Power Supply (PSU) Tech Guide

Okedokey

Its a good improvement mate. Still a few issues I think. Well done, especially being sick and all.

gamerwithoutrig

''GTX 580 SLI...........................850W .........................60A
GTX 570 SLI...........................800W .........................58A''
Is this the card themselves that takes 800/850 watt? or the whole system with them?

fastdude

''GTX 580 SLI...........................850W .........................60A
GTX 570 SLI...........................800W .........................58A''
Is this the card themselves that takes 800/850 watt? or the whole system with them?

The wattage figures above are the recommended PSU wattage for the whole system.
So if you had GTX580 SLi you'd want at least a 850W PSU.

linkin

VIP Member
Correct.

Also, I've been looking up that Corsair CX430. It's not a good powersupply at all. It can barely do 350 watts. All the primary capacitors are Chinese or Taiwanese, and it has zero PFC. The design is also similar in the VX450 and VX550 PSU's

So to anyone reading this, do not buy it. Antec and Silverstone have much better offerings in that wattage range, with quality parts.

linkin

VIP Member
I have not looked recently, I shall do it now (even though it's 2:30am and I need sleep, I'll do it just for you :p)

EDIT: It's there now. the AMD website states 550w, for amperage I have used a "safe" value until I can find some solid sata.

The GTX 560's TDP is said to be 180w, by the CEO of nvidia himself... that's for the card only of course.

Last edited:

fastdude

I have not looked recently, I shall do it now (even though it's 2:30am and I need sleep, I'll do it just for you :p)

EDIT: It's there now. the AMD website states 550w, for amperage I have used a "safe" value until I can find some solid sata.

The GTX 560's TDP is said to be 180w, by the CEO of nvidia himself... that's for the card only of course.

Aw thank you:D

Right, 550W is pretty good. Best to be on safe side eh?

Yeah... Wonder what the reference cooler'll be like... Maybe vapour chamber like its big brothers, but then again its just revised GF104, not GF110

Giantz

I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make if my power supply has 38 amps on the 12v rail thing and crossfire 6850s require 40.

would the results be drastic??

bomberboysk

Correct.

Also, I've been looking up that Corsair CX430. It's not a good powersupply at all. It can barely do 350 watts. All the primary capacitors are Chinese or Taiwanese, and it has zero PFC. The design is also similar in the VX450 and VX550 PSU's

So to anyone reading this, do not buy it. Antec and Silverstone have much better offerings in that wattage range, with quality parts.

CX430 does use chinese (Samxon) caps, could be better, definately could be worse. Yes, the +12v rails are rated @ 350W, but it does have active PFC (IIRC in the EU switched mode power supplies are required to have at bare minimum passive PFC, not 100% sure on that though). What does really let down the CX430 however is the efficiency, not even up to 80PLUS standards.

The seasonic S12II and even the ATNG built rosewill units are better quality though in the same price range...

Last edited:

BLITZKREIG99

Dell Dimension C521. And i just purchased a radeon hd4650 so i need more power. I haven't found anything that would help but i was going to attempt to do an external PSU. I was looking at a Thermaltake TR2, because i saw someone routed it through the computer.

Last edited: