Restart and enter Windows 7, right click on Computer, Select Manage, Select Disk Management, Delete one of the Window 7 Partitions, and then Select both disks and create a RAID.

Only do this if you answer both Yes and you have a back up of your files etc.

yeah this is one big brain fart so far.
i have an 80g hard drive with windows installed on the secondary PATA ide port because for some reason the primary wont work. so that is my original install. to use raid i had to boot windows live because i have no floppy disk to boot the raid driver from during install. i can create the array in fastrack controller bios and install the raid driver when win 7 is running and format the array but i remove the single disk with os and windows install will not pick up on the array, it only finds it in an operating windows system. i am assuming to use raid on an older pc a driver is needed before windows can recognize it. please correct me if i am wrong.