Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

87dtna

OK, can you still get a closer pic of that area...with the CPU cooler and stuff in the shot as well not too close. Do your CPU fans use molex connectors, or 3/4 pins to the board headers?

So, do you have the full 24 pin hooked up or just 20 pins?

Russ88765

The cpu fans had these small white/grey 4pin cables that connected to a larger 4 pin molex, I used the psu's molex cable on them. There were about 4 molex heads off a single cable, did I overload it or something? Will the cpu fans not start until there's an operation that requires the cpu?

87dtna

I'm thinking something is DOA. Ram is most likely. Take one stick out, and try to boot, if nothing, take the other out and put the other back in...in a DIFFERENT color slot try a red one.

Russ88765

When I get a chance, i'll try to check out if the cpu fans are in the cpu fan slot on mobo- I might have put them in the power fan slot by accident thinking each cpu fan was for those two slots seperately. It appears the graphics card is up and running so maybe the monitor will work with it and I can run a memory test later?

87dtna

You shouldn't be able to put the VGA12v into an EPS12v outlet....the plugs have different configuration on the pin inserts (the plastic part is shaped different on around each pin)

Russ88765

No the gpu has pci-e cables going direct from them to the psu, one side is 6pin and I don't remember what the other one was. But for that 8 pin thing on the top left i'm using a dual 4pin to 12pin to the psu. The fans are running off of some kind of multimolex psu cable so I dunno.

87dtna

I just looked, you are indeed using the WRONG plug. You are using VGA cable 12v instead of EPS.

The EPS is 8 pin to two 4 pins.

Russ88765

It's just what was on the other side of it. If it's wrong, why does it turn on when it wouldn't before?

Edit: switched the cable to the 2x4pin to 8 pin, put the two 4 pin side on the top left eatx power slot, and the 8 pin side in the psu. Tested it and everything turns on except for the cpu fans still. I also don't think the psu's fan is spinning, which is wierd since it's still powering components.

Last edited:

87dtna

Doesn't it say on the plug itself what it's for?

It started turning on because some the the CPU pins that are suppose to get power were, but some that were suppose to be grounded got power instead because the pins are different for the VGA 8 pin. You may have fried your board, if you are lucky you didn' take the CPU with it :(

ScottALot

They're attached to the 4-pin motherboard connection I'm assuming? I guess you should get an adapter to hook them up to the PSU.

Russ88765

The fans came with molex adapters, which I plugged into a molex psu cable. Did I use the wrong one, or is it wired wrong?

87dtna

The motherboard appears functional and repeatedly turns on, it's the cpu cooler fans that don't seem to respond..

Are you saying you get video signal and everything? I thought you said your PC wasn't POST'ing just the fans spin (except cpu fans)

ScottALot

In my experience, molex plugs are hard to get on. Try re-plugging the fan in, otherwise the fan might be the thing that's kaput.

kobaj

VIP Member
Well, I rewired things and now nothing turns on. Should I take it to a shop, cause i'm lost.

I apologize as I have not read previous comments on this situation, but my input is below...

Were you just winging this or had you read a couple of guides first?

Basically, what I would do, unplug everything on your PSU except the plug/cable going into the wall. Jump/short (connect a piece of wire, like a paperclip) between the green and the black wires on the 24 pin plug. If the PSU flips on (the fan inside spins up), you're good. If not, you might have fried your PSU.

Then follow the guide above, plugging in your 24, your 4/8 pin PSU plug, GPU plug, HDD plugs. If it doesn't boot, you might have fubared something and we will need to do further testing to check. Oh, take some clear pictures too, if you want us to double check things.

Everything is Murphy proof, so you most likely have not messed anything up majorly bad.

Last edited: