Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by jancz3rt, Mar 10, 2005.

1. WhoX

WhoX Active Member

Actually I was thinking more about the noise level. I've tried Intel's stock coolers before and they weren't very quiet. Maybe they've improved since I last tried one. How's the one you installed?

2. spirit

spirit Moderator Staff Member

Pretty silent but like above I've noticed the R5 is a quiet case! I slept in the same room as the PC for 12 hours with the CPU running at 100% during a Prime95 test.

3. 87dtna

87dtna Active Member

Found a nice deal on a 780 Ti so I upgraded. Added a second 120mm radiator up top for when I find a good deal on a water block for the 780 Ti.

Also bought another 8gb kit of ram so I have 16gb now.

[​IMG]

mep916 likes this.
  4. Jiniix

Jiniix Well-Known Member

There was actual dust that compressed air/my mouth couldn't blow off the wings, and I didn't bother taking a rag and cleaning them.

Why are we being mean to Calin for not having a case? :p

[​IMG]

5. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

3 way Crossfire? Check.
    Large fan for 3 way Crossfire? Check
    Dinky little AMD stock heatsink and fan? Check

Something seems a bit off here...

6. ninjabubbles3

ninjabubbles3 Active Member

Im actually curious. Is that Corsair fan bolted to anything? Or just hanging there?

7. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it's just sitting there, which is probably fine.

8. Jiniix

Jiniix Well-Known Member

It was from before Bitcoins were impossible to mine with GPUs. Had the fan just lying there to provide additional cooling :)
    Tried connecting some bridges and see if it could game. Didn't work so well :)
    PS: Spent about $40 worth (estimated) of power on getting $30-40 worth of coins. Then coins rose to $300 value - and then I send them to an old wallet in a stupid hangover. BB BTC :p

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  9. ninjabubbles3

Maybe this isn;t the thread for it, but how does mining bitcoins work?

10. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

11. Virssagòn

Virssagòn VIP Member

I remember that bitcoin mining was kinda waste of power. Is that still the case or is a regular miner again able to gain rather than to lose money?

12. ninjabubbles3

13. Jiniix

Jiniix Well-Known Member

With the introduction of ASICs, GPU mining died. Bitcoins are still very much a thing, but you need specialized hardware.
    My HD 6950 2GB would do about 350MHash/s, while my friends GTX 590 would do about 250MHash/s. It was very AMD optimized (OpenCL/OpenGL I don't remember :)).
    ASICs are small, low wattage, one-purpose devices that use about 5-10W and do 1GHash/s or more.
    TLDR: You synchronize your wallet with all other miners, you lend your GPU/ASIC to be used for back-end banking services for Bitcoins and you get rewarded. The more power you can supply (measured in MHash/s) the more you are rewarded. But the overall MHash (effectively PHash at this point) determines the 'difficulty', ie how much you are rewarded.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  14. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

So in short, it's great for people living at their parents home and don't have to worry about the cost of electricity to power the mining machines.

Anyways, I built a new PC last night! I didn't have my DSLR so these are all with my phone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mep916 likes this.
  15. salvage-this

salvage-this Active Member

Very clean Geoff!

Why did you choose for 3x 840 RAID 0 vs M.2? Did you transfer them from your old build?

16. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

Beast of a machine Geoff! Should be able to handle anything you throw at it for the next few years.

And that Noctura heatsink is massive.

17. tylerjrb

tylerjrb Member

Looks great Geoff!, love that board. The new G.Skill RAM looks pretty darn nice aswell. I had the MSI 980Ti's before I swapped them for my EVGA SC ones. They were great cards, Solid build, super quiet. Loved the backplate on them aswell!

18. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Thanks! I had 3 of them from my old build, so I just reused them. I originally had 2 in RAID 0 and one in my MacBook Pro, but I got rid of the Mac so threw the third one in my new desktop. I was originally going to get an Intel 750 PCI-E SSD, but I figured it wasn't worth $400 over what I had.
    I can't wait to start overclocking it!
    Thanks! I love the look of the new board and RAM, goes very well with my white/red/black theme. This is the new G.Skill Ripjaw V RAM as well.

19. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

That mATX board in an ATX case though :p

Looks pretty good though mang.

Edit: I guess that case is just roomy enough to have that effect on full ATX boards :p

20. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Yeah it's a full size ATX board, but the case makes it look tiny :p