Pc for my dad

yorot

Hi there. My father wants to replace his laptop and want to get a Pc which I will build(I already built one computer). Can anyone help me choosing the parts? I want like some sort of budget build but also want to run for a few years. Most of his work is in Lightroom and Photoshop. Thanks from advance.

yorot

Honestly, I really need help with choosing the motherboard, graphics card and the power supply.

beers

Staff member
What other specific parts did you have in mind? Then we can help fill in the blanks.

mistersprinkles

It's worth mentioning that the power supply I included was garbage so as not to affect the budget too much. Also an extra $25 gets you 16GB of RAM if you shop around.

If you want to make that computer better, I suggest you spend the extra $25 for the 16GB of RAM, move up to a better power supply, and maybe consider a less hideous (and less affordable) case. These changes would bump you into the $750-800 range. Not necessary by any means.
Power supply wise in the cheap-er range I like the Seasonic SSR G series, the EVGA B2 (not to be confused with B), Superflower HX.... there are many more. EVGA W and B powersupplies are about as low end as you can get without owning a fire hazard/power surge fail guarantee box (IMO)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Granted, it doesn´t have a 500Gb SSD and has a shitty HDD, but I feel like the rest is worth it.

So you want him to buy latest cpu and motherboard but want him to buy a hard drive that only has 8mb of cache? It's worth spending the extra $25 bucks or so on the 1tb 64mb cache blue drive.

Sometimes I just don't understand the things you post.

Deadpool

So you want him to buy latest cpu and motherboard but want him to buy a hard drive that only has 8mb of cache? It's worth spending the extra $25 bucks or so on the 1tb 64mb cache blue drive.

Sometimes I just don't understand the things you post.

It´s a secondary storage drive, and it´s 7200RPM. Yes, it is worth to invest another 25 on a WD Blue, but it would be outside of the maximum budget.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It may be outside of his budget but would be a stupid idea to get such a low cache drive. No brainer in my opinion. Think outside the box...

Deadpool

It may be outside of his budget but would be a stupid idea to get such a low cache drive. No brainer in my opinion. Think outside the box...

Well the thing costs less than half and fits the budget. I think I´m thinking outside the box to fit the budget, and you can´t.

I compromise the least important part of the PC, to get something better, like the 470 over the TI.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sacrificing quality just to fit budget for a hard drive but picked the 470 over the 1050ti? So your saying the 470 is better then the 1050ti which is fine and dandy but why buy a shitty hard drive? Also if he does lightroom and photoshop why limit himself to such a small data drive? So no, you aren't thinking outside the box.