Project: Watery

Mankz_91

Well, it’s been quite a while since I’ve updated this project, but GCSE’s, work and sport have really gotten in the way of this project, which has actually been really fun to design and manufacture. My GCSE’s are primarily in May, and it looks like I have about 20 free days while I have access to the laser cutter during June, when I’m planning to do most of the work.

So, moving onto the project, I have decided for the n’th time to change back to an mATX layout, still using the two layers. Now, though, there will be the second radiator on the top level, although I am still undecided about whether to use single or dual loops for the cooling. I will be using an external DVD drive to both save space in the bottom layer and because I can then have the PC on a separate desk with the DVD drive over by my screen. Moving onto the reservoir, I was never really 100% happy with overall outcome, so I’ll be redoing that too, this time using separate layers of 10mm and 3mm acrylic, instead of using panels to construct it. The 3mm will be coloured and etched. As for hardware, most probably Intel, and I’m quite taken by the Asus P5E-VM G35i motherboard, as it has the features of an ATX board, but with mATX sizing. However, by the time I’m ready to install it, there should be G43i and G45i motherboards available, which should be good.

Anywho, thats where things are for the time being...

As always, thanks to my sponsors, who have helped me greatly throughout this project so far:

HWLabs SpecialTech Feser 1

Mankz_91

My Sleeving of choice is AC Ryan's UV Green sleeving in various sizes. As for sleeving, I'll be doing it MurderBox style, so sleeving every cable individually with the 3mm.

These are the other current parts to be sleeved.

Various bits of heatshrink and sleeving.

I've also got some new Feser 1/2" G1/4" Compression fittings comming in the next week or so from Mario @ TFC. These fittings will fit in brilliantly with the theme of the mod too :D
For this stage of the mod, a massive thanks to www.specialtech.co.uk, and especially Ayd for the sleeving, CCFL's, SATA cables and the PSU aswell! Most of this mod wouldn't be possible without their help:thumb:

Mankz_91

Wooohoo! I got my res cut today!

I still need to etch the logo's and to tap the back panel with G1/4" holes, and M5 threads for mounting.

So, the pron.

Any one drooling :D

Mankz_91

Time for some water-cooling bling.

The second I saw these 1/2" compression fittings, I knew I HAD to have some for my build. I aslo got one of the Xtender shrouds to mount on the front 120mm fan for visual effects.

No source of heat though, so heatshrink hasn't shrunk.

Mmm.. Clear-ness.

LED's for the Xtender

Mmmm. Compressiony.

A BIG thanks to The Feser Company for the parts in this update :D

Mankz_91

My PSU arrived today, and its very nice. Unfortunately, its going to be ransacked by yours truely. I'll need to shorten all of the cables in the PSU for my various parts, and change the units colour from black silver. Unfortunately, getting the PCB away from the bottom of the case is IMPOSSIBLE! so I may have to use silver vynal instead. :(

I might have to try and cover the PCB with cardboard and then. Waaah!

Next stage in the project is going to be buying a motherboard, I was looking at this one:

XFX 630i mATX Motherboard because it really fits the colour scheme, while being a good all round board!

I fully de-sleeved the PSU, and will go and buy a hole load of solder, a soldering iron and one of those 'third hand things' to help me get my sleeve on.

My plan for this summer is to do all of the sleeving so its 100% perfect and the exact right length aswell as collecting all of the hardware, and starting the customisation on the motherboard and the DVD and HDD drives.

:D

just a noob

wondered when you were going to update this thread again, just saw it on xtreme systems lol, and where do you go to buy the feser 1 cooling fluid?

G25r8cer

OMG!! I am officially jealous. Cant wait to see the finished product. Who knows maybe I will start a project this summer.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Looks great, Dude. Can't wait to see the finished thing, well, the next update actually!

I spy out your Window! You be in London?

Mankz_91

and where do you go to buy the feser 1 cooling fluid?

I had it sent to me :eek:

Looks great, Dude. Can't wait to see the finished thing, well, the next update actually!

Should be monday-ish. I need to go and buy a soldering iron etc. before I can continue.

I spy out your Window! You be in London?

Outside, in Berks.

just thought of something, couldn't you use a heat gun to seperate the pcb if its held down by adhesive?

The cable that go from the socket onto the PCB seem to be soldered to the underside of the PCB, which I can't get at. Where the cables connect to the socket, there is a plastic shroud which I don't really want to butcher.

just a noob

i think if you could get your hands on an industrial heatgun you might be able to melt the solder because some of them get to 400 degrees farenheit, but im not sure you would want to expose pcb to that kind of heat for that long, i know when i make turbo controllers you expose the pcb to the shortest amount of heat you have to otherwise it melts into something like a resin