replacement motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G80FTW

Who says he has retail? Alot of people build their own computers with an OEM licence mate. ...

By a show of hands, who buys an OEM version of windows when they build their PC. Anyone?

Why would someone buy an OEM when they have to buy a new one each time they build a new PC (or as stated they can lie a little bit to keep using it)

Either way, Microsoft still has no problem with you swapping out motherboards.

As has been stated, all Microsoft cares about is that the OS is installed on a single machine. When you buy an OEM or Retail version, you are buying a license to use it on one machine. If you build a new PC and keep your old HDD, it is still only installed on one machine. Its not rocket science.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-7/no-oem-you-windows-7-oem-packaging-not-individuals

Last edited:

Okedokey

Windows 8 in Australia is $400 (retail) the OEM is $150, so in fact its actually around a third.

Btw, a CPU has nothing to do with the licence, only the motherboard. HAL activation went out with Windows XP.

jamesd1981

Lets`s put your nonsense talk to rest from microsoft themselves.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=7Xtbr41xker

System builder license section, 8th question down.

Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same licence? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

Answer

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the licence for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the licence of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software Licence Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The End User Software Licence Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the computer manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

The key section is this

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the licence of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent

Firstly it states only if the board is defective, well they have no way to prove if the board was defective or not.

Second it should be replaced with same make/model, but this is not always possible as after a board is discontinued it may not be available to buy, so you then explain to microsoft you replaced a faulty board the exact board was not available so you had to use a suitable replacement.

G80FTW

Windows 8 in Australia is $400 (retail) the OEM is $150, so in fact its actually around a third.

Btw, a CPU has nothing to do with the licence, only the motherboard. HAL activation went out with Windows XP.

Windows XP had a lifespan of about 7 years. If you are a regular builder, multiply that $150 x 5 you have paid $750 for something you could have paid $400. Save money now spend twice as much in the future? Good plan. And if you build a computer every time a new platform comes out to have the best, then your spending over $1,000 just on an operating system you could have legally just paid the $400 and used that software for every build.

It just doesnt make sense to buy OEM, especially here in the states where Windows 7 Home is $200 retail and $110 OEM.

Windows OEM is NOT meant to be sold to the end user. It is for system builders who sell their computers, not build them for personal use.

Last edited:
Windows OEM is NOT meant to be sold to the end user. It is for system builders who sell their computers, not build them for personal use.

And my computer was a custom built PC, therefore I have the retail version.(of Windows 7 Professional) Should have been noted with the motherboard type, don't think I've seen a Dell, HP, or any other complete store bought system with an Asus M2N32 Sli-deluxe motherboard in the build.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This thread has got out of hand. If its a retail version, There is nothing to talk about. You can upgrade as much as you want. It can only be activated on one machine. As far as OEM, back to what I said in post 29.

Hey stranglehold? gotta question...

When I do get my motherboard for my system, would you mind re-opening my thread so I can update the installation end of the deal? As long as the OEM and retail guru's withhold their intelligence from us in that thread for the rest of the duration? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.