Votes: 1 8.3%
  • RESERVED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
So these posts regarding the programming sticky got me thinking:
From what I can tell, there are very few. Makes me sad how we fought for the Programming Sticky and now it's never used.

Nyxcharon programs, and I think Ankur.

Yea...I also noticed that...too bad... :(
We should do something about it! :cool:

I know there's a handful of programmers here with varying levels of skill in a given language. Is there any desire from any of you guys to start something? Some kind of project, it doesn't really matter what it is, I don't have an idea myself yet. I figure, at worst we end up with some "garage-band" level software and at best a good idea that we can refine and maybe take somewhere.

Let me know what you think. I'm not overly interested in ideas just yet, I want to gauge interest first.

Failing that, maybe some kind of monthly challenge or maybe enter the various online programming challenges as a team.

NyxCharon

I'm all for either idea, personally.
The main thing is if we decide to do a software project, we need to pick one language, which might turn into a large debate.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the language of choice could be a bit of a problem, but I suspect it will be narrowed for us based on what everyone who wants in knows. Hopefully that will make an obvious winner :)

NyxCharon

Yes, the language of choice could be a bit of a problem, but I suspect it will be narrowed for us based on what everyone who wants in knows. Hopefully that will make an obvious winner :)

On that note, I'd suggest that those in favor list what languages they use?

Advanced:
Java

Intermediate:
Bash

Basics:
Perl
Python
Php

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Great idea mate!

As I said in my post before,I am already working on a project in C# language.
It's called UAC keyboard spy version 1.0. (I might rename it to UAC computer spy version 1.0. Still thinking what to choose)...

But sure I can work with you too while I am working on my project AS SOON AS I finish the STAGE 3 of my work in the small UAC data center I am currently working on.It should not take me more than 8 to 10 days.

Anyway I have a picture of the software I took a LONG time ago:
uacr.png

NOTE: This picture is taken MORE THAN A YEAR ago and the software NOW has a lot more options than it did back then.I have added hardware protection (basically all the hardware is scanned to prevent piracy of course),I have optimized the RAM and CPU usages,I have added encryption protection (and vice versa "decryption" of course),I have enhanced some E-mail sending options,I have added mouse click screenshots option,made it hidden from the Task Manager processes list,fixed MANY bugs and a lot more...

After I finish the software completely then I also need to make the damn installer application for the software so that the users know how to install it.They will be able to install it from CD disk directly,ISO file or with pure files compressed in ZIP.

After that I need to make a SECOND way of installing which the users will be able to use IF they are in rush to put it on someone's computer without anyone seeing what they are doing lol.
It will work from USB stick which will contain the UAC software files of course plus few BAT files and VBS script files.The user just plugs the USB stick in the computer,waits for 30 seconds or so and the software is installed.(It is a spy software after all lol).

So anyway there are 2 different types of installing it and the user can choose which one they want:

1. Normal as any other software by using installer setup...
2. Plug USB stick in available USB port,wait for 30 seconds or less and the UAC software is installed.(During the installation for those 30 seconds or less,the installation procedure is of course completely invisible)...

Anyway that is what I am going to try to finish as soon as possible AS SOON AS (as I already said) I finish the STAGE 3 of my work in the small UAC data complex center working environment room I am working on.I need to finish that since that is going to be the main place where I will hold ABSOLUTELY ALL MY DATA including the entire source code for this UAC software I am working on and everything else I have and will have in the future.

In the mean time,I have also (just for fun I guess lol) added some cool music in the game Black Mesa Source at the end of the game.(Actually XEN border world is the end,but for now it was LAMBDA CORE).I have added the music which starts when the user (player) goes through those big last door at the end of the game (the room with that big portal).
In the future (just for fun while I am resting from my C# project I guess) I am planning to add more great musics through the entire game by of course preserving the original musics on their original placements.Anyway here is a youtube video I made after I finished that.Feel free to skip to 14:00 (unless if you want to listen me talking like nuts xD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Nm4XHWhGs

By the way the SOUND quality is NOT bad in the game like it is in the video.It is that bad in the video ONLY because of the way I was recording this with old version of fraps lol.My apologies :D
In the video description I gave a link to the map BSP file and music MP3 file.So feel free to download it and try it yourself in the game.

And the music I used was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSFeaXd7-s

Alright so much from me for now.:D

Cheers!

Darren

Staff member
I know a basic amount of C++. Whatever a year of high school C++ would equate too. Also some very basics in C#.

spirit

Staff member
Well the only language I can program in now is VB.NET but I'd like to learn C#, so I voted for that.

Punk

Staff member
Great idea mate!

As I said in my post before,I am already working on a project in C# language.
It's called UAC keyboard spy version 1.0. (I might rename it to UAC computer spy version 1.0. Still thinking what to choose)...

But sure I can work with you too while I am working on my project AS SOON AS I finish the STAGE 3 of my work in the small UAC data center I am currently working on.It should not take me more than 8 to 10 days.

Anyway I have a picture of the software I took a LONG time ago:
uacr.png

NOTE: This picture is taken MORE THAN A YEAR ago and the software NOW has a lot more options than it did back then.I have added hardware protection (basically all the hardware is scanned to prevent piracy of course),I have optimized the RAM and CPU usages,I have added encryption protection (and vice versa "decryption" of course),I have enhanced some E-mail sending options,I have added mouse click screenshots option,made it hidden from the Task Manager processes list,fixed MANY bugs and a lot more...

After I finish the software completely then I also need to make the damn installer application for the software so that the users know how to install it.They will be able to install it from CD disk directly,ISO file or with pure files compressed in ZIP.

After that I need to make a SECOND way of installing which the users will be able to use IF they are in rush to put it on someone's computer without anyone seeing what they are doing lol.
It will work from USB stick which will contain the UAC software files of course plus few BAT files and VBS script files.The user just plugs the USB stick in the computer,waits for 30 seconds or so and the software is installed.(It is a spy software after all lol).

So anyway there are 2 different types of installing it and the user can choose which one they want:

1. Normal as any other software by using installer setup...
2. Plug USB stick in available USB port,wait for 30 seconds or less and the UAC software is installed.(During the installation for those 30 seconds or less,the installation procedure is of course completely invisible)...

Anyway that is what I am going to try to finish as soon as possible AS SOON AS (as I already said) I finish the STAGE 3 of my work in the small UAC data complex center working environment room I am working on.I need to finish that since that is going to be the main place where I will hold ABSOLUTELY ALL MY DATA including the entire source code for this UAC software I am working on and everything else I have and will have in the future.

In the mean time,I have also (just for fun I guess lol) added some cool music in the game Black Mesa Source at the end of the game.(Actually XEN border world is the end,but for now it was LAMBDA CORE).I have added the music which starts when the user (player) goes through those big last door at the end of the game (the room with that big portal).
In the future (just for fun while I am resting from my C# project I guess) I am planning to add more great musics through the entire game by of course preserving the original musics on their original placements.Anyway here is a youtube video I made after I finished that.Feel free to skip to 14:00 (unless if you want to listen me talking like nuts xD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Nm4XHWhGs

By the way the SOUND quality is NOT bad in the game like it is in the video.It is that bad in the video ONLY because of the way I was recording this with old version of fraps lol.My apologies :D
In the video description I gave a link to the map BSP file and music MP3 file.So feel free to download it and try it yourself in the game.

And the music I used was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSFeaXd7-s

Alright so much from me for now.:D

Cheers!

Is that a keylogger? :O

NVX_185

Great idea OP, it certainly would be awesome to do this! Working on a team project at CF sounds like a great idea to me. I'm a year and a half into my software eng. degree, so by participating here I'm sure it would push my knowledge too.

I've only really done C and Java at the moment, but I'll be learning Perl and Python this coming semester. Either way, I've voted for Java given its wide popularity/implementation, its cross-platform support, along with its intuitive OOP-based properties. Good to know there are others on this forum who truly care about programming (I'd rather like to call it software engineering :p). We could have a public repository on Git where we can all collaborate/learn or something.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it looks like there's enough interest. The next thing we need is an idea. It doesn't have to be original, if we can do something better than what's already available that's good too.

Based on the early results it looks like Java will be the language of choice but I don't think we should rule anything out based on that yet. A mobile app could be a the best idea (for which we could possibly use Java).

Troncoso

VIP Member
Great idea OP, it certainly would be awesome to do this! Working on a team project at CF sounds like a great idea to me. I'm a year and a half into my software eng. degree, so by participating here I'm sure it would push my knowledge too.

I've only really done C and Java at the moment, but I'll be learning Perl and Python this coming semester. Either way, I've voted for Java given its wide popularity/implementation, its cross-platform support, along with its intuitive OOP-based properties. Good to know there are others on this forum who truly care about programming (I'd rather like to call it software engineering :p). We could have a public repository on Git where we can all collaborate/learn or something.

Software Engineering and Programming are not the same thing...

Anyway, a mobile app doesn't seem so bad an idea. We could use libGDX, which let's you develop simultaneously for Windows/Linux/Mac/HTML5/Android/iOS. I mean, it's technically a 2D game library, but it could easily be useful outside of games, considering how it let's you port your project between platforms.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Not that it would be successful in anyway, but another possibility is a game. This would allow more of the CF community to get involved without having to be able to program. A lot of us play games, so anyone can make suggestions, we could have designers, artists, audio...people, people to write a story/dialogue.

Not that it would be that practical. But, an idea, either way.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. The idea could come from anyone here, not just someone who will be working on it.

And it doesn't have to be a game, a lot of other projects have the need for artists, audio, etc. Like maybe something to help teach music to kids.

I have a game idea, but I haven't figured out all the design elements yet. Basically it's a reverse Angry Birds. You get a limited number of pieces to build a castle that will stand up to the barrage for a given level.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I voted for .NET since .NET languages are my favorite.
But sure I can use Java too.It is very similar to .NET languages I use so it should not be a problem.

As for the project ideas,why not make multiple different things?
Since some of us are better in ONE area and others are better in OTHER area.

So sure...we can ALL work together,but since some of us are better in one area then that group could more work on one project while others more work on other project.For example:

PROJECT 1: A game of your choice
PROJECT 2: Simple program for Windows

Like you all already said.It doesn't have to be anything big and complicated.It's important that we are all a part of it.

So...Project 1 could be a simple game...nothing special comes on my mind right now.It can be something simple as a...I don't know...a math game competition so it can be useful for kids to practice.For the beginning we can use simple +,-,x,/ and %.
But like I said...it can be ANYTHING else.

As for let's say Project 2,I was thinking last night what we could do.
You have probably noticed that many users (new ones) here on forum when they have problems with their OS,they of course need to let's say peform CHKDSK or SFCSCAN now or whatever...
Also many people do NOT know how to let's say format and prepare external USB disk for use or how to defragment the drive.
Or some users would like to have a simple data backup program which backsup data in the specified time and so on...
Not to mention that most of the Windows functions have many switches (parameters) which you can use to modify the process such as the COPY process in CMD.

Anyway...the thing is...many people do NOT know how to use CMD and Windows files such as "xcopy.exe" in CMD to do the job right.
Or "diskpart.exe" file and so on...it can be anything...

So what I was thinking is that we could make a small and simple but useful application which would enable the users to perform (to some complicated tasks in CMD) all these Windows tasks with just a mouse click on a button.

Of course we could add extra options using simple check boxes (which would actually be CMD switches) so users would not need to have any knowledge to use Windows tools.

Here is an example:

A user wants to create a partition on the USB drive so he could use it for data storage.So instead of him using Disk Management or doing that in CMD using DISKPART,we could make it so damn simple so that user can do all that by clicking a single button on a form.

And we would do the same thing for everything else such as:

chkdsk.exe
xcopy.exe
move.exe
diskpart.exe
format.exe
defrag.exe

And a lot more...

We would of course include these files in the application folder itself just in case.And instead of showing the process output in CMD,we would show it inside of the application using let's say...RichTextBox control.

So anyway...it was just an idea.But I think a simple tool like this would help users do these things a lot easier without requiring for them to have ANY knowledge.And of course we could put that application here on forum for the download and with time we would be updating it with new features and put new versions on forum for the download and of course remove the older versions.

Here is an example for let's say..."chkdsk.exe" file:
scrIbhNfh.gif

These are just ugly pictures I found on google.We would make it a lot better and more simple.Like I said...one mouse click on a button.

I don't know...I think that this would make many users happy. :D

NyxCharon

^Interesting idea (windows util), but I'm hoping to making something cross platform, not something windows specific.
As such, I'll go ahead and volunteer to package any program we make in to a .deb file for debian/ubuntu users, assuming it's linux compatible.