Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

Russ88765

Hmm, I just looked it up and it doesn't appear to be bad. Nothing worse than using old software, but I could be wrong. Not to beat a dead horse, but it makes me happy that I wouldn't be completely out of luck if I ended up with two different brand cards and wanted to use them both. I wonder if it would work on top of bios flashing and overclocking?

Aastii

VIP Member
Hmm, I just looked it up and it doesn't appear to be bad. Nothing worse than using old software, but I could be wrong. Not to beat a dead horse, but it makes me happy that I wouldn't be completely out of luck if I ended up with two different brand cards and wanted to use them both. I wonder if it would work on top of bios flashing and overclocking?

Do you mean would it work if you were to flash the BIOS or overclock?

Well for flashing the BIOS, yes, it will work no problems People seem to be hung up on the idea that you MUST SLI or crossfire the cards, and this just isn't true. Think of it like having a video card and a sound card. They are 2 completely separate entities working independently of each other. This is what happens when using an Nvidia and an ATi card. Don't think of them as video cards, or rather don't think of both of them as video cards. The main one is your video card. The other can be used as an expansion card for extra video ports so you can use more monitors or can be used as a stand-alone Physx card. It isn't a video card, it is just another type of expansion card.

Same goes for overclocking. They work separately, you are able to overclock both separately, and both will work if you have other overclocks on, for instance on your CPU or memory

Russ88765

Hmm, I think I see what you mean- one chipset handles the processing and one handles the memory or something? I don't get why anyone would want to sli on an amd board though, crossfire is supposed to be more effective I thought.

Aastii

VIP Member
Hmm, I think I see what you mean- one chipset handles the processing and one handles the memory or something? I don't get why anyone would want to sli on an amd board though, crossfire is supposed to be more effective I thought.

You just illustrated exactly what I was saying

video cards are not CPU dependant. In the same way that a Western digital hard drive will work as well on an AMD board as it will on an Intel, even though it is WD, AMD cards will work just as well on Intel as it does AMD, and likewise with Nvidia, even in crossfire/sli. The name doesn't matter, it will work fine on either

Aastii

VIP Member
You need to research a lot more then. Nvidia currently has the best scaling.

The 5xxx cards were damn awful for scaling from ATi, however, the 6xxx cards are a hell of a lot better it should be pointed out. Nvidia do have the best, but it should be pointed out that there isn't a whole lot between them

Russ88765

You just illustrated exactly what I was saying

video cards are not CPU dependant. In the same way that a Western digital hard drive will work as well on an AMD board as it will on an Intel, even though it is WD, AMD cards will work just as well on Intel as it does AMD, and likewise with Nvidia, even in crossfire/sli. The name doesn't matter, it will work fine on either
Hmm confusing I guess. The way i'd understood it was there were upper level intel motherboards supporting either sli or crossfire, but the amd boards only supported crossfire.

You need to research a lot more then. Nvidia currently has the best scaling.

Last I heard the scaling was 70% with crossfire, and sli is up to around 30%.

Aastii

VIP Member
Hmm confusing I guess. The way i'd understood it was there were upper level intel motherboards supporting either sli or crossfire, but the amd boards only supported crossfire.

Intel boards can indeed support both, where as AMD can support 1 or the other. It depends on the chipset. Any AMD chipset (7xx or 8xx) will potentially support crossfire, any with an nVidia 750a or 950a chipset will potentially support SLI

87dtna

30%??? lol, I've never known it to EVER be that bad.

gtx460 and gts450's scale in the 90's percent. All 400 and 500 series Nvidia are 80+ percent. ATI 6k series is also 80's IIRC.

I'm running gts450 SLI, performance is better than a gtx470 by quite a decent margin. Overclocked and I'm at gtx570 performance.

Last edited:

Russ88765

Intel boards can indeed support both, where as AMD can support 1 or the other. It depends on the chipset. Any AMD chipset (7xx or 8xx) will potentially support crossfire, any with an nVidia 750a or 950a chipset will potentially support SLI
So amd board like mine could use sli if no amd cards were on it, and I could have this so called 90 percent scaling?

30%??? lol, I've never known it to EVER be that bad.

gtx460 and gts450's scale in the 90's percent. All 400 and 500 series Nvidia are 80+ percent. ATI 6k series is also 80's IIRC.

I'm running gts450 SLI, performance is better than a gtx470 by quite a decent margin. Overclocked and I'm at gtx570 performance.
Where does it say that I want to read up on this. If that's true there's a lot of mixed talk going around and I want to know the truth.

Aastii

VIP Member
So amd board like mine could use sli if no amd cards were on it, and I could have this so called 90 percent scaling?

No, your board has an 890FX northbridge, which is AMD, and supports crossfire, but not SLI. Like I said:

AMD chipset (7xx or 8xx) supports crossfire, potentially

Nvidia chipset (750a or 950a) supports SLI, potentially.

Nvidia cards work, and can be put in SLI, on an AMD board with the right chipset, but ones with Nvidia chipsets are few and far between, and as Nvidia have said they aren't going to make any more chipsets, the numbers which do support SLI will remain few and far between, unless AMD can strike a deal to develop their own SLI capable NB's, or with Intel to use theirs. But that isn't in their best interests, more AMD boards which support solely crossfire mean more people buying AMD cards to crossfire. They start support for SLI, and they are giving a wider market to Nvidia

87dtna

aastii why do you keep saying SLI won't work on AMD chipset boards? I just gave a screenshot of SLI on my 790fx board.

It's not OFFICIALLY supported, but there's a SLI patch that works just fine.

READ-

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/670810-howto-sli-non-sli-motherboard-gtx5xx.html

SLIon790fx.jpg

Last edited:

Russ88765

That's not bad for the motherboard in any way? Can it be openly discussed? It sort of seems like hacking or something.

87dtna

No, it's all software related has nothing to do with the board really.

Just a tid bit on gts450 scaling for you, -

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=593&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=18

Quote from the article-
two 450's combine to deliver very impressive SLI performance with nearly perfect 2:1 scaling. Crysis Warhead demonstrated true 100% efficiency, while games like BattleForge maintained 98% efficient SLI scaling while Aliens vs Predator and Metro 2033 delivered 96% efficient dual-card scaling