Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

ScottALot

Hopefully it's the PSU because that should solve most of your problems... and Corsair will take it back without question.

Russ88765

I plugged in the fans seperate and tried to run them, but nothin. I killed a high end corsair psu in one day. I would have been better off ordering it from one of those ripoff builder sites. I'm basically looking at an 1100 dollar piece of garbage sitting in my living room, I don't know for certain what's wrong with it or how to fix it. I failed.

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
It's hard to help when you never answer any questions asked.

I noticed that also.

the main point is that you never put the 4-8pin mobo molex in so then by the sounds of it you pluged the wrong one in once noticed?

pulling all of the cables out of all componants and start afresh.
making sure you do them all in order

Russ88765

It's hard to help when you never answer any questions asked.
I did not mean to avoid them; however not having experience with these parts before i'm not sure how to answer. In response to your earlier one, I was not getting a picture on the screen. I was afraid to keep the machine on for any length of time because the cpu fans weren't spinning up, otherwise I would have made it far enough to determine if I was getting video and not just a spinning gpu fan.

I noticed that also.

the main point is that you never put the 4-8pin mobo molex in so then by the sounds of it you pluged the wrong one in once noticed?

pulling all of the cables out of all componants and start afresh.
making sure you do them all in order

I did start fresh but it appears as though I wasn't getting any results from any devices now, except for the motherboard. I tested each component seperately except for hard drive and nothing spun or lit up including the power supply. For some reason even though the psu fan did not spin, it was still powering things. It's looking like i'll have to rma the psu and possibly the mobo also. What order should I have connected the devices in, for future reference?

funkysnair

VIP Member
its not mandatory on how to wire things up but i do mine in stages so i can re-check them.

i plug all the case wires onto mobo, then power connectors to mobo, hard drives/dvd rw, then gpu (s).

then i go about sata cables and fans.

its just me though as i like to double check them if there seated right, too many times have i lost where i was and forgot to plug things in.

87dtna

I did not mean to avoid them; however not having experience with these parts before i'm not sure how to answer. In response to your earlier one, I was not getting a picture on the screen. I was afraid to keep the machine on for any length of time because the cpu fans weren't spinning up, otherwise I would have made it far enough to determine if I was getting video and not just a spinning gpu fan.

Well how long did you leave it on for? Only a couple seconds? Sometimes it takes up to 10-15 seconds for an initial POST on new components.

The CPU fans could not spin for 5 minutes and you won't hurt anything, it takes a decent amount of time to make a CPU heatsink hot when a CPU is idling on stock volts.

So let it go for atleast 30 seconds and see if it post's. If all the fans spin up expect the CPU fans, just try removing one of the ram sticks and do it again. If it still doesn't work, remove the other stick and put the other back in in a different color slot.

When fans spin and you get no picture, something is DOA. Ram is usually the most likely, with the next being the motherboard. And if it is ram, it's usually only 1 stick of ram thats bad so it's worth a shot to try what I mentioned above. If that still doesn't work, I believe your motherboard is shot....and actually it's most likely because you somehow had a VGA 12v plug in the EPS12v socket :(

Russ88765

I don't know what post means. Couldn't get it on after doing what you said. The motherboard lit up, so I don't think i'll worry about that yet. Power supply's fan does not spin when I plug it into the wall, so it must be dead. The motherboard might be, but a new psu will have to determine that. Is it a painful process to rma things?

87dtna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

Power supply fan will only spin when everything is plugged into the motherboard and you turn on the PC.
I don't really see how the PSU is DOA if you got fans spinning up and stuff lighting up. They pretty much either work or they don't.

If you did the ram thing I mentioned, I'm pretty sure your motherboard is dead...... lighting up means nothing.

Russ88765

But I did plug the motherboard into the psu, and then one device at a time- nothing lit or spun up. I also tried changing ram positions but nothing seemed affected or changed. I even waited a little while to make sure it wasn't needing to warm up. I guess I have to rma the motherboard and psu. Do I need to remove the thermal paste off the cpu when I take off the cooler/cpu? Or can I leave the cpu/cooler as they are, but disconnected from the board? I was thinking that way I could skip the paste applying process, and transfer it already completed onto the new board.

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
I don't know what post means. Couldn't get it on after doing what you said. The motherboard lit up, so I don't think i'll worry about that yet. Power supply's fan does not spin when I plug it into the wall, so it must be dead. The motherboard might be, but a new psu will have to determine that. Is it a painful process to rma things?

PSU's will not spin up on their own. You must jumper the green and (any) black wire on the 24 pin connector. If you did this trick and it still did not spin up, THEN yes your PSU is dead RMA is easy.

If it did spin up, then your mobo might be fried. However, did you plug in your front panel power buttons correctly?

As for your CPU/thermal paste. Anytime you move/remove paste, always clean off the old stuff and put on new. Sorry.

Last edited:

87dtna

DO NOT attempt the leave the CPU attached to the heatsink when you remove it from the motherboard. Thats a good way to have the CPU plop off at some point and bend a bunch of pins.
Take the CPU heatsink off, clean the CPU off BEFORE undoing the latch. I just use a normal paper towel.

Russ88765

Ok, won't do it then- thanks for the heads up. Don't I need special solution for dissolving the paste like rubbing alcohol or something? I have seen guys use paper towels, but just want to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

87dtna

I done this with literally over a couple hundred times and never had any issues. Rubbing alcohol will not dissolve the paste.

Jet

VIP Member
Ok, won't do it then- thanks for the heads up. Don't I need special solution for dissolving the paste like rubbing alcohol or something? I have seen guys use paper towels, but just want to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

I usually use qtips to get off the majority of the paste, then use qtips/alcohol to clean off the remainder of the paste.

ScottALot

Rubbing alcohol doesn't dissolve it, it lifts it up... this way, the TIM isn't still inside small crevices and left behind. Use q-tips/swabs with alcohol and then wipe it off with a lint-free cloth. It's quick, easy, and effective.