Restarting?

salman

Hi there, i would recommend at least trying to reinstall xp again, its not gonna make your problem any worse. I know you have only reinstalled it a litlle while ago but still give it a shot. By doing this you could also try and identify which softeware(if it is a software problem) is causing these problems by installing one software package at a time and then testing your computer. i hope this helps.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, that is a good idea, Thanks :)... I don't know weather to leave it or not as I may be gettning a new MOBO and CPU after February... I just want to make sure that if i got that then the problem wouldn't continue with the new hardware...

salman

np. If i were you i would just try and hold out until you do get your upgrade and see how it goes from there, however if you rely on this computer for your homework, GCSEs etc i think it would be worth spending a Saturday or Sunday reinstalling XP and experimenting with which software, or driver could be causing this problem.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't know if new hardware would fix it though, I really hope it would!
I could do... It does it a lot when playing a game though....

PC eye

banned
A few things can mess you up when gaming. First the video card will draw more power at that time. You are placing a good load but nowhere as near as much as running WMP at times on the cpu. While you are not seeing a high cpu temp the thought occurs of a possible VPU not CPU overheating being seen. Remember you still haven't isolated whether it's hardware or software. But the recent reinstall of XP suggests a good look at a hardware fault.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I haven't put XP back on, I don't know if I will, My card doesn't have any temperature sensors on it? Do you think purchasing a cooler for it may solve the problem, I didn't have this problem on my old case and this didn't have any problems... Wait, theres an intake fan on the side of my case, right next to the GPU, I don't think it can overheat...

PohTayToez

It's definitely not the PSU, and I don't see how it could be the HDD. If you have your windows disk, try repairing windows.

PC eye

banned
When gaming or even more demanding running full screen multimedia playbak with a screen saver going like seen in WMP the draw is on more then the video card alone. Once you start taxing the sound as well as cpu and memory to add to the demands on a video card the demand for power comes into play.

There are some tools for getting temps on video cards. But those are more or less getting data from board sensors unless you install one directly onto the card itself. The possibility of the card overheating while gaming wouldn't be a great surprise except you are not ocing it. Without that playing a role the supply becomes a likely concern.

salman

So, It's probably the PSU then...

Do you have access to a second computer(a friends computer maybe?) If you do you could try temporarily swapping around the power supply just to diagnose the problem and then if this doesn't work try temporarily swapping around the graphics card (thats if it is the same interface AGP or PCIx16). hope this helps.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't think there is anybody that would let me do that...
I think my graphics card is fine... It's right next to an intake fan so it's pretty cool, I don' have anything to tell the temp of it though...

PohTayToez

He said that it was saying that there were specific files to blame for the restarting, and in my experience, when a power supply is to blame the computer just restarts, it doesn't display an error message first.

Jet

VIP Member
I don't think there is anybody that would let me do that...
I think my graphics card is fine... It's right next to an intake fan so it's pretty cool, I don' have anything to tell the temp of it though...

So you've tried ATItool and it doesn't show anything?

PC eye

banned
With this being seen on a stock system and an unknown 400w supply the likelihood of that being unstable increases greatly. This has been the one common factor through all this upon seeing the temps within normal ranges. The ATI tool being referred to there is the ATI utility for OCing ATI model cards. A review and download of the latest version is found at http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Kornowski

VIP Member
COLORSit 400U

+3.3V = 20A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 20A
5V = 0.5A
-12V = 0.8A
+5VSB = 2.5A

Input 230VAC 10A 50 60Hz

Thats my PSU... So, I get that tool and check the temp of my GPU and see if it is overheating...

salman

Hi there, like some of the others i think it is likely to be your PSU. From where did you buy your PSU, how long have you had it, is it still under guarantee. On one occasion when the cheep PSU on my old computer died (unfortunatley it had just gone out of the guarantee) i took the rest of my computer down to microdirect, where i had bought all the seperate components from, and they were more than happy to test wether or not the rest of the computer was working and wethere it was thye PSU that was cvausing my problems

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've had it about a month or two... It came with my Case... lol.

I don't live near Microdirect so I can't take it there...