Post Your Desktop "Background screenshot"

spirit

Staff member
^ Are you using Pokki as a start menu replacement? That's what I used and it was great!

As soon as AMD get their graphics drivers sorted out, I'll probably find myself going back to Windows 8. I for one quite liked it. Just a shame my AMD graphics drivers didn't play nicely with it. :(

Virssagòn

VIP Member
^ Are you using Pokki as a start menu replacement? That's what I used and it was great!

As soon as AMD get their graphics drivers sorted out, I'll probably find myself going back to Windows 8. I for one quite liked it. Just a shame my AMD graphics drivers didn't play nicely with it. :(

What do you mean? Last AMD drivers have been pretty good to me...
Maybe you should try these: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_x_12_101_2_1_april_16_download.html

Best driver I used until now. It was officially released for the hd7790, but now it's also compatible for others. Even the newest beta driver is worse then this one (while the beta is 'better' then the current 13.1)

AlienMenace

SnoopyvsRedBaron_zpsd3f74303.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

spirit

Staff member
What do you mean? Last AMD drivers have been pretty good to me...
Maybe you should try these: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_x_12_101_2_1_april_16_download.html

Best driver I used until now. It was officially released for the hd7790, but now it's also compatible for others. Even the newest beta driver is worse then this one (while the beta is 'better' then the current 13.1)

I think that Photoshop is a problem still with them though.
^ Exactly. Windows 8 + HD 5870 with 13.1 drivers + Photoshop CS5.1 = flickering screen and crashes (unless you disable GPU acceleration in Photoshop, but that makes everything slow).

I read that the 13.3 beta drivers resolve the problems, but I'm not going to use beta graphics drivers, I'll wait until they get released. ;)

^ Exactly. Windows 8 + HD 5870 with 13.1 drivers + Photoshop CS5.1 = flickering screen and crashes (unless you disable GPU acceleration in Photoshop, but that makes everything slow).

I read that the 13.3 beta drivers resolve the problems, but I'm not going to use beta graphics drivers, I'll wait until they get released. ;)

I still think that you could manage to run Photoshop in a VM if you maxed it out.

That way it uses the Virtual Managements drivers. You could still then use W8. Just beef up the graphics memory allocation, RAM, and 2D/3D acceleration.

spirit

Staff member
Is that a legal copy of windows? As in, are you using a leaked copy?
Build 9364. That's a leaked beta build of Windows 8.1/'Blue' I believe (though it refers to itself as Windows 8 Pro, apparently in a later build it refers to itself as 'Windows 8.1 Pro'.)

novicegeek

My current one

It's not even worth posting. It's a gray background with boldface, all caps, black letters that says, "GENERIC DESKTOP". That's it.

spirit

Staff member
Ok, but he said that I had to install a 32 bit os as one of my RAM sticks is dead.

Yeah... I don't think that was the case. ;)

It might have been, I don't know, but I'm sure I read somewhere that that build was only 32-bit (because I was interested in reading about it).

Though as you said, you can run 64-bit OSes on one stick of RAM and on less than 4GB.

spirit

Staff member
New wallpaper. Took the photo the other day at Wells.

tumblr_mloa5zeFIV1rr8jsmo1_1280.png

Not really wallpaper related, but may as well post anyway: this is why it's good to have 16GB of RAM. When you try and open about 50 or so photos in Photoshop at once, you become thankful for the extra RAM. ;)

tumblr_mllrrql1MM1rr8jsmo1_1280.png

8.75GB used of 16GB, so still plenty to go. ;)

@Spirit

I cant see how you can use your PC without icons on the desktop. They are my life line. I cant put all of mine on the taskbar as I only have a 1366x768
screen :/

I still don't know whether I have got the calculations for the RAM sizes correct though. You have 16GB not 15.7GB or whatever it says. I divide the bytes by 1073741824 to get it into GB, but I don't know whether the intiger returned is usable RAM or total. Its quite complex considering I know nothing about VB.NET.

Last edited: