Radeon 5970 HD

Joshua1187

Hi,

When any intensive part of a game (ex. L4D2) like shooting an oozie 1 or 2 lines across the screen show while its flashing. I'm assuming this is a video card issues. Any ideas?

joh06937

probably just vertical sync not working very well. it can happen in some games. is it just like a weird almost colorless line that briefly shows up or does it have a distinct color to it?

Joshua1187

probably just vertical sync not working very well. it can happen in some games. is it just like a weird almost colorless line that briefly shows up or does it have a distinct color to it?

That's exacly it, colorless briefly shows! It shows on the benchmark for ffxiv when somthing flashes as well.

Joshua1187

not much you can do about it.

Will overclocking the gpu a little help? I don't think I've ever noticed it before and now its driving me insane!

Another question, on the benchmark I score about a 3700 on high res but the best score is 8000. Should my rig be scoreing higher? Or does 3700 sound reasonable for what I got?

joh06937

i don't think oc'ing will help much.

to be honest i have no clue. i haven't played that game.

EDIT: ah, looks like because it runs in windowed mode it won't work with crossfire/sli so sounds like you are getting appropriate scores.

Joshua1187

i don't think oc'ing will help much.

to be honest i have no clue. i haven't played that game.

EDIT: ah, looks like because it runs in windowed mode it won't work with crossfire/sli so sounds like you are getting appropriate scores.

HA, well how the hell does anyone get an 8000 score?

Joshua1187

probably a crazily oc'ed 480/5870 and an i7.

#1 - Thank you for always being very helpful and patient with me.

#2 - How does a 5870 outperform the 5970? I've seen in many places where this looks to be the case but I don't understand, why would a later card be worse then an earlier card? Keep in mind I'm sorta a newb to computer hardware these days XD.

joh06937

no problem :p

the 5970 at stock clocks is sort of 2 5850s but when you overclock it to the 5870's clocks, it is 2 5870s (so basically it is a pair of underclocked 5870s on a single pcb). since the benchmark is running in a windowed mode, the card is basically a single 5870, giving you a lower score.

not sure which benchmarks you mean particularly but it could just be driver issues that cause low fps (you see that A LOT with crossfire 5970 setups where a single 5970 will outperform a single 5970). got a link to a specific one that you are referencing?

Joshua1187

I've got CCC which the video card came with.. im not sure what that does.. haha, i have HWMonitor which likely is not going to show what your asking about. Shall I just DL what you referenced?

joh06937

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

click on the downlaod button to the right and install.

when done, open it up. to the right should be a bunch of graphs. find the ones that say "gpu1" usage and "gpu2 usage". then run the benchmark and watch those two graphs. one should go up to around 95% or so and one should stay at close to 0% (if i am right that is :p).

joh06937

yep, that's why. so really, if the benchmark was fullscreen as it should be, you'd be most likely be getting around 7400 :) what clocks are you running on the 5970?

joh06937

nope, that's stock. you could oc that quite a bit more. just depends on what kind of fan noise you can handle :p

joh06937

hmm, open up ccc and check what the sliders under the "overdrive" category say. they should be higher than 735. what specific 5970 is it?