Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RESERVED

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • RESERVED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Troncoso

VIP Member
I think it'd be better to start off with just one project, to see if the community is even able to collaborate enough to make something tangent. And, based on the thread replies, there are very few actual programmers, or at least programmers that are interested. So, the purpose of my suggestion was to get more involvement outside of the code.

I think we need another poll to get tabs on how many people would actually be interested and what they could contribute, if not programming.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You could make a browser-based game (NOT based on Java) :)

True but unless we do something in HTML5, that probably means flash.

I agree with Troncoso, a single project is best. Like he said, we don't even know if we are actually capable of working together on it.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Like some of you already said...We do not even know if all of us together can and are even interested to work on a single project.Like Troncoso said...there are not really many programmers here so for that reason maybe we could start with something simple such as simple Windows utility I thought of before which on our luck does not require many programmers to work on since there are not many programmers here on forum anyway.It doesn't have to be a game immediately.

In my post,Troncoso said:

"Makes me sad how we fought for the Programming Sticky and now it's never used."

So I think that if we start with something nice and simple as I suggested in my last reply,it would be a great start.It doesn't really matter what we are going to make.The entire point of this (if you ask me) was that the Programming Sticky (for which Troncoso said is never used and I agree),that we MAKE IT USED now. :p

How?

I doesn't matter.As long as we are working together on something,we are hanging out with each other and also having fun and the Programming Sticky will be alive and people will comment as we update the software and of course we will provide them to download it and use it. :D

And we don't have to IMMEDIATELY make something so damn great what will work on ALL platforms.
Think about it...most of the users use Windows OS anyway so why not simply just START (without thinking are we capable of working together or not because we ARE) by making something so damn small and simple as application which works on most of the Windows operating systems and which will ALSO help MANY people.And since all of us here are already familiar with languages like VB,C# or C/C++,why not make something simple as this in...let's say...C#.
C# is a nice and great language so why not just start with something so damn small and simple in it and just TRY to make it together AND TO HAVE FUN the WHOLE time. :cool:

What I am trying to say is that it is IMPORTANT THAT WE HAVE FUN WITH EACH OTHER WHILE WE ARE DOING THIS.;)
It doesn't have to be anything BIG and SUPER GREAT lol.

And sure later we can make new things in other languages as well as updating the previous software we made with new features.

Let's not complicate lol and for a start let's make something simple as this.The whole point (as I already said) was just to make Programming Sticky alive and make people interested in it AS WELL OF HAVING FUN ALL THE TIME. :D

Cheers!

Troncoso

VIP Member
Everyone already voted on Java, mate. The syntax is extremely similar anyway, not to mention cross-platform. There isn't really anything special we have to do to the code to run it on these different platforms, so it's just as simple.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Yeah that's true.Syntax in Java is almost the same as it is in C# and even in C++ (at least to me lol).
Okay then...Java it is.

I currently do not have Java installed,but I will put it on my test computer 2 so I will do the work on it.

larsch

Everyone already voted on Java, mate. The syntax is extremely similar anyway, not to mention cross-platform. There isn't really anything special we have to do to the code to run it on these different platforms, so it's just as simple.

One thing is the syntax, another thing is mastering the framework. The similarity goes away there.

About java and www... It is a dying breed. More and more people tend not to have java installed.

NVX_185

Software Engineering and Programming are not the same thing...

Indeed they are not :) I meant that I'd rather call the art of creating programs 'software engineering' rather than programming. Adding the engineering process to software creation ensures your program isn't just 'tested' correct, but proven correct.

I personally think we should develop a simple game first... As already mentioned, it gets more members of the community involved (members can provide ideas on how they want parts of the game to look like). The 'programmers' can then show the rest of the forum the current progress and get feedback from them -- this keeps everyone involved on a regular basis... I think there's enough interest (judging by this thread); it's a matter of getting people to provide ideas, and then getting members who can translate these ideas into code.

Tuffie

I VOTED FOR RESERVED #2!!!!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside, my skills are in Java and C++, particularly Java. I'd be interested in working on a project, as long as it were a one that had some real value to add to peoples lives or the end goal was to draw a profit and for that profit to be shared among the dev's and used to further the next projects.

I say phone apps is where it's at, they are so easy to monetize.

My opinion is that the project would be very dependent on the management skills and availability of a specific few. Good communication as well as a good platform for work (intranet?) would have quite an impact on viability. As much as I hate to be a downer, the reality is everybody lives busy lives as it is; a lot of people aren't going to be able to deliver requested work or it won't be to standard etc etc. As much as everyone can confidently talk now, these projects require a lot of prior planning and follow through...

Troncoso

VIP Member
Haven't seen you around in a while, Tuffie. And everytime you post, I still hear it in Jackie Chan's voice....

Anyway. I think all people that are interested in participated have said so in this thread. The poll winner is Java, so that's settled. A game seems the most likely type of software. Should we have a vote on that, just in case? It'd be something the rest of the community could vote on.
Then we need to come up with an idea for the type of software....
The plan it...
Modularize it...
Distribute responsibilities....
Setup an SVN, github....repo, or something.....
??????
Profit?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Tuffie. If anything is to come out of whatever we make (if anything, being completely realistic) I fully intend for it to be shared amongst the people who helped make it happen. We'll need a solid design to work from and I also expect that a couple people will be handling the lions share of the work. That's just the way these things always seem to go.

As far as a platform to work in, I figure a git/sourceforge project should suffice. We will need (unfortunately) someone to manage deadlines as well when the time comes.

NyxCharon

I'm all for setting up a github project for this. We could make it an organization, and then add people as needed as contributors to this.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
It's important that we work together and have great fun!
It's not like we are going to make something great and sell it :p
At least not yet :p

Tuffie

Haven't seen you around in a while, Tuffie. And everytime you post, I still hear it in Jackie Chan's voice....

Anyway. I think all people that are interested in participated have said so in this thread. The poll winner is Java, so that's settled. A game seems the most likely type of software. Should we have a vote on that, just in case? It'd be something the rest of the community could vote on.
Then we need to come up with an idea for the type of software....
The plan it...
Modularize it...
Distribute responsibilities....
Setup an SVN, github....repo, or something.....
??????
Profit?

Yeah mate, been posting on all my forums heaps on and off. You can be rest assured though I am lurking..

Only missed a couple steps of the process:
software-life-cycle-royce-1970.gif

Agreed Tuffie. If anything is to come out of whatever we make (if anything, being completely realistic) I fully intend for it to be shared amongst the people who helped make it happen. We'll need a solid design to work from and I also expect that a couple people will be handling the lions share of the work. That's just the way these things always seem to go.

As far as a platform to work in, I figure a git/sourceforge project should suffice. We will need (unfortunately) someone to manage deadlines as well when the time comes.

It's not like we are going to make something great and sell it :p
At least not yet :p

This is why I suggest a phone app. Have any of you guys looked at some of the 'trending' apps in app stores..? The majority of them are super extremely simple. Also remembering that to make monetize you don't necessarily need to have a good idea, or even charge money for the application by offering them for free and placing ads in them (it's superduper easy as well).

We could create a framework for an application, then use it in a 'cookie cutter' fashion to create many apps all which have similar functionality but appeal to different demographics or interest groups..

I believe we need a private place for those who are deemed as viable team members to discuss this. Preferably split into several separate topics.

Not to mention how easy it's getting to port from Android to iOS: http://www.infoworld.com/d/applicat...translator-eases-path-ipad-iphone-apps-202377

I'm all for setting up a github project for this. We could make it an organization, and then add people as needed as contributors to this.

Doesn't Github charge a fee? I understand there's an Eclipse plugin for github, which is kewl.

I feel it's most important that before running, short steps are taken and fundamental things are identified: an idea and we ensure we have all the required committed skill (UI designer, management, people mad good at analysis and specification + UML).

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
What compiler are we going to use for Java anyway?Net beans...,eclipse...or some others...?
Net beans kinda seem cool :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Github is free if you only want/need public repos. Otherwise it's $7/month or $25/month. I think the $7 would do if that's the case, I don't think we'd need the mass permission controls that the business plan provides.

In any event, we probably have enough to go on to start gathering potential ideas. Lets get a second thread going so that we can get everyone in on submitting them.

Once we have a few ideas we can look at each.
What compiler are we going to use for Java anyway?Net beans...,eclipse...or some others...?
Net beans kinda seem cool :D

The Java compiler.....

I assume, by your question, you mean IDE. Probably Eclipse.

Last edited: