Restarting?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Another problem, I tried to install the latest driver for my onboard sound and it gets to 94% and stops, windows new hardware thing then pops up and says new hardware found what do you want to do, I can't install it becasue it doesn't know its there when I have sound and it clearly is!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, So after all that, I can't get the latest sound drivers, my sound went when I tried, so I had to put the ones that came with the MOBO disc back on, that works again.

I got the latest ATI drivers no problem, phew!

I'm not updating the BIOS becasue I don't have a floppy drive and I don't want to risk it doing it through Windows!

and I un-installed the drivers for my monitor because they aren't needed and they may of been clashing with my ATI ones, just wait and see... :cool:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, So I thought it was Ok becasue it hadn't restarted for a while, I did all the stuff mentioned above and it did it again! Why?

Ok,

I'll try some more RAM in my computer if I can persuade my Dad.
Could it be the HDD, it is a bit old?
Could it be the CPU, again, it's old?

Please help! :(

PC eye

banned
First you have to slow down a little to give someone else time to respond. It's a little awkward trying to flip back and forth between pages. :p When you want to add more simply use the edit to add to the last reply. I'm going back over the entire thread with the feeling we are still missing something.

On the flash program you have to go with blue there. This program perform only a partial update by one section at a time. The green section to abort the update which you don't want there. Start off with the boot section and run that. If you don't see the screen later to update the main block you will have to restart the program in order to update the main block and see that done. Hopefully you will see a good flash and this will correct the problems you have been seeing.

The time you lose information and the cmos is cleared is when on old boards you simply moved the jumper back and forth while on the newer boards since those days you remove the battery from the holder. A fresh battery? At this point absolutely since a weak battery will see the loss of cmos information at times. With the new supply the one idea right off is to make that it doesn't have any defects. Too bad you didn't have another case to throw it in while still under warranty to see if the new one is foobar? Have it tested anyways.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Just as I was typing a reply it restarted :mad:

I don't know if this helps at all but I had music playing and the sound juttered and then reset...

I'm not going to flash the BIOS becuase I don't have a floppy drive and I've read that it isn't safe to do through Windows. It would wreck the whole MOBO and I don't want that, well... Hmm.

Could it be an old HDD or CPU?

PC eye

banned
I used winflash tools at times on the older Socket A boards here without problems. But the lack of a floppy drive for a dos utility suggests it may or might not burn to a cd-r good. The instructions seen on this model come up in a popup window that you would want to follow closely even if you slao a floppy drive in a 5 1/4" drive bay adapter for this.

»BIOS Update UtilityASRFLASH.EXE: The Flash Memory Writer utility is included in the WinZip format of BIOS file. It updates the BIOS by uploading a new BIOS file to the programmable flash ROM chip on the motherboard. To determine the BIOS version of your motherboard, press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during bootup, and check the BIOS version from the Main menu. Larger numbers represent a newer BIOS file. This utility works only in DOS mode. (How do I check the BIOS version?)

How do I check the BIOS version?1.The BIOS version can be found during system boot up.
id-1.gif
2.The BIOS version can be found in BIOS setup utility.
id-2.gif

The Flash Memory Writer utility can not be suitable for all ASRock motherboards. Please use the Flash utility which is included in each BIOS file to update its BIOS. Also ASRock motherboard MUST use ASRock's Flash utility to update BIOS, those uncertified BIOS flashing tools will cause motherboard damage.

»Updating BIOS Procedures
  1. Create a bootable system floppy disk.
  2. Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save both ASRFLASH.EXE utility and BIOS file to the disk you created in step 1.
  3. Boot from the disk you created in step 2.
  4. At the "A:\" prompt, type ASRFLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\ASRFLASH K7S41GX2.00 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
  5. After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Flash ROM Update Completed - Pass", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
  6. After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
  7. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
  8. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
  9. Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.
»Notice
Warning.gif
If you encounter problems while updating the new BIOS, DO NOT turn off your system since this corrupt BIOS might cause your system failed to boot up. Just repeat the process, and if the problem still persists, update the original BIOS file. If the Flash Memory Writer utility was not able to successfully update a complete BIOS file, your system may not be able to boot up. If this happens, your system will need service. http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=K7NF2-RAID

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for the link to the drivers for my MOBO, will I have to get the Nvidea chip ones even if I aren't using it?

Do I have to update the BIOS?
Could it not be anything else?

PC eye

banned
Updating the drivers for the board is routine there. The update should have it's own installer to see those go right on. Without a floppy drive the winflash method looked pretty basic there. You may have to start it up twice to see both the boot and main blocks updated.

Backing up the current bios may not be such a bad idea either if you see a bad flash for some reason where a second copy would then need to be downloaded. Often however some will require backing that up on... a floppy? or at least into a folder for possible burn to a cd-r if you have a cd writer? The links here should be reviewed carefully. If it turn out to be the board you'll be glad to see the newer EZ Flash type bios on a new model board.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/41/

http://www.toejumper.net/rescue3/bios3.htm This one also points out the common need to replace the Lithium battery common on most boards. If that has grown weak it can cause a few problems.

The easy method for the AMI bios there is to read this.
Backing Up AMI BIOS

AMI Bios software is interactive, which means you don't need any fancy command to backup your BIOS. Just tell the software, using its menus, to save the BIOS contents to a file. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/41

Kornowski

VIP Member
If I loose the original BIOS but have it saved and the flash doesn't go right, I won't be able to put the BIOS back on becasue it wouldn't boot if it didn't have it would it?

Well, I'm seeing how the sound drivers have affected it, it hasn't done it for a day or two, it may of been that? *fingers crossed*

EDIT: Wasn't the sound drivers, did it again! :(

I'm starting to think it's more the board.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
That BSOD is from the ATI driver seen right there. Did you just put the latest catalyst. 6.11 on? Remember you are running an older AGP model there. That same type of error was seen on the last build a few times until going back for the Cat. 5.11 for a Radeon 9550 model. You probably won't be able to use a version over 6.4 or 6.5 unless installing the basic drivers only. Unfortunately the newer CATs see often see problems on older cards.

As far as the board I advised going with a different make when you first got that one. The winflash method usually goes on much easier then the older floppy style dos tools where you have to type in everything in letter and number for letter and number to see it work. Since you are already in Windows you can also redownload a fresh copy if something foobars on you during the first attempt. If it is the board with a major problem it won't hurt trying to see it updated since that may be what it needs.

Kornowski

VIP Member
So, You're saying I should go with an older CAT? or just use the latest display drivers?

I know updating the BIOS is one thing to try but I really don't feel comfortable doing that... Do you have a link to a suitable CAT that I could use please :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I was thinking, when I went to the ATI / AMD web-site, I had to select my card and it gave me the drives I have now, the latest one.

Why would they do that if they knew it'd cause problems?

PC eye

banned
A winflash method of updating the bios version usually goes right on without problems. You can even run it a few times while Windows is still running to see a good flash when you see all blocks change color. Sometimes the latest catalyst can still be a problem depending on the software environment and games you run. A game like HL2 will throw a prompt up as soon as a new version is available.

Yet you can still run a slightly older version to avert problems or even disable it from autoloading with Windows. The catalyst itself only acts like a desktop manager with color correction, vpu recovery if a game stalls on you, or sets up a mutl display by extending the desktop. It's generally not an essential item and can be shutdown while Windows is still running if problems are seen when gaming. It's been known for this.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right, So I tried just the latest display drivers, that didn't work, restarted.

Then I trued the drivers that came with my card, that didn't work, restarted.

So I searched for the file casusing the problem, restarted.

And finally got to this:
untitledus9.jpg

What should I do?
I'll try the drivers PC Eye suggested.

PC eye

banned
After removing and reinstalling and removing to reinstall again I would add that a good run of a free registry cleaner will help clean up excess reg values to avoid seeing driver clashes. http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegCleaner_d460.html

The Catalyst can also be disabled from automatically loading with Windows or simply shut down by right clicking on the icon usually seen in the system tray. If you use the msconfig to disable it from automatically starting up you can manually start it at any time with the desktop icon generally seen. Before installing one version make sure you totally remove the existing set of drivers with the ATI uninstaller. Something left over may be what you are seeing there with the blue screen message.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, It hadn't done it for about 3 days now it did it again, while playing FEAR, but the blue screen was emptyy, it was just blue, no text?