Restarting?

PC eye

banned
The only time I seem to have ever saw repeated and unexpected system restarts was on the last build where something simply overheated once too often. Without a trace of a virus or other malware a damaged or missing even cross linked set of drivers causing a clash would see various problems. XP has it's own "crash control" method of restarting the system if a crashing program is about to totally lockup the system. But I find myself skeptical on just how effectuve that is to start with?!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, so it just did it again while I was surfing the net! :mad:

It's really peaving me know...

It says these files:

C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd6e9.dir00\Mini010907-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd6e9.dir00\sysdata.xml

C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1bf5.dir00\Mini011107-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Daniel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1bf5.dir00\sysdata.xml

and I know get directed to this page! http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/....2.0?SGD=ca4b299c-2b7e-46e1-850f-51981c0af1d7

GRRRRR!

Any ideas whats wrong? Is my hard drive about to die?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I just reformatted it when I built it, about 2 months ago... I don't get whats the matter... What about the Microsoft Report?

PC eye

banned
Those are memory dumps whenever you see those error messages. While most of the autosend message to MS doesn't tell you much keep an eye out for any specific error. Sometimes it will bring you to a page that specifies just what the error is about. One thing I found when running across those was a need to update drivers for the SB Audigy 2 sound card installed at the time. Other times it was the video drivers. That was seen on the old build not the present one on many occasions.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've got the up to date ATI drivers for my card, I'll get the latest sound drivers too if I can find them... I did note though that somebody said that it could be to do with Java and once they'd removed it the problem went... I have noticed it started since I installed Java 2 (I think that was what it was called)... Do you think this could be the problem also? Thanks a lot guys!

PC eye

banned
Have you seen any improvement since removing it? If not you will have to start disabling if not removing other things until you know the problem. Java was simply a means to replace the MS version of a virtual machine. The updated versions of different softwares and drivers can see problems at times with the existing environment. Driver conflicts, memory errors now being seen, and even a virus/malware still undetected are a few items to still look at.

PC eye

banned
If it does happen within a day's time take notes on just what you were doing and what was running(foreground-background) at that moment. Make a list of those things to see if you can spot at least one thing different then at other times like now when no problems come up. Being familiar with your software as well as hardware environment can be a big help at times isolating headaches like software driver conflicts.

PC eye

banned
I found this patch that Windows released:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=3D41A046-0E2C-429F-8F40-F30014ADC3BB

I donwloaded it, but it says that I cannot install it if I have Service packs installed, Should I un-install them and the run the patch and then download them again... Or do you not recoment it?

Also, I got the latest driver for my sound card, I don't know if it will help...

Thanks for any help :)

That patch is SP1! You don't want that if you already SP2 on for a certainty. SP2 is far better to have on and leave on. Your problem clearly pointed more at a driver related issue then the need to update releases of XP prior to SP1. SP2 and the newer security fixes are the move if that wasn't already on.

The link to that was probably due to problems seen more often with the initial release of XP. In fact the latest games and softwares mandate that SP2 be installed. The only thing you should be removing would be video and sound drivers/softwares for updates on those. If you need SP2 you can download and save the full 266mb redistributed service pack to a folder from http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-XP-SP2-RTM.shtml

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have both SP1 and SP2... I was just wondering if I should un-install them... Install the patch and then install both SP's again?