Restarting?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm going to try over the week-end leaving it on for a while, but just in the BIOS and if it restarts that way I know it isn't a software issue...

Fr33d0m

Check to be sure you are not overheating as well. Back when I did not know a lot about overclocking, I tried to overclock my system without a good amount of fans and it would frequently overheat and reboot. Make sure all your fans on your system are workign correctly and nothing is too hot.

PC eye

banned
I thought you had temps ruled out when previously checking the hardware monitor in the bios. The problem you are having mainly points at the supply as being an unstable element. It simply isn't handling the normal demands on power like it should.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, my temps are fine!

I've left my computer in the BIOS since 8:30am today, it's now 5:30pm and it was still in the BIOS indicating that it hadn't restared, does this mean that the problem is software related?

PC eye

banned
Most everything while in the bios is either idle or simply not loaded yet where there is any demand on for power. Once you load all of the video and sound drivers as well background services and other things the load on the supply increases. With the recent fresh installation of Windows the virus and clutter of unnecessary items causing problems is almost totally ruled out there. And how long has this been going on?

It keeps coming back to a shaky supply or some board or cpu fault being seen. Memtest didn't find anything. By the way memtest is now included in Vista as a new startup option!

Kornowski

VIP Member
This has been going on for about 3 or 4 months now... Yeah, I don't think the BIOS thing would actually help...

That's good, all the little things I keep hearing make it sound more and more tempting.

PC eye

banned
On the leat build here there were times months it saw a cooked cpu it would start rebooting suddenly while in the middle of something. With memory later ruled the stock hsf was replaced. The remaining problems seen were system freezeups on some occasions until the 3rd party cpu cooler quite one day. The thing to note there however was the sudden restarts weren't constant. Much of that surprisingly turned out to be sound not video drivers until that one fateday where the cpu went.... d... o... a... :eek: :(

Kornowski

VIP Member
WHAT THE HELL! IT JUST DID IT AGAIN!

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW PSU AND IT STILL DOES IT! WTF CAN IT BE!?

I'M PISSED! :mad:

Here's what it tells me!!!!! :(

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFA3F378 BCP3 : ED8F4898
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0528.dir00\Mini022307-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0528.dir00\sysdata.xml

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
WHAT THE HELL! IT JUST DID IT AGAIN!

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW PSU AND IT STILL DOES IT! WTF CAN IT BE!?

I'M PISSED! :mad:

Here's what it tells me!!!!! :(

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFA3F378 BCP3 : ED8F4898
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0528.dir00\Mini022307-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0528.dir00\sysdata.xml

ooh man thats bad...it must be something else but i dunno:(

PC eye

banned
You're caught in a catch-44 as well as a catch-22 there apparently. You just ruled out the supply as the problem being seen unless some other problem has come up on you. This is starting to point more at the board or cpu even unless you are now in a software driver dilemna. With the recent reformat that does rule out "bugs" while not the programs you have installed during this time if there are no hardware faults found.

StrangleHold

Staff member
What voltage are you running the CPU, think that one was 1.6-1.65V. I,ve built a few XP 3000 systems that did the same thing. The 3000 ran at 1.6-1.65V but some boards would default it to 1.6. Things would just restart out of the blue. Jumped the voltage to 1.65 and it Fixed it. I just figured that some XPs low voltage settings was at the borderline!

PC eye

banned
The XP2400+ is on the system there. The Atholon boards I ran never saw that until the cpu fan went foobar seeing high temps. When the stock hsf was replaced from that the fan on the 3rd cooler failed to see overheating. But the temps there seem to be well within tolerance. Voltage problem, bios eprom, failing chipset, you name it at this point except for the supply.

Kornowski

VIP Member
You're caught in a catch-44 as well as a catch-22 there apparently. You just ruled out the supply as the problem being seen unless some other problem has come up on you. This is starting to point more at the board or cpu even unless you are now in a software driver dilemna. With the recent reformat that does rule out "bugs" while not the programs you have installed during this time if there are no hardware faults found.

Yeah, I know.

I could try another install of XP and see what ti does...
How many times can you install XP Home?

How did you manage this now you posted at 9:25 while I posted at 9:24 yet your post is seen ahead of mine? That's another glitch that seems to have come up. :confused: less costly however.

I posted an hour behind you :p

What voltage are you running the CPU, think that one was 1.6-1.65V. I,ve built a few XP 3000 systems that did the same thing. The 3000 ran at 1.6-1.65V but some boards would default it to 1.6. Things would just restart out of the blue. Jumped the voltage to 1.65 and it Fixed it. I just figured that some XPs low voltage settings was at the borderline!

untitledaj7.jpg

Don't know if that helps at all...

Would increasing the voltage not damage anything at all?

The XP2400+ is on the system there. The Atholon boards I ran never saw that until the cpu fan went foobar seeing high temps. When the stock hsf was replaced from that the fan on the 3rd cooler failed to see overheating. But the temps there seem to be well within tolerance. Voltage problem, bios eprom, failing chipset, you name it at this point except for the supply.

The hsf are all attatched and the fan is spinning fine.
Temps are Ok too, Idle at 34c, load 43c.

I was thinking, I may have more brass stad-offs in the case than I need, could these be touching anything on the MOBO causing it to short circuit?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right,

So I checked my BIOS and PC Eye suggested I change my FSB from 166mhz to 133mhz, but it was set to auto and was already at 133 mhz.

I couldn't find an option to increase the voltage either in my BIOS.

PC eye

banned
Generally if you have something touching ground on the board the system won't even start. Many times people have ended up taking the board out and lying on a non conductive surface with only the supply and video card when they thought the board was no good on a new build or when swapping cases.

Bringing up the voltage setting especially on an older cpu where you don't know ehere the problem whether hardware or software at this point could be disasterous for the cpu if that was in the process of going on you. When the old cpu here cooked I found it would run at the 166mhz setting in the bios while failing at the 200mhz setting. But I knew what the problem was.