replacement motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuryRosewood

im running on my 3rd board on the same OEM windows key... *shrug* IMO if its only existing on one piece of hardware at a time, MS could care less

G80FTW

It would certainly be better, but just to clarify, you'd need to purchase a new licence.

No he doesnt. If all he is doing is swapping the motherboard, if he has problems with windows activation he can just call Microsoft and tell them he swapped boards and they will activate it. Done it hundreds of times.

And to go from 32-bit to 64-bit you can talk to them about that, I think its either free or cost little if its the same OS.

Okedokey

No he doesnt. If all he is doing is swapping the motherboard, if he has problems with windows activation he can just call Microsoft and tell them he swapped boards and they will activate it. Done it hundreds of times.

And to go from 32-bit to 64-bit you can talk to them about that, I think its either free or cost little if its the same OS.

If he is not replaceing it with the exact same motherboard, it contravenes the OEM licence and he will need (technically) to replace the key.

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the licence for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software.
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=sT47vvANFRx

G80FTW

If he is not replaceing it with the exact same motherboard, it contravenes the OEM licence and he will need (technically) to replace the key.

According to a few people I've spoken with, they say that if I were to use the same chipset and CPU in a different motherboard that it tricks windows into thinking it's just the same motherboard. I'm not going to have the same chipset so it may throw it off.

Now will windows pop up and say to put in a different key (or the same key that microsoft might release again) or will it not even come up at all and I may have to format and reinstall?

Okedokey

Replacing the motherboard will not require buying a new license. Like I said, Iv done it a hundred times and it does not violate the EULA to swap out motherboards and use the same license.

Dude, ffs, i just quoted microsofts licence. Did you read the link? Clearly no, as it says EXACTLY opposite to what you're saying.

If you change the motherboard, (thats what the OS is linked too) you require a new licence. yes if its the same motherboard or same chipset you may get away with it, but you claim you have done it hundreds of times (i don't believe that because your machine is rubbish) but either way, you don't tell the OP its going to be fine when there is a reasonable chance it wont.

Last edited:
Guys quit arguing over rather the key will work or not. I have my ways on that particular subject, which I will not talk about here. I'm not totally worried about that part. If it works, great..if it doesn't work..I guess I'm installing my 64 bit version and I'll be fine. The main reason this thread was posted was about the motherboard.

For the people searching through boards on information about whether their Windows CD key will work or not ; yes, we all know Windows sometimes doesn't like it when you change the motherboard and will request another CD key. In which, you can call Microsoft and request your CD key be released from the system it was on and reset to be available again, or purchase another key. I have reset a CD key numerous times by calling Microsoft after changing out a motherboard on a system. As for converting over from 32 bit to 64 bit, I'm not sure about that cause I have never had to do that. It may be just as was above stated, call Microshaft and find out if they'll give you one for free or for a minimal charge.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I've done it before quite abit on the same key. Just call them up, had to change the board, blah/blah/blah, could not find the same board, blah/blah/blah. Reactivated it every time. But I dont know if you can get by with it more then once on the same key.

I've done it before quite abit on the same key. Just call them up, had to change the board, blah/blah/blah, could not find the same board, blah/blah/blah. Reactivated it every time. But I dont know if you can get by with it more then once on the same key.

I'm pretty sure they can tell when it was last reactivated and if it has been some time since last reactivation, they should be able to see that something might have gone wrong with the system. I've actually had to reactivate mine 3 times in the same week before, so I know it can be done. and yes those 3 times were on the same system. I had a hard drive failing on me and did not figure it out till after the 2nd installation of windows was reactivated...lol

Anytime I have spoken to someone at Microsoft they have been pretty decent, and as long as you explain the situation and let them know that the CD key is no longer used on any other system but the one that you are about to activate they will give you the information needed and if they don't, hang up and call back and hope you get someone different.. ;)

<note> Unless they tell you the key is blacklisted..You will never ever get a reactivation on one of those.. lol.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Well then to answer your question, really any motherboard that is compatiable is going to be fine with that system. You wont be overclocking much, or pushing anything high end, so just get something that works...

G80FTW

Dude, ffs, i just quoted microsofts licence. Did you read the link? Clearly no, as it says EXACTLY opposite to what you're saying.

If you change the motherboard, (thats what the OS is linked too) you require a new licence. yes if its the same motherboard or same chipset you may get away with it, but you claim you have done it hundreds of times (i don't believe that because your machine is rubbish) but either way, you don't tell the OP its going to be fine when there is a reasonable chance it wont.

You can assume all you want. Unless they have changed their EULA since 2008, you can legally swap out EVERYTHING in your computer and use the same key. It does not REQUIRE you to have a new license or pay for a new one, it will simply trigger the windows activation. After which, you call Microsoft and tell them you swapped hardware and they will activate it for you.

I have gone from AMD to Intel on the same operating system. If you dont believe me or anyone else, call up Microsoft yourself and ask them instead of assuming things.

I have been building computers since 2001, and I ran XP from 2002 until 2008 on 4 different builds. But I only had the OS installed on one machine at a time, and thats all they care about.

And you referred to an OEM license, which is different. If he has an OEM computer, then that is a different story. But it doesnt sound like he does.

OEM is tied to one machine, retail is NOT.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Dude, i quoted microsoft ffs and WHERE OH WHERE does it say anything about retail??? It doesn't and in all likelihood he has and OEM licence (in actual fact reading between the lines i see torrent).

So it is you who is assuming, not me.

And you've been building computers since 2001??? Well whoopdy doo! I was building computers at 12 years old too, but that was before you were born.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Dude, i quoted microsoft ffs and WHERE OH WHERE does it say anything about retail??? It doesn't and in all likelihood he has and OEM licence.

So it is you who is assuming, not me.

And you've been building computers since 2001??? Well whoopdy doo! I was building computers at 12 years old too, but that was before you were born.

Youv been building computer since before I was born (custom building computers in 1988 was pretty uncommon if at all) yet you dont know the difference between an OEM version of Windows and a retail version?

Why does he likely have an OEM version? Sounds like he custom built his PC. And if so, he most likely bought a retail version not an OEM version. I dont know any self respecting PC builder who uses OEM versions on their personal builds.

Im sorry that everytime you built a new PC you went out and wasted money on a new OS instead of calling Microsoft.

G80FTW

ttp://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=sT47vvANFRx

Yup, thats the OEM license. Try searching for the retail one and get back to me.

Mystery solved:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...change-a/4c88a473-fb4e-4ec6-ac2e-39ae6e079c7a

"Yes you can reinstall the full reatail version. Most likely you will need to activate by phone since it was already activiated on your old motherboard.

How to activate Windows 7 manually
1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
5) Stay on the phone and wait for a person to help you with activation."

According to Microsoft, they still have no problem with you upgrading your motherboard and keeping the same OS key.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Who says he has retail? Alot of people build their own computers with an OEM licence mate. ...

And in 1998 (after i had finished school - when i was 21) yes, pentium 2, Riva TNT gpus and Voodoo 2 in SLi were being built. This was my beast when you were just a gametophyte in your dads pants:

Intel Klamath Pentium II 266MHz
32MB RAM (SIMMs)
4GB HDD storage
ATI Rage Pro 3D card w/ 2MB vRAM.
CD-ROM drive
56k dial-up modem
Windows 95

So mate, unless the guy has a retail OS, which to be honest is less likely and not confirmed, there is still the chance that he will need a new key. If he changes the mobo he will definitely need one with an OEM licence. And discussing workarounds is agains the forum rules so shush.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

Full retail windows you can basically do what you want with as long as it is installed on one machine at a time.

OEM you can change any component except motherboard or cpu without any activation issues, if your change motherboard or cpu you do need to re-activate but it is not a problem you call microsoft explain you replaced a faulty motherboard etc and they will re-activate your oem license.

Starting with windows 8 you can no longer get full retail box, so oem is your only choice.

I think most people would feel ripped off, if they had to replace a faulty motherboard and were told by the way we are stealing your copy of windows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.