PC for 2013 Help Please

StrangleHold

Staff member
For AMD video cards, stick with Sapphire/MSI/Gigabyte/Asus. Even HIS depending on the cooler and price.

wolfeking

banned
sorry for the confusion i meant silver-stone or msi brand on graphics card (which do you recommend) ok and so i should go with 2x8 gb Kingston ram sticks.
As far as I know silverstone does not make GPUs, only Cases, PSUs, and fan controllers (maybe a few other parts).

Will i need a cooling system or can i add a bunch of fans and stuff? (if so what brand do you recommend?) Thanks again :)
Fans can help, but it is not necessary.
Also note, the smaller the fan you use, the louder it will be.

Ram: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1066 Server Memory QR, x8 w/Therm - $114.00 is that a goos set?
Don't use that. DDR3-1600 at the least. 1866 is not much more expensive (generally $1 to $5). I would get 1866 or above.

Eric4753

Which Gpu cooler should I use?

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ -$29.99

or the

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ -$29.99?

Thanks again

wolfeking

banned
those are CPU coolers. and of the 2, get the evo. But I personally would look at another brand. Either Noctua, Xigmatek, or Phanteks.

wolfeking

banned
Well worth the money. Buying a coolermaster cooler is no better than going stock intel. Gets about the same temps.

EvanK

Well worth the money. Buying a coolermaster cooler is no better than going stock intel. Gets about the same temps.

I think you'll find that there are quite a few people who'd disagree with you on that point, including me. You can easily knock a good 10 degrees Celsius, minimum, off your CPU temp with the Evo and a good thermal paste from a brand like Arctic. Is it the best cooler on the market? No, not by a long shot, but it's definitely better than stock, and it's unbeatable in the value department.

wolfeking

banned
Using AS5 on both the Evo and the stock intel I see at most a 5* difference, and that is idle. Load they are flat equal.

EvanK

I don't have temperatures from my stock cooler to compare it with as I never installed it, but comparing the temps that I get to those that people have reported with their stock coolers there's a fair difference, up to 25* at times.

I still say go for the Evo, for only $30 it's one hell of a deal.

wolfeking

banned
Problem is you never see the exact same system with exact same settings reported to compare. At 4GHz with a 2600k, I see no more than 5* difference with the same thermal paste (AS5, which is no where near the best), same settings, same case, same wire management, and same motherboard.

OP can get the coolermaster cooler if he wants to, but it is far, far from a good cooler. Even a low end Xigmatek will be better, and cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081.

EvanK

Fair enough, but I still say go for it. Best cooler for the price IMO, hands down. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this.

wolfeking

banned
I used to think the same thing. But in use, I have not seen any reason to use it. If I was happy running 80+*C, I would just stay with the stock cooler. There are a lot out there that perform better, and are cheaper. Much like trying to go for a CM case these days. Less features for more money when you look at other cases.

Eric4753

So which would you recommend? If the stock cooler keeps it cool enough im fine with that ,but i will be gaming and stuff so I dont know if that will keep the system cool enough.... so what brand and or model do you recommend?

thanks

wolfeking

banned
As long as you don't overclock much beyond 4GHz, the stock cooler is plenty to keep you cool in games. Just keep it at 70* or less and you are fine.

Eric4753

would you recommend a better cooler though because down the road i will probably overclock it to the max.... BTW its my brother who i'm concerned about because he plays 24/7... Are you sure the stock will be good enough?

Also are the intel i7 extreme edition processors any better than the i5 ones?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
In gaming the EE processors are no better.

Stock cooling is fine as long as you stay within about .08V of stock, which should get you to 4.2 or so, maybe more. The Voltage is what creates heat, not speed. 100000THz @ 1V would be much cooler than 1Hz @ 5V.
Get aftermarket cooling if you want, but unless you are really pushing it right now, you are just wasting money.

And just an FYI, it does not matter how long you play a game, it will never get hot enough to do any major damage. Gaming will not even push your processor to it's highest temp for your setup. For that you need P95 or IBT.