Power Supply (PSU) Tech Guide

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Plenty of times before. Driver updates, Windows reloads. I just want to see if I can find a solution. Otherwise I'll live until I build a new rig or update my GPU.

jonnyp11

Sometimes my games freeze up, the audio screeches, artifacts appear, the game crashes, and everything artifacts until I reboot my PC. It's weird. Anyway, done the usual driver update and so on?

i had issues like that before when i was overclocking the igpu on my emachine, then stopped and it stopped, just thought i'd mention since you have a superclocked edition.

linkin

VIP Member
I've gone through 5 video cards, two CPU's, at least four kits of RAM, two SSD's and two PSU's. So no. HDD has no errors either, I scan that regularly. I'm beginning to think it's a windows 7 problem.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I've had it for maybe 6 months. I get random video driver crashes (that can recover) and other video crashes that don't recover and reboot the system.

I had the same issue with my other 750W Antec PSU; that's why I got this one.

Doubt its a P/S issue. The Cooler Master is ok, but it really only has in the 450W range on the 12V rail. I've seen that happen with a issue between a sound card and video card driver.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Like, I had more issues when I had my X-fi Titanium installed it crashed a lot more. Not so much these days, but it still happens.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Maybe try uninstalling your sound drivers and disabling your sound in the bios and see what happens. Anything just to try tracking it down.

ROFLcopter

Would it be bad if your PSU wattage matches the video card usage exactly? I have an Antec 750w continous PSU and a ATI 6950 video card. I saw the list states that crossfired 6950's require 750w. Should I upgrade to a 1000w PSU?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would it be bad if your PSU wattage matches the video card usage exactly? I have an Antec 750w continous PSU and a ATI 6950 video card. I saw the list states that crossfired 6950's require 750w. Should I upgrade to a 1000w PSU?

You don't understand the chart. The chart means if you are going to crossfire 2 6950's then you need a 750 watt psu with that many amps on the 12 volt rail.

ROFLcopter

So the chart is the recommended minimum size PSU that you should use with a particular card(s)? Good to know I don't have to buy another PSU :). Thanks

linkin

VIP Member
Everyone,

I will get around to updating this list again, bit more difficult working full time but I promise that it will get done in the next month :)

Cyalume

I have a few questions.

HD 6990 Crossfire.....................850W ..........................54A

Isn't the amperage determined by (Watts/Voltage)? If the HD 6990 is 850w, why isn't the amperage 71?

How much headroom should I allow for when buying a power supply?

Darren

Staff member
It's 54 amps off the 12 volt rail, not across the whole PSU.

Obviously more is better but you should be fine with 850 watts for that setup as per suggested.

linkin

VIP Member
I have a few questions.

HD 6990 Crossfire.....................850W ..........................54A

Isn't the amperage determined by (Watts/Voltage)? If the HD 6990 is 850w, why isn't the amperage 71?

How much headroom should I allow for when buying a power supply?

I would say 25% headroom. Need 400W? get 500W. Need 600W? Get 750W